questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

hint

party record with a siren
My turn: does calling a tune a 'rinser' or a 'rinseout' actually mean anything about what the tune sounds like, apart from the fact that it's liable to get rinsed by DJs? Like if you talk about 'rinsers and rollers' or 'an amen rinseout'?

I'd say that a rinser is something hectic and exciting. A hype tune.

A roller is usually more restrained, with a less dynamic arrangement (i.e. no big drops, builds or crazy drum chops). I would describe Pulp Fiction as a roller, for example.

john eden

male pale and stale
An "amen rinse out" would be a tune in which the amen break was rinsed out - i.e. lots of it and all over the shop.

But I doubt it has a precise meaning, lol.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Could be off the mark here.

Tresor started as UFO and was kind of their Hacienda(I think,) late 80s. They had the the Detroit lot from the early 90s onwards and the club became a bi-word for Techno.
I suppose all that would have lead to Ostgut etc.

Richie Hawtin moved over early 00s and made it trendy/shite.

Munich I suppose would have been fairly synonymous with it too. Think Moroder even had his studio there in the 70s.

connect_icut

Thanks for all the modal/chromatic info. Makes me realise that both of those things are relevant to what I do - which tends to involve a lot of loose improvising around (sometimes modal) scales (with little reference to chord structure) and the occasional use of notes outside to scale to create interesting dissonances, where appropriate.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Raags are the obvious great uncles of modal improvisation, although a raag isn't neccessarily a mode and comes with a lot more extra information. I'm not sure how consciously the early modal jazz players were influenced by indian classical, although it was the sort of thing that was flying around a lot back then...

luka

tunes that make you scrw up your face like english frank, not that ive ver used the term, but thats what they mean

gumdrops

i take it to just mean a certain exuberance, doesnt have to be a screwface tune (see: stop dat by dizzee for example of this), though yeah, its not really a term to use unless youre quoting energy flash

luka

i meaen you screw up your face not cos youre necessarily feeling agresive but cos the energy is flowing through you lik adam whn he invokes the power of greyskull and turns into he-man

gumdrops

he-man shit. im trying to think of a good 'rudeness 101' tune. could be anything i suppose. something like original nuttah (tho this is screwface also) or wookies down on me maybe. those are both dark tho. i dont think rude has to mean dark.

dd528

I was reading an interview with Chris Blackwell (Island Records founder) in Wax Poetics magazine, and he was talking about how after the Wailers recorded Catch a Fire the tracks were taken to the UK and had extensive overdubbing work done on them to help market the group more as a black rock band than as a reggae band. The modified version became the worldwide success we know and love today.

Since then I've heard talk about the original version of the record a couple of times, but have yet to speak to anyone who has heard it or has a copy. Anyone know if it remains in print or if there might be a place to download it? Anyone even heard it?

hint

party record with a siren
Since then I've heard talk about the original version of the record a couple of times, but have yet to speak to anyone who has heard it or has a copy. Anyone know if it remains in print or if there might be a place to download it? Anyone even heard it?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
rudeness = blackness/jamaican-ness (lol) in some way though, doesn't it? Presumably the term comes via 'Rudeboy'.

Ory

warp drive
why is brostep called brostep when 'bro' is used by the pitchfork crowd. i don't know much about america but surely jockstep would be better?

'bro' is used ironically by the pitchfork/hipster crowd, but sincerely by the high-fivin' shirts-off cartoonishly macho type (jock as you put it).

whether brostep in reality is more popular with the former or the latter, i'm not sure really, but obv sonically it mirrors much better with the stereotypical image of the meathead jock.