GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

i must either be losing touch with whats hot or maybe i just dont care anymore but i dont see the big deal about the virgo and F1 12"s at all. half of those EPs are sub hip hop and the other beats just seem well, a bit naff. clack clack riddim is pretty good though. cant wait to hear the new terror danjah track.

as for wiley's death intimations, zzzzzz, rappers predicting about their own death is so 1997 lol.

elgato

I just dont know
hmm i dunno about sub hip-hop like. in fact what i love about the work ive heard by these producers is that they buck the trend of moving towards the rolling hip-hop/crunk model... admittedly ive only heard a few tracks i like by both and a fair few im not so impressed by, but i still think theyre pretty exciting prospects

i think F1 is maybe less forward thinking, cos a lot of his tracks are quite standard 8 bar-ish (although his halfstep stuff is pretty crazy), but they still come as a breath of fresh air to me when so much grime seems to be laying back

gumdrops

by sub hip hop i mean theyre doing that 65bpm thing that can also work at 130bpm but it just feels like its 65bpm. the energy and speed of something like a dexplicit beat isnt really there. clack riddim has something i like about it but it reminds me a lot of a youngsta beat from 2004 or so.

elgato

I just dont know
man SO LONG. i just wrote a massive post with audio clips of both producers to argue the point and dissensus somehow flopped. ive lost the energy to do it again, so ill summarise

i would recommend you checking all virgo's tunes at htfr, i think your opinion is misguided, you must have heard some rubbish clips or something cos his tunes are so full of energy its unreal

on the sub hip-hop point, the 'sub' implies inferiority - not doing anything new with the slower vibe, which again i think is misguided. check F1 - Paid in Full Remix and Crack, or Virgo - Puzzle to see what i mean. it comes down to taste but i just cant understand your opinion given what ive heard

it aint d'explicit, but then it aint 4x4!

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
am i right in understanding that creeper vol1 is a download only thing?if so would anyone be so kind as to point me in the direction of said mix?? cheerio

gumdrops

man SO LONG. i just wrote a massive post with audio clips of both producers to argue the point and dissensus somehow flopped. ive lost the energy to do it again, so ill summarise

i would recommend you checking all virgo's tunes at htfr, i think your opinion is misguided, you must have heard some rubbish clips or something cos his tunes are so full of energy its unreal

on the sub hip-hop point, the 'sub' implies inferiority - not doing anything new with the slower vibe, which again i think is misguided. check F1 - Paid in Full Remix and Crack, or Virgo - Puzzle to see what i mean. it comes down to taste but i just cant understand your opinion given what ive heard

it aint d'explicit, but then it aint 4x4!

i checked monster, i forgot that was his beat. that was good. basically, why i dont like most virgo beats ive heard, is just a taste thing. i dont generally like that style of production (the high pitched vocal/kanye-gone-hyper midetmpo type stuff reminds me of that low deep straight flush track and then worse, the kray twinz track that came after it, neither of which i liked). im not saying its a straight hip hop copy or anything, it clearly does do something diff with the influence, tweaking it here and there, but its not my thing. plus, all those melodramatic/OTT operatic/classical samples just sound ridiculous to me.

f1's paid in full remix on southside though, now THAT is excellent!

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
absolutely devastating!! any mp3s with it on? i can't think where i've heard it now - prob maxi and wiley week before last...

essentials down dirty canvas sometime?

I spoke to Rem yesterday about a date in March/April (to coincide with their album/mixtape release), so hopefully we'll get something sorted. Next one proper is 3rd Feb with Aftershock camp....but mos dan, if I've got the right poster - we've got a little Soho soundclash in January, right?! ;)

elgato

I just dont know
i checked monster, i forgot that was his beat. that was good. basically, why i dont like most virgo beats ive heard, is just a taste thing. i dont generally like that style of production (the high pitched vocal/kanye-gone-hyper midetmpo type stuff reminds me of that low deep straight flush track and then worse, the kray twinz track that came after it, neither of which i liked). im not saying its a straight hip hop copy or anything, it clearly does do something diff with the influence, tweaking it here and there, but its not my thing. plus, all those melodramatic/OTT operatic/classical samples just sound ridiculous to me.

yeh thats fair enough man, i really like that melodrama, when its in the context of all the electronics it really does something for me. but its just a matter of taste at the end of the day

f1's paid in full remix on southside though, now THAT is excellent!

agreed!

