GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

don_quixote

Trent End
there's this awful article at work (im currently doing admin at a sixth form college) where there's a "guide to the slang of the myspace generation". i swear the only place i've heard half the words on there ('cotch' is one i've only just found out about) in music is grime. where else is it?

there's this awful article at work (im currently doing admin at a sixth form college) where there's a "guide to the slang of the myspace generation". i swear the only place i've heard half the words on there ('cotch' is one i've only just found out about) in music is grime. where else is it?

haha my old art teacher used to say cotch to try and be cool for the kids, it was only ever popular about 4 years ago, cotch down my yard etc...

gumdrops

i got this in my inbox

Brand new type of rock music! If you like Rock - you will love Grime/Rock!!

Check out Superstar Syndrome tonight at the Industry 1 Curtain Road,

Shoreditch, EC2A 3JX - Liverpool St / Old St - and be the first to tell your

friends about Grime/Rock.

We're superstars but nobody knows it yet!!

www.myspace.com/superstarsyndrome <http://www.myspace.com/superstarsyndrome> <http://www.myspace.com/superstarsyndrome>

Be the first not the last!!!!!

The bands start from 6pm - with Superstar Syndrome headlining at 10pm.

gabriel

The Heatwave

cotch/kotch is a jamaican word and has been used in the uk/london for at least 10 years, probably more

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Brand new type of rock music! If you like Rock - you will love Grime/Rock!!

Check out Superstar Syndrome tonight at the Industry 1 Curtain Road,

Shoreditch, EC2A 3JX - Liverpool St / Old St - and be the first to tell your

friends about Grime/Rock.

We're superstars but nobody knows it yet!!

www.myspace.com/superstarsyndrome <http://www.myspace.com/superstarsyndrome> <http://www.myspace.com/superstarsyndrome>

Be the first not the last!!!!!

The bands start from 6pm - with Superstar Syndrome headlining at 10pm.

lol! I opened the page in a new tab and dint bother looking at it as I was finishing reading. Then the song played. And I heard the "URRRRRRNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHH" and I though....no....that can't be Sniper E!

And lo and behold it was.

Least he doesnt ever stop trying.

mos dan

fact music
lol! I opened the page in a new tab and dint bother looking at it as I was finishing reading. Then the song played. And I heard the "URRRRRRNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHH" and I though....no....that can't be Sniper E!

And lo and behold it was.

Least he doesnt ever stop trying.

looool. this seems like an appropriate moment to bring up this hilariously naive stab at publicity from last year. i got sent this 'press release' in november from someone i'd never heard of and subsequently never heard of again:

Is 50 cent set to sign a UK Grime act to G-Unit Records?

The UK’s first member of G-UNIT

Rumor has it that the international rap super star 50 C ent is in talks with a UK management company to close a deal, which could propel the UK Underground Grime Scene into international orbit.

A representative from within the G-Unit camp is believed to be involved in talks this week regarding the underground Grime star Sniper E. It is claimed that he has court the eye of the hip hop bad boy after a Sniper E mix tape managed to make its way on to Fiddy’s Jet following his recent visit to the UK .

The source tells us that 50 was blown away by the fast tempo rapping and liked Sniper E’s style and is reported to have said;

“English accents are normally whack when it comes to rap, but this boy has got a different type of feel, he’s actually got good line’s and hook’s! Plus this n***a advertises more them me, saying ‘snipere.co.uk’ every 10 seconds - this n***a’s got hustle!”

The mix tape 50 is referring to is most likely Sniper E’s latest release ‘Target Practice’ which is 19 tracks deep and is the 8th mix tape to be released by the artists. The source tells us that Fiddy has been looking for a UK rapper since meeting So Solid’s Asher D who stared in Get Rich or Die Trying and is very excited about being involved in UK Grime Music.

If true, this represents a phenomenal chance for the Underground Grime Scene to gain global exposure and could make Sniper E the UK ’s first international Grime star…I’ll keep you posted.

Further info visit www.snipere.co.uk or www.gunitworld.com

Email: leroy.newz@gmail.com

N.B Greenback Management (Sniper E’s management) refused to discuss or release any information concerning a possible deal between the M C and G Unit Records.

petergunn

plywood violin
I WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend this if you don't have it yet...

