GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
thanks for the upload mate.

yeah roll deep are gonna have to come back with something big for me to still be impressed. not feeling 'badman'. ruff sqwad's 'breathe' would've been a way better trident song imo.

viktorvaughn

i feel like ruff sqwad are now in thier prime, wheras roll deep might perhaps be slightly past thiers. not sure, we will see how things pan out re: rules and regulations.....

couple questions just struck me

1) i wonder what the best selling mixtape ever is? disregarding 'proper' albums i mean

2) didn't tincy stryder used to be affiliated to roll deep when he was dead young, how come hes in ruff sqwad now...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
i feel like ruff sqwad are now in thier prime, wheras roll deep might perhaps be slightly past thiers. not sure, we will see how things pan out re: rules and regulations.....

couple questions just struck me

1) i wonder what the best selling mixtape ever is? disregarding 'proper' albums i mean

2) didn't tincy stryder used to be affiliated to roll deep when he was dead young, how come hes in ruff sqwad now...

1) I guess it'd be one of the LOTDs mixtape/dvd packs or one of Target's Aim Highs volumes

2) Wiley kept bringing Tinchy onto Roll Deep's radio shows and it's probable he was asked to join RD, but Tinchy stayed true to his Ruff brehs...there's on Wiley freestyle where he spits 'if you know Rascal then watch out for Stryder' and he nicked his 'on a level' bars on some track or other

viktorvaughn

1) I guess it'd be one of the LOTDs mixtape/dvd packs or one of Target's Aim Highs volumes

2) Wiley kept bringing Tinchy onto Roll Deep's radio shows and it's probable he was asked to join RD, but Tinchy stayed true to his Ruff brehs...there's on Wiley freestyle where he spits 'if you know Rascal then watch out for Stryder' and he nicked his 'on a level' bars on some track or other

rite, ta that explains it. and there is tinchy's 'new MCs' from 'i can see you can you see me' which is the same format and beat of that wiley tune, i rubbish at remembering names!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

It was over for Roll Deep long ago. They might've been great if they had kind of went on a sort of Wu-Tang Clan/Dipset model, where they put albums out under the crew name, and then all of the seperate MCs put out their own releases, and actually put their GOOD tracks on the album instead of chasing some kind of commercial pipedream. The problem is, aside from Dizzee, everyone appears to be completely lost when it comes to making albums. To this day I still don't understand why Wiley felt he had to make shitty compromised music to make it big, when grime's biggest success to date is Dizzee Rascal who released an album that changed virtually nothing about the sound.

Also, Roll Deep don't even use their best MCs. All over their shite album are MCs like Breeze and Jet Le, when they could've been making much better use of ones like Trim and Riko Dan. They have hit the glass ceiling in terms of commercial success. The mainstream music industry is generally very unforgiving, and given that absolute steamer of an album last year they likely have fallen miserably in the eyes of records execs and the general public. I mean, when Avenue was out you had fucking Chris Moyles playing it and saying it was "so bad it's brilliant." Not exactly leaps and bounds on the pop culture radar.

On top of everything, isn't Trim saying he isn't in Roll Deep now? And all of Wiley's recent output has been a result of the superior organization of Boy Better Know. If Rules and Regulations does find success then I will eat my words, but personally I think Wiley's dream of making a million has fallen dead in its tracks.

tox

Factory Girl
I finally got hold of that Tinchy mixtape Lost & Found today... I have to say, for a collection of old tracks it really is pretty impressive. Definately one to pick up if you haven't already.

Got the Slix and Kronic mixtapes to listen to later, but I'm not expecting them to live up to Tinchy's.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Boy
''On top of everything, isn't Trim saying he isn't in Roll Deep now? And all of Wiley's recent output has been a result of the superior organization of Boy Better Know. If Rules and Regulations does find success then I will eat my words, but personally I think Wiley's dream of making a million has fallen dead in its tracks''

I hope Trim hasn't completely aligned himself with Mike Skinner instead!

I'm not so sure that an 'On Road' version of ''In At The Deep End'' would have sold more.It would have resulted in more royalty free downloads,but sales?

Whatever the case,that moment has now passed.Is there really a paying audience for a pure Grime LP at this point,or a major label willing to promote one? Guns N Roses Vol 2 is a pretty strong release and I dont see labels clamoring to sign The Ruff Sqwad

Last edited:

boomnoise

♫
I've heard that Wiley is releasing an album on Geeneus's Dumpvalve label.

This is madness. 2 albums and 7 more mixtapes scheduled in the space of what must be less than eight months.

Making a million, slowly and industriously rather than with the one of megadeal is clearly the new strategy.

Blackdown

nexKeysound

Second Phaze was lined up for DumpValve but then Wiley, surprise surprise, changed his mind.

I never thought i'd think it either but Ruff Sqwad are definitely on top right now. Rapid is killing it production wise.

That said i revisited Second Phaze and it is a great album, still sounding strong.

mms

sometimes

This is madness. 2 albums and 7 more mixtapes scheduled in the space of what must be less than eight months.

Making a million, slowly and industriously rather than with the one of megadeal is clearly the new strategy.

hmm what happened to him signing to ninja tune?

he should make excellent music and the million dollars will come.

boomnoise

♫
as far as i know the one on big dada is scheduled for spring 07 - this is something in addition. i know very little else but i'm trying to find out.

boomnoise

♫
Second Phaze was lined up for DumpValve but then Wiley, surprise surprise, changed his mind.

I never thought i'd think it either but Ruff Sqwad are definitely on top right now. Rapid is killing it production wise.

That said i revisited Second Phaze and it is a great album, still sounding strong.

hmm i heard this very recently, that's why i mentioned it. hmm

mos dan

fact music
Big Dada release going well apparently...

Rapid is the don at the moment, no question. In the first six months of this year every week on Rinse it seemed like there was at least one great new beat from him. Shame their show is a bit inconsistent now - sometimes the MCs turn up with Spyro, sometimes Maxi... would prefer a regular Scholar/Beg show like before, as they're more likely to have new Slix/Rapid beats..

Is Lost&Found really worth getting? I was just so bored by I'm Back You Know. Loving the loved-up bits on Slix's mixtape right now.

mos dan

fact music
btw what are people saying about the Essentials comeback and comeback tune?

personally i'm stupidly excited. they're doing things 'properly' now (label, professional attitude) or so they say... the hype in the studio the first time Bossman played So Much Better was incredible - Bossman was just giddy with excitement and pride. :D

boomnoise

♫
Big Dada release going well apparently...

Is Lost&Found really worth getting? I was just so bored by I'm Back You Know. Loving the loved-up bits on Slix's mixtape right now.

i would say so. it's got i think 'i know him' on. worth the money alone for me.

elgato

I just dont know
it actually seems to imply that it is directly influenced by, or is almost derivative of, grime!

how do these people end up writing about music for broadsheets?!