-----------------------

lazybones - (lol i feel like a chastising mother, your screen-name is apposite!) - http://unitoneonline.com/?page_id=69

loads of other very sick mixes there

mos dan

fact music
I spoke to Rem yesterday about a date in March/April (to coincide with their album/mixtape release), so hopefully we'll get something sorted. Next one proper is 3rd Feb with Aftershock camp....but mos dan, if I've got the right poster - we've got a little Soho soundclash in January, right?! ;)

you know what i haven't even had a chance to speak to alex about that yet, he's had la peste - but the wink is duly noted! great stuff. their dirty canvas @ whitechapel must've been like their last live performance before splitting. v exciting they (aim to) have an album out so soon, can't wait for that.

some great mp3s on that unit one link - cheers gato.

elgato

I just dont know
its on that Wiley Rinse set up thread (where he gets rushed). it's called Zumpi Huntah. I like it lots but it's not a huge departure from his sound.

thanks. i was trying to d/l that from getdarker last night but it kept failing

does anyone know the deal with his tune Top Producer Remix? i found that pretty interesting, quite a different aesthetic. sick rhythms as standard. but ive never seen it outside of that plasticman studio mix :/ whats the original?

gumdrops

independance (no one else far asw i can tell) has the tubby tiger style and new plastician 12s... both of which are great.

Cornflake

meh im happy if it means more gods gift tunes. He's one of those artists i dont feel put enough stuff out. Wiley points that out too so maybe he'll get on that...who knows.

The set makes me laugh so hard tho...."ur not my dad" line killed it for me

28 Gun Nice Boy

2006 Grime

I think there's a more general thread going for people's faves of the year but I'm interested in spefically people's Grime faves this year. Here's mine in the hope of kicking it off:

On sale Vinyl (no particular order):

'Creep' Shotz
'Music Money' Rossi B. & Luca feat. Gully Crew
'Tiger Style' Tubby
'Kidset Anthem' Mr. Slash & Kids in the Hood
'Gangsterz' Wiley
'Straight off the Block' Blackjack
'Move 2 Dis (Remix)' Ruff Sqwad
'April Shower Dub' Shotz
'Swing' 4N Format
'16 Bar Rally' Wiley feat. various MCs
'Scorcher Dis' Wiley
'Klutter' Frenzie
'Crunked Up' Frenzie
'Battle Riddim' SKITZ feat, Skepta
'Beef With T' Terminator
'Oh My' Fath S/F/X feat. various MCs
'Way Down the Road' Slew Dem feat. Wiley
'Johnny was a Badboy' Dcoy feat. Wiley

CDs:

'Tunnel Vision 1 &2, 2nd Phaze' Wiley (If you took the best tracks from these three and put them on one CD we'd be talking about an absoulte classic as good as 'Boy in the Corner', 'Treading on Thin Ice' and 'Guns & Roses Vol.1'. As it was their impact was diluted a bit, still amongst my favourite LPs of the year whatever genre though).

Guns & Roses Vol.2

Man of the Year:

Wiley (no contest, too much material to test. On a one man mission to pull Grime back up. For me the most exciting artist on the planet at the moment).

petergunn

plywood violin
godsgift should put out 'only god knows what i've done'. that would be a fitting career closer (if he really is throwing in the towel).

it never came out on wax due to falling out w/ him and ruff sqwad over the beat ("xtra'), but if Gods Gift ever puts a mixtape out it will be on there... almost no point being that Ruff Sqwad killed the beat so fucking thoroughly on Guns N Roses 2...

TNT

Showerlip
thanks. i was trying to d/l that from getdarker last night but it kept failing

does anyone know the deal with his tune Top Producer Remix? i found that pretty interesting, quite a different aesthetic. sick rhythms as standard. but ive never seen it outside of that plasticman studio mix :/ whats the original?

I think it was miss-named on that Plastician remix..
It's actually Terror's remix of Wileys beat "Taplin"