GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Myron "Get Down (Groove Chronicles mix Maximum special)" ....!!!!

"what can i play after this that can do damage? nothing!" - Spyro

viktorvaughn

massive pitch bent.... plus master tempo = endless possibilities. because all the funky dudes still give their tunes to the grime djs, it was a matter of time really. going to be 140 funky street soon

I'm quite glad some of the grime guys have defected to funky now cos they are bringing their established grime sensibilities and skills, plus all these people going b2b, mixing in the odd old classic house, dubstep, bassline or electro/grime track, plus as you say the grime guys getting the excloose funky tunes anyway, plus grime MCs on funky tracks as hosts, plus funky hopefully bringing rave vibes to grime, plus everything mixed on CDs now as u say, it's a bubbling melting pot....fucking exciting times!

mos dan

fact music
I'm quite glad some of the grime guys have defected to funky now cos they are bringing their established grime sensibilities and skills, plus all these people going b2b, mixing in the odd old classic house, dubstep, bassline or electro/grime track, plus as you say the grime guys getting the excloose funky tunes anyway, plus grime MCs on funky tracks as hosts, plus funky hopefully bringing rave vibes to grime, plus everything mixed on CDs now as u say, it's a bubbling melting pot....fucking exciting times!

mate, tempz and griminal over marcus nasty's set tonight at chockablock.. oh my days. felt like something different.. maybe the mcs were still feeling their way a bit, not 100% sure what to do with it, but it was definitely a good thing. it helped that marcus's set was better than appx 100 of the house sets off rinse put together. his stuff and the funky stuff spyro plays is just>>>

basically it takes grime guys to do this right. had to wait til something like 3.30am to see this spectacle, but it was worth it.

also, is it maximum at fwd on sunday?

echevarian

babylon sister
Howabout instead of grime DJs speeding funky up, funky slows grime down?

Really, fuck speed wars, you end up with gabber or modern DNB.

If funky can make grime sexy and actually, you know, funky again its mission accomplished as far I'm concerned.

I'm not playing anything over 132 personally.

Shonx

Shallow House
Howabout instead of grime DJs speeding funky up, funky slows grime down?

Really, fuck speed wars, you end up with gabber or modern DNB.

If funky can make grime sexy and actually, you know, funky again its mission accomplished as far I'm concerned.

I'm not playing anything over 132 personally.

Couldn't agree more, although I might go even slower. Plenty of ways to create energy without resorting to the laziness of speeding tunes up and there's definitely more scope for groove at those tempos.

Having said that I do think halfstep dnb sounds way better than halfstep dubstep

nomos

Administrator
slower bpms are good by me, not least because it makes them harder to colonize by the 140 crowd. but also i think some uk funky's working on strategies of internal intensity rather than straightforward speed - i.e. each few bars is a collection of slower and faster speeds. and 2step tended to be closer to 130 than 140 - it's more languid down there.

Bit O/T but does anyone have a mix of tunes like 'Bulla Cake' (D'explicit) and 'Go DJ' or whatever it's called by Zinc?

corpsey do you mean like this http://www.deeptime.net/blog/?p=38 ? it has both of those and similar stuff.

nomos

Administrator
i didn't mean slowing grime down, just not pressuring funky to be more grime in every way. grime's already got grime.

gumdrops

wasnt the main prob a lot of grime fans had the past few years that theres too many 'bait' half hip hop/half grime beats out there? or was that just me? lol. if anything, i want grime to just be more like grime. and while i do like the grime influence in funky, esp when you look at what (SICK) guys like apple are doing, still, let funky be funky.

echevarian

babylon sister
I'd really like to hear stuff similar to what Joker has been doing: mixing grime with video game and electrofunk influences, only in the mid 120 bpm range.

So kind of what Footloose has been doing, only a little more out there.

faustus

does any1 have any audio 4 Ruff Squad - It No Take Nothing? someone told me it's a vocal of Fantan Mojah's (sp?) Hail The king

sounds dark

nomos

Administrator
you sound like geeneus nomos. you could equally say house already has house...
lol.. i don't know what geeneus sounds like. not being a purist by any stretch though as it's the grimey influence that's drawn me in. but "i'll like it when it's more like grime" does bring to mind "i'll like dubstep when it sounds more like dnb." and grime is a perfect example of a scene that struggled under pressure to hurry up and "be" something. it's the theo walcott of principle - "the boy's got potential, just give him time to settle in and get a sense of himself."

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
"i'll like it when it's more like grime" does bring to mind "i'll like dubstep when it sounds more like dnb."

well not entirely, as both grime and funky are good but new school d&b is... well, not so much ;).

but this is the perennial fusion v purism debate revisited. both methods can yield innovation in principle, but in this case being purist about house probably wont. so i'm all excited by the fusion and what effect one genre can have on the other (ie funky having a tougher underbelly and grime getting more percussive/danceable).

nomos

Administrator
well not entirely, as both grime and funky are good but new school d&b is... well, not so much ;).

but this is the perennial fusion v purism debate revisited. both methods can yield innovation in principle, but in this case being purist about house probably wont. so i'm all excited by the fusion and what effect one genre can have on the other (ie funky having a tougher underbelly and grime getting more percussive/danceable).
yeah i agree with all that though it's not really influence v. purism that i'm getting at, but rather the implications of saddling a scene with demands and expectations before it's had a chance to get a sense of itself. grime had a hard time with that.

anyway, this is maybe fodder for a separate thread - demands on new scenes, the (usually unacknowledged) role of 'outsiders' in shaping developments, expectations, etc.