GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
i hope my playful tone wasnt lost in translation! i was just being flippant sorry

no i saw it and appreciated it, sorry if that didn't come thru!

yeah gens over hatcha should be good!! gave me bare jokes that so many people on the dubstepforum were moralising about how they hated grime's warrish tendencies and bars about shanks would be the death of dubstep's friendly vibes, 'but newham generals are good though' - like, um, have you ever actually listened to any newham gens? when dee says he's gonna rub you out like pencil, he doesn't mean a drawing of you. haha.

d1's a badboy producer. his set on friday was pretty disappointing though, a bit too technoid for me (normally i like that tendency in his music tho).

viktorvaughn

So are m/any of the grime fans into UK hiphop or is it all derivitive tosh?;) I think there is a streak of boring and generic UK hiphop that does not have an equivelent in grime. However, there have been some top-notch records made in that tradition.

viktorvaughn

no i saw it and appreciated it, sorry if that didn't come thru!

yeah gens over hatcha should be good!! gave me bare jokes that so many people on the dubstepforum were moralising about how they hated grime's warrish tendencies and bars about shanks would be the death of dubstep's friendly vibes, 'but newham generals are good though' - like, um, have you ever actually listened to any newham gens? when dee says he's gonna rub you out like pencil, he doesn't mean a drawing of you. haha.

d1's a badboy producer. his set on friday was pretty disappointing though, a bit too technoid for me (normally i like that tendency in his music tho).

Yeah i know!! Newham Gens have lyrics as violent as anyone else in the genre!

'im on arms just like a bangle'

'put pistol up your nostril and pull' or whatever that line is...

People who claim to love dubstep but then hate any grime and garage influences in it do my fuckin nut in. 'Dubstep is grime properly made'!! Anyone who believes that should be banned from listenign to music for ever.

gumdrops

when dee says he's gonna rub you out like pencil, he doesn't mean a drawing of you. haha.

hahaha
the thing about grime being badly produced though does hold SOME weight. yeah its what the music is about to be roughly engineered (ahem) and 'raw' etc etc but sometimes thats just an excuse for shoddy beats, badly mixed production and beats that sound like the producer has only been making beats for a couple of days. its an unfair thing to say though cos that doesnt apply to a lot of the top tier producers but still, i can see why some people might say that.

tox

Factory Girl
Any opinions on Derkhead or Tropical, the new Boy Betta Know releases?

I've been listening to them this morning (torture getting them yesterday, on no music day!) and I'm pretty impressed.

Derkhead is pretty much back-to-back boy better know classics. I'm really enjoying the way JME re-works his classic bars and tracks on each new edition. It could be really boring, but some how he manages to keep everything fresh each and everytime. I especially like 96 Bars of JME.

Tropical is a mixed CD, with no MCs. It certainly isn't what I would describe as Grime - perhaps being the Grime permutation of this Funky House which people keep talking about. It's plesant enough, kinda sexy like 2step, but not half as interesting. Seems to share a lot with bassline house, for which there's a massive pirate and club scene for up here in Birmingham. A cross over could get pretty big clubbing wise I guess.

elgato

I just dont know
tubby is one of the sickest producers in dubstep/grime right now imo, so innovative

footsie also, dirty skankin is an outrageous track

cant wait to hear this set

if you're feelin it, get the newhams & dizzy set from barefiles, thats outrageous

viktorvaughn

tubby is one of the sickest producers in dubstep/grime right now imo, so innovative

footsie also, dirty skankin is an outrageous track

cant wait to hear this set

if you're feelin it, get the newhams & dizzy set from barefiles, thats outrageous

Hes got a good radio personality too, there was a Rinse set where he was filling in for somone and just played an hour and a half of rave and hardkore!

There was some funny chat over it too, i love radio mixes with the DJs over them...

viktorvaughn

Any opinions on Derkhead or Tropical, the new Boy Betta Know releases?

I've been listening to them this morning (torture getting them yesterday, on no music day!) and I'm pretty impressed.

Derkhead is pretty much back-to-back boy better know classics. I'm really enjoying the way JME re-works his classic bars and tracks on each new edition. It could be really boring, but some how he manages to keep everything fresh each and everytime. I especially like 96 Bars of JME.

Tropical is a mixed CD, with no MCs. It certainly isn't what I would describe as Grime - perhaps being the Grime permutation of this Funky House which people keep talking about. It's plesant enough, kinda sexy like 2step, but not half as interesting. Seems to share a lot with bassline house, for which there's a massive pirate and club scene for up here in Birmingham. A cross over could get pretty big clubbing wise I guess.

Mine should be in the post tomorow i rekon! Skepta is lagging behind a bit with the old CD releases!!

gumdrops

is that a recent newer one or the ones from earlier in the year? they were good sets although i wasnt too into dizzee's new chopped up/clipped flow.

agreed about footsie though - the remix of scars that was released in january was ridiculous.

elgato

I just dont know
nah im talking about the old one from like april or something

i thought it was sick, overall dizzy wasnt amazing but at times i thought there were flashes of brilliance. and i thought monksta was amazing on that

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
Derkhead is big. I enjoyed it the most out of the three grime cd´s. I really don´t mind the old lyrics as I haven´t heard them that much lately, plus he does them well (practice makes perfect). 96 bars of JME is probably the best track of all his cd´s.

And Tropical, well it disappoints. The music on there isn´t finished yet, but i agree with tox on the potential it has. I was really looking forward to it, but it just doesn´t come to life. Maybe I need to listen to it more.....

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Mine should be in the post tomorow i rekon! Skepta is lagging behind a bit with the old CD releases!!

Skepta was on The Plasticians Radio 1 show the other day and said that he is working with Mike Skinner now, and that the album is on the way (possibly on Skinner's label I guess).

hint

party record with a siren
Skepta was on The Plasticians Radio 1 show the other day and said that he is working with Mike Skinner now, and that the album is on the way (possibly on Skinner's label I guess).

I think he said that Skinner wanted a couple of singles for his label, which means Skepta now has to record some extra stuff for his album to make up for the fact that a few of the tracks have been licensed elsewhere.

gumdrops

hope thats true about skepta signing to the beats. hope the album comes out well and not too skinner-ized. either way, hes better than the other guys the streets has signed (mitchell bros, example, prof green)

elgato

I just dont know
on the topic of skepta and mike skinner, have you heard that prangin' out remix? pretty decent, although i wasnt overly impressed by a few of the performances... who did the beat?

gumdrops

the slew dem mixtape is fantastic. id cut the hip hop tracks out and maybe mix it a bit better but its so much better than the boy better know mix CDs IMO. ridiculously OTT with the aggression (and the front cover is pretty bad) but the music is some of the hardest, rawest grime ive heard this year. im tempted to say kronik is actually underrated.

viktorvaughn

the slew dem mixtape is fantastic. id cut the hip hop tracks out and maybe mix it a bit better but its so much better than the boy better know mix CDs IMO. ridiculously OTT with the aggression (and the front cover is pretty bad) but the music is some of the hardest, rawest grime ive heard this year. im tempted to say kronik is actually underrated.

whats it called? im in the middle of buying a batch of grime cds from ukrecordshop but i can't see it on there anywhere.