GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I was wondering something about grime the other day that perhaps Logan might be able to answer:

Is the lack of releases in grime to do with there not being enough supporting fans to make it profitable, or is it down to the laziness or lack of funds from the artists?

It must be something because grime must have the lowest output of releases of any of the UK underground genres right now. Adamantium seems to be the only label that is putting anything out, if you ignore the mixtapes.

It's amazing to me that Maniac, aside from the Mainstream Money instrumental (and as far as I know), hasn't put anything out yet. Or that Joker still hasn't released Gully Brook Lane after it being caned all over radio for the longest time. Why is this?

petergunn

plywood violin
I was wondering something about grime the other day that perhaps Logan might be able to answer:

Is the lack of releases in grime to do with there not being enough supporting fans to make it profitable, or is it down to the laziness or lack of funds from the artists?

It must be something because grime must have the lowest output of releases of any of the UK underground genres right now. Adamantium seems to be the only label that is putting anything out, if you ignore the mixtapes.

It's amazing to me that Maniac, aside from the Mainstream Money instrumental (and as far as I know), hasn't put anything out yet. Or that Joker still hasn't released Gully Brook Lane after it being caned all over radio for the longest time. Why is this?

i'd like to make a t-shirt that sez:

GRIME IS DEAD*

(as a vinyl medium)

Blackdown

nexKeysound

I rang Maniac before christmas and he said he was focusing on getting into Uni not doing music. cant really argue with that. "this year i'm getting mainstream money"!

Gully Brook Lane has held up as part of the Terrorhythm EP that Plastician has sat on.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
With the birth of the internet it is practically impossible for working class unknowledgeable kids to get music out into the world.

It costs £500 plus to put a vinyl out, and as there are only about 5 shops in London now that even still sell garage, let alone Grime, it will take a LONG while to recoup that money unless you have a distribution deal with someone like SRD or ST.

With the internet being such a readily accessible medium, and with usegroups and forums in existence for hardcore fans, it makes it easier for those hardcore fans to get access to free uploads of the music.

And when you are making music which only really appeals to a small hardcore group of people, rather than middle England who have far greater disposable income, it means the effects on your potential revenue streams are enormous.

Couple that with a complete lack of live events and pirate radio stations to cater to this music, and it all adds up to it being a financial dead-end for anyone looking to get into the genre from square one.

straight

wings cru
I'd like to ask a related question. Why is no-one still doing regular clubs (Dirty Canvas aside)? Is there still the fear of violence/interference from the police? Or is it that no-one is actually willing to put in a bit of work to bring it together? There seems to be a lack of grass roots artist run things, at least then you wouldnt have someone from outside the artistic community making off with all the readies. Are artists scared of being seen as small-time by being at small events? I did my fair bit of whinging about the lack of promoters willing to book events that i could play i at so I did it myself. I didn't realise until recently that there was such a lack of grime events, the All day breakfast guys up here (much as they fell on their arse) seem to have put more effort in pushing grime than the combined London contingent.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
It's hard to put on events which aren't tailored towards Shoreditch scum.

The Met Police have an aversion to congregations of young black males.

That and the fact that most promoters are clueless and don't actually know how to put on an event or build a line up. They tend to just throw whoever's name they hear on forums or Westwood together on a stage and hope for the best.

That's why a lot of events are very hit and miss, and why Boy Better Know are doing so well on the live circuit, because they work as a team and have been given the opportunity to work as such regularly.

straight

wings cru
i get what you're saying about east london folk but i think its a bit of a contidiction to be citing the lack of middle england interest in the music as a reason for the lask of money in grime then cussing a large market right on your doorstep. Those sorts are yourtaste makers early adopters, what they're into eventually filters down to the counties through the meeeja

Blackdown

nexKeysound
BBK do well because they are organised and professional. no promoter will book an act if there's only a 50% chance they'll turn up. some grime acts are like this, tho others obv aren't.

grime has totally failed to go digital too - it's totally not understanding how its audience wants to consume music now. where are all these amazing mixtapes on iTunes? UKRecordshop.digital.com would be a good start. iTunes would be next level. they shuold contact IODA n co...

hucks

Your Message Here
grime has totally failed to go digital too - it's totally not understanding how its audience wants to consume music now. where are all these amazing mixtapes on iTunes? UKRecordshop.digital.com would be a good start. iTunes would be next level. they shuold contact IODA n co...

I bought Axiom on i-tunes. I was a bit surprised to find it there, tbh. You can get mp3 d/ls on dubplate.net, but the site's a bit annoying - crashes a lot, throws you out when you're paying etc etc

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
sure, but these are exceptions, not rules. mostly grime is CD (UKRS.com) or vinyl (dwindling). given grime vinyl is dying, the artist or UKRS.com need to migrate to digital.

hint

party record with a siren
sure, but these are exceptions, not rules. mostly grime is CD (UKRS.com) or vinyl (dwindling). given grime vinyl is dying, the artist or UKRS.com need to migrate to digital.

Agreed.

I've just about given up on trying to find out artists / track titles on stuff I hear and like, because so much of it is never available to buy, or gets buried on a patchy 25 track CD that doesn't come out for months.

Stick it up on Juno - 320kbps MP3 for £1.50 or whatever. I'll buy it.

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
I'd be interested to know how many digital copies of 'Greatest Hits' Skepta managed to flog - putting it up for download a week before he put out the CD was a savvy move on his part I reckon. I know personally, that was the first (and thus far only) album I've ever paid to download, and what's more, been more than happy to do so.

Surely people like boomkat and bleep would be willing to host grime stuff as well? Or maybe a few of us should just band together and take the grime-downloads idea on Dragons Den!

straight

wings cru
Surely people like boomkat and bleep would be willing to host grime stuff as well? Or maybe a few of us should just band together and take the grime-downloads idea on Dragons Den!

no chance, not after ghetto sent for debra meadon on fuck radio 5

Immryr

haha, i'd love to see that happen. especially with an over estimation of the business' worth, just to watch theo and that american guy have a field day.

dragons den is strangely compelling tv!

tom pr

haha, i'd love to see that happen. especially with an over estimation of the business' worth, just to watch theo and that american guy have a field day.
I would say we should get wiley to do the pitch just for the sheer insanity of him having a ruck with Duncan Bannantine, but he just wouldn't turn up.

benjybars

village elder.
I would say we should get wiley to do the pitch just for the sheer insanity of him having a ruck with Duncan Bannantine, but he just wouldn't turn up.

haha. true.

do you reckon wiley misses a lot of doctor's appointments?? (er... no homo)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
And when you are making music which only really appeals to a small hardcore group of people, rather than middle England who have far greater disposable income, it means the effects on your potential revenue streams are enormous.

I get the impression that Funky House's main demographic is the working-class urban crowd as well, but I see loads of vinyl releases from them? Perhaps the fact grime's crowd is small matters more than its disposable income.

Which makes this,

i get what you're saying about east london folk but i think its a bit of a contidiction to be citing the lack of middle england interest in the music as a reason for the lask of money in grime then cussing a large market right on your doorstep.

right on the mark.