GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

zhao

there are no accidents
DJ Lioness said:
what was that outburst for?

it was in response to mms and petergun's comments. not to you.

thanks for pointing out that "ethnic" music is always championed by whites first. this seems so obvious but I guess not to some.

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
jesus christ. how many times do I have to keep saying this:

Elvis played BLACK music. so did Chuck Berry, the Beatles, the Stones, etc. Led Zep is nothing but an amped up blues band.

country and western as we know it has its roots in the Mississippi Delta, which to me seems like a Fertile Crescent of American music, and the original practitioners were mostly black.

dig Charlie Patton, dig the pre-WWI gospel and folk, which is among the first recordings ever, dated at about 1908, 1909. all black. and from these records you can hear what's to come in the rest of the century. There is rock in there, there is funk, hiphop, and unmistakably the origins of house - in the hand claps accompanied "jump up" tunes (which sounds like a bunch of slaves bangin' on shit and hollering).

bluesgrass?
zydeco?
the migration of engish folk?
all existed at the same time and alongside the blues, all were musics originated from european migration, all of which traces of can be found in music today , as well as other developments, adoptions of technology and co-options.
one of the tunes on harry smith box set originated from 10 miles away from where i was born in cornwall, the verses were changed to fit the area, but the sentiment remains the same.
also where do you think blues got it's religion from ? it's language ? it's sense of anger? what were the circumstances and the reaction?
what about something like congelese rhumba ?
as i said before there is essentially no truth in pinning the music of the 20th century on a section of american people as is the development of anything else, it's simply misleading and misrepresentative, and altogether much more boring than looking at how these things really came about, not to mention rather nostalgic.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
mms said:
bluesgrass?

one of the tunes on harry smith box set originated from 10 miles away from where i was born in cornwall, the verses were changed to fit the area, but the sentiment remains the same.

exactly... many of the song structures, as well as the actual songs themselves (for stuff like apalachian ballads) can be traced directly back to Scottish/Irish/English folk musics... if you listen to that type of stuff, then listen to west african folk music, then listen to folk blues, the structure is a lot closer to the english folk musics...

and when i listen to someone like Elvis, Charlie Feathers, Billy Lee Riley, or Carl Perkins especially, i hear just as much from the bluegrass white country side of the coin as from the rhythm and blues side... which you can totally see when most of these dudes started recording straight country in the 60's...

there really is a lot of cross pollination between the two musics, a lot of rockin' country, and more country influence on the black side than you would think... Howlin' Wolf may have learned guitar from Charlie Patton, but he got his yodel from Jimmy Rodgers!

petergunn

plywood violin
DJ Lioness said:
In fact I would be bold enough to say that any music with an "ethnic" origin is always championed by non-ethnic's for years first - Check Marky Mark, Rodigan, Westwood etc.

this might be an english thing...

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I was joking abuot the DJ thing.

Oh, and catch Terror on my show NEXT week.

Full Meridian Crew on tonight with the first radio appearance of Bossman Birdie in 18 months.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
re: mms and petergunn

yes you do have valid points. and yes the real story is complex.

but I still think the influence of the african american underclass far outshadows any other when it comes to 20th century popular western music.

and this is a fact that is again and again ignored and forgotten.

edit:

2 things - isn't Rhumba black music? and also, "where did they get their anger from"... what does this mean?

Last edited:

gumdrops

confucius said:
but I still think the influence of the african american underclass far outshadows any other when it comes to 20th century popular western music. and this is a fact that is again and again ignored and forgotten.

yep.

gumdrops

MATT MAson said:
I have to agree with Confucius. Nearly all forms of modern pop music have black roots. Even Kraftwerk - check their influences.

their influences were the stooges and mc5 i thought (at least thats what i read in an interview they did in the 70s).

D

droid

DJ Lioness said:
LOL @ "Double dog dare you". Anyhoo, there was never a black person with a Reggae, Roots etc show on legal radio until Goldfinger a couple years back (which is hilarious and disgusting at the same time)

Hmmm... Ive been listening to him since at least '98, and I think his was the first dancehall/reggae show on a major outlet of the BBC, so Im not sure thats the best illustration of your point...

DJ Lioness

droid said:
Hmmm... Ive been listening to him since at least '98, and I think his was the first dancehall/reggae show on a major outlet of the BBC, so Im not sure thats the best illustration of your point...

So he had a legal show before Rodigan yeah? Even when Rogian was on Capital for about 10 years prior to Kiss? Ok.
I even remember Tiger's lyric in When, "big up Rodigan from Kiss FM", Rodigan had the first legal Reggae show so yes, it is the best illustration of my point as are the other two examples.

Im not saying its bad though, because Rodigan has a genuine passion for the music - I just thought Logan was actually being serious with his comment.

D

droid

DJ Lioness said:
So he had a legal show before Rodigan yeah? Even when Rogian was on Capital for about 10 years prior to Kiss? Ok.

No - not at all - just that he started his show nearly 8 years ago and not 2...

Ranking Miss P wins anyhows... 1984! :eek:

DJ Lioness

Rodigan was about 84 too so nur :p Will ask the 'rents about Ranking Miss P though, before my time I was barely one.
98 is like a few years ago for me, Joyride and Showtime still hold memories.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
DJ Lioness said:
Rodigan was about 84 too so nur :p Will ask the 'rents about Ranking Miss P though, before my time I was barely one.

well, that still negates your argument

john eden

male pale and stale
DJ Lioness said:
98 is like a few years ago for me, Joyride and Showtime still hold memories.

Big up yer 'rents. :)

More info here.

98 was a vintage year...

keep telling 'em man...

outraygeous said:
terror is so advanced, hes like the xbox 360 of grime

next generation

and the thing is he doesn't get his props - people still havent caught up to the stuff he was doing previously like 'Nite Crawler I and II'...I think im gonna burn all the industry standards from vinyl and make an LP out of it...would easily crush DaVinChe's effort...

also why is it always the white/european reaction to take black music to mean only for those of african heritage. What this is all really about is recoqnition and the inability of white/european people to recoqnise things of black/african heritage..from music to...well everything lol...

D

droid

DJ Lioness said:

Me too.. I was barely 7 - plus we couldnt listen to UK radio back then.

John Eden however was already approaching his first centenary at that stage! :D

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:
Me too.. I was barely 7 - plus we couldnt listen to UK radio back then.

John Eden however was already approaching his first centenary at that stage! :D

Oi! :mad: Cheeky young whippersnappers...

I would have been... 15! in 1984. But not into reggae especially, more's the pity.

Anyway - this is officially OFF TOPIC now, so knock it off. :D