GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

viktorvaughn

yeah i know, but i just noticed a saturation of it on this show. it does suggest a constant musical influence by US rap on grime.
This was pretty much the only thing i could fault Guns and Roses II for. There were just one or two too many chipmunk style chorus lines.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
thats more or less been there from day dot though, no? before it was just one of many influences but now its become more dominant and been threatening to swallow up grimes more individual/unique aspects instead of the artists making it into their own thing.

yeah but even US rap isnt homogenius. it's just that one style seems to be prominant.

gumdrops

true. maybe its the strangely large influence dipset have on grime (everything from slang like 'its nothing' to 'true stories' etc etc). grime producers seem to like the diplomats' producers heatmakerz a lot.

as far as grime news, mizz beats has an interview in plan b this month and confirms what i thought from listening to beats like DEE signal, that she never really wanted to make grime, she was trying to make hip hop (at least with that beat she was) and well, didnt get it wrong. it makes sense, that beat sounds like something a def jux rapper would rhyme over - its ultra dry, very stiff, cold, the sonics are US indie-hip hop to a tee. she should produce for subtle or someone on anticon.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I don't really like pitched up sample tunes.

When artists come on to showcase their releases though, they get the choice of which bits to play.

mos dan

fact music
Saying Grime is so 2003 is SO 2006.....

innit. *points at Simon Reynolds*

is the mizz beats interview by melissa bradshaw?

to digress, i was listening to hazzardous sessions vol 1 for the first time since it came out today - really incredible stuff. still feel south agents are hugely underrated. and it's a fucking scandal that bossman hasn't been booked at FWD all year. ammunition are really pissing me off now (tonight's line-up: skream, n-type, scientist, appleblim vs headhunter.. zzzzzz).

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yeah but even US rap isnt homogenius.

Jim Jones is a homogenius though

2961029_jj_200x200.jpg

mpc

wasteman
the chipmunk vocal tracks are mainly made by up and coming producers. it's not really a new direction for any established producers. there were too many high pitched vocals on GNR2, though. can't believe what you're saying about roll deep - rules and regulations will be great.

you can't really complain that the broadsheets aren't doing enough grime features. it's not as if it's a style of music that their readers will want to know much about. the editors just do what's easiest.

elgato

I just dont know
you can't really complain that the broadsheets aren't doing enough grime features. it's not as if it's a style of music that their readers will want to know much about. the editors just do what's easiest.

i dont know whether that means one cant complain really, imo newspapers should report on important contemporary events and issues, across the board. and anyways i think a reasonable proportion of the readership would be interested (especially if it was written well)

Blackdown

nexKeysound

bollocks. it's not as simple as that: readers dont have a preset list of things they will or wont read, they can and should be persuaded by great journalism.

i also resent how indie rock can be considered a default for features and individual artist profiles whereas grime and other genres get one primer a year which is supposed to suffice. its tokenism.

mos dan

fact music
bollocks. it's not as simple as that: readers dont have a preset list of things they will or wont read, they can and should be persuaded by great journalism.

i also resent how indie rock can be considered a default for features and individual artist profiles whereas grime and other genres get one primer a year which is supposed to suffice. its tokenism.

default is exactly right, totally agree with you. anyone who's had a two pager in the nme is automatically considered fair game for a one pager in the broadsheets. arts eds read mags like plan b religiously and just scoop up 'what's hot' in indie from there - witness the long blondes - cover of plan b in the spring; two page features in every broadsheet by the summer.

meanwhile this is what i got from Observer arts ed Sarah D_____ (don't want her googling and finding this) in an e-mail regarding a feature pitch in the wake of the crazy titch murder charge - i was pitching the notion that the mainstream are only interested in street music when it 'goes wrong':

"saying the media don't give grime space is not strictly true - the media - from music mags to Daily Telegraph - went MAD for grime when Dizzee emerged. They would love to promote more stars - edgy is cool and all that. Problem surely has something to do with there not being a mainstream market for grime as there is with rap in US (hence 50 cent can make buckets of cash, hence stars are made)..."

despite that statement, she was *this* close to running it. dang. i think she's half right and half being naive - dizzee was a very special case, for a variety of reasons.

mpc - 'you can't really complain... [that] editors just do what's easiest' ???? you obviously have a VERY low opinion of the role/potential of journalism mate.

mpc

wasteman
it's called being realistic. i'm well aware that broadsheets could cover a much wider spectrum of music. you've obviously all been frantically pitching your ideas (hands up who's put their ideas forward for a hyphy article) so why haven't I seen many interesting music articles published in the broadsheets this year? answer: the editors just run what they think their readers will like. i'm not justifying it, i'm just saying. and anyway what newsworthy stories have there been in grime recently apart from crazy titch murdering someone?

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
It's not really fair to judge editors' current openness to grime, dubstep etc. until the next time an album comes out which 1. is really good (rules out e.g. Roll Deep) 2. you can buy in a chain shop in a small town (rules out any mixtape, stuff on Hyperdub) and 3. will result in an interesting interview (arguably rules out a lot of producers although obviously not e.g. Kode 9). If Wiley's album comes out and meets all three conditions and still gets no coverage, then it will be worth complaining.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Wiley was WILDING.

Evidently he was saying the truth when he said he couldn't stop sending. Although this may be bad for Wiley's physical health I think it'll probably keep pushing the stakes in the music up, which I think is a good thing. Still, hope it hasn't escalated too badly outside of music.