The Hater's Thread

bruno

est malade
john said:
All Rap Music (especially 'East Coast'). All 'Electroclash' Music. All 'Dub' Music. All 'Grime' and 'Crunk' and 'Jungle' and 'Drum and Bass' Music. All 'Electronic' Music After 1985. All 'indie' Music. All 'IDM' Music. Radio Head. Beck. Sonic Youth. Stereolab. Yo La Tango. Dinosaur Jr. Ween. Incredible String Band. Belle and Sebastion. Le Tigre. Bob Dylan. The Velvet Underground (except one or two songs). Black Dice. Wolf Eyes. Bjork. Cat Stevens. Nick Drake. Tom Waits. Brain Eno. Elliot Smith. The Strokes. PJ Harvey. Tori Amos. Fiona Apple. Missy Elliot. Devendra Banhart. Tricky. Massive Attack. Liars. JEFF BUCKLEY. John Fruscante. Sufjan Stevens. The Magnetic Fields. Mum. Arcade Fire. Gang Gang Dance. The list goes on and on.
lmao @ all electronic music after 1985. that's a lot of hate!

bassnation

the abyss
john said:
All Rap Music (especially 'East Coast'). All 'Electroclash' Music. All 'Dub' Music. All 'Grime' and 'Crunk' and 'Jungle' and 'Drum and Bass' Music. All 'Electronic' Music After 1985. All 'indie' Music. All 'IDM' Music. Radio Head. Beck. Sonic Youth. Stereolab. Yo La Tango. Dinosaur Jr. Ween. Incredible String Band. Belle and Sebastion. Le Tigre. Bob Dylan. The Velvet Underground (except one or two songs). Black Dice. Wolf Eyes. Bjork. Cat Stevens. Nick Drake. Tom Waits. Brain Eno. Elliot Smith. The Strokes. PJ Harvey. Tori Amos. Fiona Apple. Missy Elliot. Devendra Banhart. Tricky. Massive Attack. Liars. JEFF BUCKLEY. John Fruscante. Sufjan Stevens. The Magnetic Fields. Mum. Arcade Fire. Gang Gang Dance. The list goes on and on.

lol, why are you here john?

i note you left both shaking stevens and billy ray cyrus out of that list - significant in any way?

bassnation

the abyss
Edward said:
i can't tell if you're defending the nirvana record or just comparing the two, but i think it's much cooler to respond to the shitness of existence by making something amazing that pushes the limits rather than moaning about how miserable you plus bass guitar & drums.

but then i am just not into that kind of sound plus i like escapism...

i liked both, personally.

zhao

there are no accidents
someone who truly hated Velvet Underground (except for 2 songs) would never continue to bother with "underground" or "avant garde" or "left of center" music for long enough to KNOW and have EXPERIENCED all of the genres and artists and bands he mentioned.

I call bullshit on this post (dude is either taking the piss or just wants attention)

bruno

est malade
no 80s AOR on that list either ;)

i really think people should hate or like whatever they please. this isn't an indie-ctatorship, no need to march in lock-step with the community. but john.. surely there's something you like from those genres! rapper's delight? may i suggest you listen to rapper's delight and fucking chill out for a bit?

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
is it just me, or do other people have a hatred for certain people based solely on the way they talk? For instance, i cannot stand Denzel Washington. I think theres a chance hes a decent actor, but i cant watch him long enough to decide.

And as long as Im talkin about people I cant stand, Tori Amos is up there for similar reasons. I cant stand her voice, and i cant stand the faces she makes when shes singing. I also dont like her music.

zhao

there are no accidents
seems like I'm all the time expanding instead of contracting, sometimes to areas previously avoided at all cost... for instance, I'm starting to appreciate what a great singer George Michael is. and what good songs he sometimes sings. this would have been unimaginable just 3 weeks ago.

john, ever tried these ?

nico is awesome and so is John Cale. (Lou Reed is a moron I agree)

john

They won't help Confucius. The thing is, I'm not that picky about 'movies,' for example. But music has always really had a way of bothering me, especially when it seems interested more in something other than music, understand? Like fashion or something, or reifying the status-quo. But even that is not entirely true, I'm sure alot of music I love was made by someone 'trying to be cool' or 'trying just to make money,' so I don't know.

I understand the 'expand' thing, of course as the years go by we will find more-and-more things that resonate with us or speak to something that calls to us. I just wish for a picky bastard like myself there was a way to expedite this! In my defense, or, just so you know I wasn't taking-the-piss, the Beatles were not included on my list, nor the Stones, but I do understand that to many people the Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan are on par if not better than both. At any rate, the Velvet Underground bother me, but, if you'll excuse the Kantian jargon, I'm not 'disinterested.'

bruno

est malade
bassnation said:
what has this got to do with their music, or is this just directionless bile?
yes it's unnecessary, directionless bile, it's a hate thread ffs! get over it.

bruno

est malade
autonomicforthepeople said:
there's a difference. think before you type.
i did. and there is no difference. she's part of a group and john thinks she's a whore, it's within the bounds of music (as made and represented by people). whether calling her that is justified or not i don't know, ask john*.

anyway, it seems humour is lost on dissensians. i mean please read john's comments with a straight face.

and if you have no sense of humour, the least you can do is be polite. i don't think it's right to ask 'why are you here' to a new poster (essentially telling him to fuck off), when his sixth post doesen't agree with you. you can also ease posters into conversation and ask them nicely why they wrote this and that, there's no rule against it.

*i also found it vulgar, btw, i'm not justifying his remarks, but i do know that hate is stupid, irrational, and brings out the worst in people.

bassnation

the abyss
bruno said:
and if you have no sense of humour, the least you can do is be polite. i don't think it's right to ask 'why are you here' to a new poster (essentially telling him to fuck off), when his sixth post doesen't agree with you. you can also ease posters into conversation and ask them nicely why they wrote this and that, there's no rule against it.

when i said "why are you here" i meant it jokingly, as in, he seemed to dislike all of the sacred cows of dissensus music. nothing wrong with that of course. i'm not the kind of person who tells people to fuck off, directly or indirectly. i didn't express an opinion on what i like or dislike either.

interested in why john thinks nico is a whore though, your right, i must be a humourless twat not to find that funny.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
bassnation said:
when i said "why are you here" i meant it jokingly, as in, he seemed to dislike all of the sacred cows of dissensus music.
you didn't quite pull it off! but fair enough, bassnation, sorry if i misread you.

bassnation said:
interested in why john thinks nico is a whore though, your right, i must be a humourless twat not to find that funny.
i never said twat ;)

no, i think the comedic tour de force is the list. the nico thing, well..

labrat

hot on the heels of love
john said:
Rumor has it, she once rubbed shit all over her pussy just for a fix. And... Quite frankly, that is awful.
I don't think hating musicians for their sexual excesses is a productive criteria.
I mean which great musician can honestly say they haven't at least THOUGHT about coprophilia?