GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

bassnation

the abyss
MATT MAson said:
Cos there are about 59 million white people in the UK and less than 1 million black people.

So if there are the same amount of 'aimless white kids seling weed' as there are black kids, that only goes to show there is racism and there are not the same oppourtunities for you if you are not white. Or else there would be 59 aimless white kids per aimless black kid. And that is clearly not the case.

thats one hell of an assumption. are we just talking london or the whole of the uk? if its the entire country i'd argue you could pretty easily find 59 white kids selling weed for every black kid. take a trip out into the provinces some time, you'll find plenty of the little blighters. i'm not doubting that there is racism and inequality of opportunities, but your stats are falling wide of the mark imo.

Last edited:

gumdrops

RTR1 made it into pitchfork's best albums of 2005 list (im guessing it came out on vice there only this year). here's the summary:

Ha ha, remember grime? That late-nite p2p fight to stay tops on some fast-paced, viciously insider teen-scene, one that's thousands of miles away, hocked in new code daily with so many "key" players that the keyest of them's fantastic 679 debut, Kano's Home Sweet Home, somehow passed us by quicker than a Sheek Louch freestyle? This youthful genre's endless fountain of new means, possibly, endless rewards, but for how great some of these beats come, most grime kids still can't rhyme. The disillusion that followed from there, frankly, has been unfair-- so much of what we're hunting down, from what I can tell, is brute learning on the job, sometimes nothing serious at all. Which makes Run the Road invaluable not just as a one-stop-- all the cuts hit really hard, good rhymes, none of that grime&b shit-- but ideally as something of a standard bearer, a Now That's What I Call Music! we're not embarrassed to buy. Some people hacked at RtR because it was so out of date upon release-- some of these tracks are a few years old-- but run the numbers, that's probably why it's so damn great, too. --Nick Sylvester

petergunn

plywood violin
Logan Sama said:
Amusing.

So many back-handed insults

yes, the british music press style of "i'm too cool to completely like anything unironically" has infected the US as well... fucking lame...

benjybars

village elder.
i've moaned about this on another thread but i need to do something... on ruff sqwad's show they said i'd won tickets to rinse sessions and that i need to text in my address and stuff, which i did, and then the phoneline went dead.. i'm properly screwing cos i really really really wanted to win those tickets.

Logan - you know ruff sqwad people. tell them to sort my tickets out or i'm going straight to trading standards on this one...

anyway, has anyone got risky roadz 2? I had to buy it after hearing skepta's threat/advert on rinse 'if you don't buy this dvd, make a man say oh my giddy'. it's duppy still.

ambrose

so risky roadz....can any 1 give me a track id on the sparkie mix cd, track 5, its a tune with bruza on it, a shrill brass/sax stab and these sorta laser sounds....just before "cha"

its awesome!

not seebn/heard any of the rest yet.

but 2 cds and 2 dvds!

lets hope its not too much quantity over quality tho....

boomnoise

♫
the track you're on about is bruza - doin'me. been around for a while. on his new mix cd.

it is a large package. not going to bring quantity / quality into this as it is pure value for money!

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
Logan Sama said:
Scorcher is not in Meridian

In meridian / ex-meridian / part-time meridian / part-time ex-meridian

you say tomayto
I say tomahto

My point was, this is/was a group of very talented mc/producers

C

captain easychord

just copped risky roads last night, and have almost finished plowing through the almost 6 hours of footage (haven't even touched the two mix CD's yet). big package overall, the editing has greatly improved since the last edition, interspersing freestyles with the interviews. some good rave bits, the footage of jammer performing murkle man at a YMS is hiliariously high energy. all the freestyles are on riddims which is def a step up from the acapellas on the last one. some hilarious bits of skepta talking shit about big brother contestants (i don't quite get it since i ain't british and cant understand the whole big brother phenomenon...)

i would say it's well worth a purchase, good value for the money. can't wait to see practice hours.

C

captain easychord

gumdrops said:
RTR1 made it into pitchfork's best albums of 2005 list (im guessing it came out on vice there only this year). here's the summary:

Ha ha, remember grime? That late-nite p2p fight to stay tops on some fast-paced, viciously insider teen-scene, one that's thousands of miles away, hocked in new code daily with so many "key" players that the keyest of them's fantastic 679 debut, Kano's Home Sweet Home, somehow passed us by quicker than a Sheek Louch freestyle? This youthful genre's endless fountain of new means, possibly, endless rewards, but for how great some of these beats come, most grime kids still can't rhyme. The disillusion that followed from there, frankly, has been unfair-- so much of what we're hunting down, from what I can tell, is brute learning on the job, sometimes nothing serious at all. Which makes Run the Road invaluable not just as a one-stop-- all the cuts hit really hard, good rhymes, none of that grime&b shit-- but ideally as something of a standard bearer, a Now That's What I Call Music! we're not embarrassed to buy. Some people hacked at RtR because it was so out of date upon release-- some of these tracks are a few years old-- but run the numbers, that's probably why it's so damn great, too. --Nick Sylvester

This review barely makes any sense. I had to read it like 6 times just to understand what the hell he was talking about; it's called a period dude. This piece seems to be mostly about the critic projecting his own warped preconceptions and hangups onto grime without actually talking about the release...

Last edited by a moderator:

gumdrops

RTR2 also got voted as the no.1 comp of 2005 in the OMM this sunday and came with a very optimistic predication for grime in 2006 (they had roll deeps album as one of the best albums of the year too. they also used the word brapple in the review for it.)

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Oi Logan, I'm sure this is a long shot, but I don't suppose you're doign a 2006 preview mix like you did for that sidewinder promo in 2005? I've thrashed that mix to death this year...

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Sidewinder cd was done in Sept 2004

And I highly doubt it. I will be doing a series of free mixes but it is unlikely that I will do another mix in the vein of that Sidewinder cd as it took fucking ages to plan out.

There will be more artist live sets like the promo mix I did with Jammer, Skepta, Big H, President T & Kraze.

And a series of free mixes in a more similar vein to the RWD cd where the biggest popular tracks are mixed together quickly to give people a lively cd of hot Grime tracks to listen to should they want as an alternative to the abundance of hip hop and rap cds people tend to listen to in their cars over here.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Oh and obviously I will be putting out a CD that you will have to buy of some exclusive freestyles and new glimpses of people's album tracks in the Kay Slay / Whoo Kid fashion. Won't be mixed though

benjybars

village elder.
Logan - i think i've sent you my details on PM for the rinse sessions tickets but dunno if it worked cos i am a wasteman with technology (although i am a badman on fruity loops). anyway, if you could sort it out that would be heavy, otherwise ruff sqwad will be gettin some heavyweight beef in 2006!

cheers.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Wd25

Is the WD25 riddim going to get a vinyl release or is it only going to be found on the true tiger cd comp?

One of the best bits of grime-related music I've heard in ages.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Logan Sama said:
Sidewinder cd was done in Sept 2004

And I highly doubt it. I will be doing a series of free mixes but it is unlikely that I will do another mix in the vein of that Sidewinder cd as it took fucking ages to plan out.

There will be more artist live sets like the promo mix I did with Jammer, Skepta, Big H, President T & Kraze.

And a series of free mixes in a more similar vein to the RWD cd where the biggest popular tracks are mixed together quickly to give people a lively cd of hot Grime tracks to listen to should they want as an alternative to the abundance of hip hop and rap cds people tend to listen to in their cars over here.

Whoops. I meant 2004, wasn't sure of the month. It's a shame that it was too much work as that's a pretty fantastic mix. I've been thrashin that RWD CD in my car myself.