The Hater's Thread

zhao

there are no accidents
Stelfox that's the spirit! now we're getting somewhere... this thread is kind of like therapy, bringing all the hidden issues to the surface... :)

dHarry said:
But I haven't heard SHJ's free jazz collaboration stuff yet, which sounded interesting - how does it compare with DJ Spooky's stuff in a similar vein, anyone?

oh. my. god.

I have to thank you for reminding me of this half baked, name dropping pseudo-everything poseur Paul Miller. his first 2 releases were good at the time, though not holding up with time AT ALL, and when I first read some of his writing I though wow, someone in hiphop is thinking. but now I realize that he has not done any real work what so ever, musically or theoretically, and that all his bull shit is cut and paste from the first 15 pages of the most cliche books in the hipster intellectual selection.

" William Burroughs blah blah... the Futurists blah blah... Shamanism blah blah... John Cage blah blah blah..." he doesn't deserve the cruel fates I've decided for some other people in this thread, but is in desperate need of getting bitch-slapped in the face repeatedly.

and his "paintings". urgh...

I'm friends with some in his circle, and they are all super cool people that I love and respect. but everytime I've met the big, bad "Dj Spooky" he's been nothing but a pompous ass.

I wrote reviews for both Spooky and Spring Heel Jack jazz albums on Thirsty Ear. let me see if I can dig them up.

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
I have to thank you for reminding me of this half baked, name dropping pseudo-everything poseur Paul Miller. his first 2 releases were good at the time, though not holding up with time AT ALL, and when I first read some of his writing I though wow, someone in hiphop is thinking. but now I realize that he has not done any real work what so ever, musically or theoretically, and that all his bull shit is cut and paste from the first 15 pages of the most cliche books in the hipster intellectual selection.

" William Burroughs blah blah... the Futurists blah blah... Shamanism blah blah... John Cage blah blah blah..." he doesn't deserve the cruel fates I've decided for some other people in this thread, but is in desperate need of getting bitch-slapped in the face repeatedly.

and his "paintings". urgh...

I'm friends with some in his circle, and they are all super cool people that I love and respect. but everytime I've met the big, bad "Dj Spooky" he's been nothing but a pompous ass.

I wrote reviews for both Spooky and Spring Heel Jack jazz albums on Thirsty Ear. let me see if I can dig them up.

yep him and scanner should do arts council funded collab projects endlessly in hell.

gumdrops

machine hugger said:
Argh..most everything here is arguable. Can we just all agree that R Kelly is the worst vapid crap ON EVERY LEVEL. He's fucking miserable.

no, he made step in the name of love which redeems him on almost every level.

dominic

Beast of Burden
stelfox said:
anything on-u sound-related. sorry john eden

count me on john eden's side

i think the on-u-sound stuff has aged very well

have been rocking fats comet recently -- sounds incredible on a good sound system -- very hectic (merely taking the piss -- ha ha -- was recently told that "hectic" is the new word in london for "wicked")

and if my comment regarding cabs' "code" didn't tip my hand, i also like a lot of sherwood's production work on other people's albums

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
SCANNER!
i'd forgotten (systematicly ) about that BASTARD!
conclusive proof that if one spreads one idea very thinly for a long period the the Arts Council is your oyster.

Diaz

i hate madonna's 'like a virgin'. having had to play it at every college dance i ever even remotely helped with because of the gaggles of confused mormon girls drinking for their first time but who were too offended at anything more interesting than a thinly veiled 'jesus + blowjobs' theme wanting to feel like they were making the ultimate sacrifice for whichever asshole fake xian dude was trying to touch their boobies at the time
anyways i can no longer consider that song on rational terms and hearing it causes some kind neurological spasm in me that is unstoppable and nasty.

come to think of it, most of the music i really don't like is because of girls who've offended/upset me.

rap/metal/nu-metal is utterly retarded and completely devoid of neatness but i don't *hate* it, just the dudes who think they are hard because they listen to it (motherfucker i have cds that are glitch-free that utterly crush your shitty barely-post-modal nonsense in 4th-dimensional r'lyeh beatbox gravity do not think you are hard)

i really, really, really hate american right-wing talk radio. tom leykis and his more-religious ilk make me throw temper tantrums wherever i am. talking about gays this and liberals that and immigrants are the suck and everything, it just makes me want to go to hell stabbing people in their stupid heads.

zhao

there are no accidents
I got no beefs with Scanner. if you listen to his records there's a lot more going on then a gimmick use of technology. he's actually quite a composer, his participation in 20 - 2000 and the Invalid Object series were both very nice. but that pop project he did, whats it called? Scanner Light or some bullshit? that was atrocious.

For the books, I am NOT anti-intellectual or anti-academic. just anti lazy, pseudo, pretentious, self obsessed morons like dj Spooky.

that one R Kelly tune about driving home is very funny.

Diaz, you are playing to a room full of horny Mormon chicks who are desperately seeking opportunities to transgress from the path of the Lord and you're complaining about some song you have to play??? :)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
dissensus - the forum for open-minded people with no musical hangups whatsoever ...
(man - this hate tread is much cheaper than therapy).

Rambler

Awanturnik
It's funny, I always prefer Scanner when he's got the thing turned off and is just making nice, inoffensive electronica.