Durrty Goodz - Axiom EP

yeah, my copy of this and soulfood vol 1 arrived last week and i gotta say, while Soulfood is very very good, this is GREAT... best grime CD since Boy in Da Corner...

coincidentally, i literally bumped into Dizzee Rascal on the elevator today at work... the doors opened, i got on, and did that once over you do when you get on an elevator with another person on it... (!!!!!!!) i was kinda amazed and actually said "you're dizzee rascal!" he was cool, very chill...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
its great young dot or whoever are producing raw hard uncompromising music but if the genre as a whole isnt trying to compete on the same level, then thats a bit of a downer. but doesnt mean i wont be paying attention to whts going on in grime anymore. i hope it continues. i just hope the beats get (a lot) better though and the mcs get some inspiration fast cos lately its sounding pretty dry. and its great that kids all over london are MCing - i just pray some of them are good! im hoping/thinking the MC-focus will continue but some new style of production is going to emerge... and its not gonna be all ridiculously super darker than dark/harder than hard and badman-obsessed like grime. which might not be a bad thing.

While I've heard many people criticize almost every concievable aspect of the grime scene as going through a dry spell, this will be the first time I've heard it being said about the levels of MCing. This is a bizarre statement to make: the reason grime still exists is because during a time when indeed almost every concievable aspect of the genre started drying out, the quality of MCing shot way, way up.

The slump that grime suffered, when everybody was trying to drag grime out to the gallows, was a result of the scene shifting towards a focus on making and selling mixtapes. The MCing around this time was accelerating: the content expanded, older players like Ghetto, Jammer, Skepta and JME were developing their flows into very defined, unique styles, Wiley was calling out everyone with a first name... things were just generally getting better. The downside was that everything else was getting left behind: there was extremely decreased activity on the production end of things (resulting in a lot of chipmunk vocal hip hop tracks as we will all painfully remember), and DJs were becoming less important to a scene that was increasingly revolving around the MC, and that had ever-decreasing raves occuring.

Now mixtapes have worked themselves out and things have normalized again, producers and DJs have apparently had their sparks re-ignited by this MCing rennaissance. Producers like Maniac, Joker and Skepta are making some of the highest quality, well-recieved productions I have heard in ages. Try and name a producer from the last year or so who is as brand-named, sought after and name-dropped as Maniac. Try and name a beat from the last year or so that has been more of a rave-destroying, reload-after-reload MC platform than Stageshow Riddim.

In fact, even DJs are starting to come back into the picture again, with DJ Spyro actually being a popular grime DJ on a pirate station who have been increasingly flooding their roster with dubstep DJs. Did any of these critics of grime listen to DJ Spyro's birthday show featuring just about every grime DJ in the game who isn't Logan Sama? Grime DJs haven't been able to command that much attention and respect for years! And surely, Logan, the ratings for your show much be getting higher and higher right now.

As for the youngers coming through: Gumdrops, your prayers have already been answered by artists like Chipmunk, Rinse, Random Impulse, Dimples, Snoopy, Griminal and many many more.

There was a dry spell, but now it is OVER.
Someone send out the memo already.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Wiley's playin at the South Kilburn Festival on the estate this Saturday, afternoon to early evening he's headlining. If it don't rain I'll be there I reckon.

N

nomadologist

yeah, my copy of this and soulfood vol 1 arrived last week and i gotta say, while Soulfood is very very good, this is GREAT... best grime CD since Boy in Da Corner...

coincidentally, i literally bumped into Dizzee Rascal on the elevator today at work... the doors opened, i got on, and did that once over you do when you get on an elevator with another person on it... (!!!!!!!) i was kinda amazed and actually said "you're dizzee rascal!" he was cool, very chill...

i saw him perform at irving plaza and he seemed very chill for someone who could keep up energy like that for an entire performance

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
artists like Chipmunk, Rinse, Random Impulse, Dimples, Snoopy, Griminal and many many more.

This has probably been said, but grime aliases are almost always hilariously silly, at least to these American ears. Goes for Dizzee Rascal too, though I've gotten used to it.

N

nomadologist

Gavin is right...can't imagine many of the kids from the boroughs listening to music with lyrics like grime has, either... "birds" and "geezer" comes to mind...

N

nomadologist

Sure, everyone's slang sounds funny to everyone else.

I like grime well enough. I'm just saying the slang would sound funny to NYers.

What's wrong with that?