GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
fucking hell martin, that interview looks AMAZING. only had time to scan bits of it just now, but.. geesh. wow. :D

it will be such a shame if he packs it in, but kind of fitting in a way. you get the real sense from him that he does it for the joy of sound and wordplay. if he quit im sure he'd still be writing bars in his head.

at least he'll have left us with 5 soulfoods.

viktorvaughn

Wiley has started an online record shop called avalanchemuischut.

The tracklisting for Umbrella Vol 1 is also out, looks good-ish. Has annoying tracks by other people at the end like the Tunnel Vision ones though. Music Money with Rossi B and Luca is the best thing he has done in a while I reckon. Firey.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
how did the all ages event for no hats no hoods go? anyone reach?

it was alright - let down a bit by a crappy sound system which sounded like a farting mobile phone ring tone and a bit of shambolic scheduling on our part. But Badness and Tempa T merked, Ras Kwarme showed up to host and quite a few in the scene showed. Yesterday we heard that the event was infiltrated by plain clothes feds, who proceeded to body search every mc after they left ....nice

Yesterday we heard that the event was infiltrated by plain clothes feds, who proceeded to body search every mc after they left ....nice

so unnecessary - its like the coppers on dubble bubble sat outside rampart in whitechapel for a week because of the dsei thing.

i thought it was the night was fun, whoever did the slideshow photos - they were great! and tempa t went on for about 30mins, destroyed it

badness was also great

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
God I hate the Movement's mixtapes. i've never paid for one and was always grateful I didn't. who needs them? honestly? it's that cheesy side of grime I can't stomach. I think their best hope for a decent album would be Devlin if he got a decent producer and broadened his vocal range...just my opinion. They have some bearable recorded output, but you can count these on two hands...what their respective MC's bring to the clashes though is always great. Very entertaining. And that's what musicians are. Entertainers. Sure they appeal to us on many different levels but they're performing for us so we will keep throwing them pennies. I find that quite depressing, there isn't any glory in it :slanted: as you can probably tell, I just heard Scorcher's 'Thunder Power' - it's crap

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Wow. You're a big time hater.

Coming from you Logan, that is quite high praise. ;)

And yes, I am also not a movement fan.

They remind me of the type of hiphop fans I most hate. Trapped on certain specific ideas of authenticity because they are miles from the places and things these people rap about, intolerant of any diversity of ideas or outlooks as not fitting into that scheme and lifting up the worst kind of achingly boring production and musical ideas in the process. A LOT of european and english kids fall for this because they are obsessed with New York. They should come here and chill in the hood a bit, it might broaden their minds.

I'm not saying I hate the movement. They are talented for sure, but their sense of aesthetics and way of being is just lame. To me they are the opposite of someone like Wiley who is a truly original, unique figure creating his own styles, slang and movement and thereby contributing to the diversity of ways of being a black or urban artist.

At the moment in New York there's an explosion of fashion in the hood that I can only describe as black people dressing the way they think white people do, with a touch of irony and hood flair. Skaters, ravers, rockers, punks, go down to the fulton mall and you can see them all in a mirror world version. I love it because it's wacky and fun and a lot of interesting looks are coming out of it and also because I think it represents a lot of people saying 'look, I don't need to apply to this narrow idea of fashion etc. in order to be 'real' or 'hood' or whatever' and expressing themselves more flamboyantly. This is also happening in music but much more slowly. I feel like The Movement and the attitude they portray and represent is the opposite of this and that's why they can often be so soul crushingly boring in spite of their obvious musical talent.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
The Movement are responsible for My Diary, Thoughts For The Day, Community Outcast, It's Weighty, Chance Us, Do Me A Favour, Top 3 Selected, I'm Ghetts, Good Old Days, Runway, Red Light, Who's Mercs, Dealers, Keep On Movin, Stay Down The Road.....

You's a pair of big time haters.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
Coming from you Logan, that is quite high praise. ;)

And yes, I am also not a movement fan.

They remind me of the type of hiphop fans I most hate. Trapped on certain specific ideas of authenticity because they are miles from the places and things these people rap about, intolerant of any diversity of ideas or outlooks as not fitting into that scheme and lifting up the worst kind of achingly boring production and musical ideas in the process. A LOT of european and english kids fall for this because they are obsessed with New York. They should come here and chill in the hood a bit, it might broaden their minds.

I'm not saying I hate the movement. They are talented for sure, but their sense of aesthetics and way of being is just lame. To me they are the opposite of someone like Wiley who is a truly original, unique figure creating his own styles, slang and movement and thereby contributing to the diversity of ways of being a black or urban artist.

At the moment in New York there's an explosion of fashion in the hood that I can only describe as black people dressing the way they think white people do, with a touch of irony and hood flair. Skaters, ravers, rockers, punks, go down to the fulton mall and you can see them all in a mirror world version. I love it because it's wacky and fun and a lot of interesting looks are coming out of it and also because I think it represents a lot of people saying 'look, I don't need to apply to this narrow idea of fashion etc. in order to be 'real' or 'hood' or whatever' and expressing themselves more flamboyantly. This is also happening in music but much more slowly. I feel like The Movement and the attitude they portray and represent is the opposite of this and that's why they can often be so soul crushingly boring in spite of their obvious musical talent.

you said it better than I ever could. I was listening to Chipmunk's mixtape (I'm not proud of how I obtained it) and it has that quality that makes you want to OWN it and put it up on a shelf with the best grime records - it has it's own voice, it's Chipmunk. he's talented, but the production is something that sounds to my ears unique to grime and his range is extremely diverse. plus the bars are gold.
and Logan, last time I checked it was okay to have a negative opinion of something, though in future I'll try and save rants for a hater's thread if it will make you happy:rolleyes:. 'stakes are raised' is a good Movement track, Devlin's lyrics and a reggae backing...like Alien Skank it feels like grime coming home

mms

sometimes
Yesterday we heard that the event was infiltrated by plain clothes feds, who proceeded to body search every mc after they left ....nice

police need to fuck off and leave people alone, really.

young people are criminalised in london for just for being young people, the only festival i went to this year there were plain clothes milling around outside trying to honey trap pl and cops inside arresting anyone with a spliff, it was shit, you can't arrest people for having a joint it's pathetic, why were the usual formal warning/caution rules upturned for the sake of this event.
As for searching mcs as they come out, it's just racism, events organisers and mcees need to formally complain. There really should be an organised stand against the demonisation of these kind of events by a collective of promoters and performers etc.

outraygeous

this thunderclap album is a hip hop album right?

im just listening it to it.

its just like dipset stuff.

nothing wrong with that.

i just can never take these mcs/rappers seriously 'coz i know they are all broke.

at least dipset give the impression that they are living well

viktorvaughn

Mercston's solo tape is superb but the other ones are rubbish. There is no hint of the pioneer about them, something that shines from Wiley.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I only stuck around for a bit at NHNH, but it was quite fun. Sound system was indeed a bit rubbish. Those photos from Dirty Canvases past are really beautiful, though.

In all seriousness, how do police justify searching people? Do they justify it under anti-terrorism laws, something I've heard before? Or do they give people a receipt thing to indicate they've been searched, which is supposed to suggest transparency?

It's ridiculous isn't it, if I was a young black kid, I'd absolutely despise the police.