william_kent

I did attempt to recover my copy of the KRS-ONE, DA TEACHA, THE FIRST INSTRUMENT GOSPEL OF HIP HOP from some perilous stack of books

and even he is confused

4 elements? ( I listed those )

but then he talks about 8?

and then 9?

1694215622101.png

1694215755023.png

tired and emotional at this point

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
My guess is that beat boxing doesn't get brought up as much any more because too few people do it. Records dominate hip hop and the only people I can think of who beat box on records are Doug E. Fresh and Timbaland

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
he even includes BMX later on

non-canonical
And skateboarding! KRS understood intersectionality early, I guess. Remember, KRS defined "hip hop" as a hip movement, a youth movement. In that way we can say that all youth movements are connected by a kind of intersectionality.

william_kent

My guess is that beat boxing doesn't get brought up as much any more because too few people do it. Records dominate hip hop and the only people I can think of who beat box on records are Doug E. Fresh and Timbaland

oh come on

Biz Markie - Make the Music

foundational

i thought you grew up with this, being from ny and all

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
because drum machines were really fucking expensive back then

you could get a PhD on the subject if you did your research
Good point. Hmmm maybe I should write a dissertation on hip hop. I've been meaning to read The Signifying Monkey for a long time...

And for the record, the only Biz song I grew up with was "Just a Friend". I grew up in the glam/bling era, when 50 Cent ruled the charts.

william_kent

I have a boring tale of how I was reading this book on a train

51lg6SV2uVL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and some drunk guy sat next to me and he could still focus and he started letting loose on me

"disgusting"

"filth"

1694217961309.png

malelesbian

Femboyism IS feminism.
I have a boring tale of how I was reading this book on a train

51lg6SV2uVL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and some drunk guy sat next to me and he could still focus and he started letting loose on me

"disgusting"

"filt
The Dozens are super-fascinating. Most American music has its roots in slave music too.

william_kent

Rudy Ray Moore - Dolemite - Signifying Monkey

He was never married and had no kids. I heard rumors over the years that Rudy was gay but I never saw any evidence of it. I have heard stories and have found now that the accusations were correct. I have footage of interviews with people outing him and if you listen to his comedy he does make reference to it. He also signed two drag queens to his label and had gay male actors in his movies. There were only three men around Rudy who weren’t gay. But I never knew this until his co-star and friend Jimmy Lynch told me. Then I believed it. Rudy did a very good job of covering it up.

endorsed by snitch dogg

Rudy Ray Moore on Arsenio

teh ghey roots of hip hop

william_kent

of course this is just an excuse to post the greatest "just say no! don't do drugs!" movie of all time

ever!

Dolemite - Disco Godfather

1694220447024.png

PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON IT!

PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON IT!
PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON IT!

PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON IT!