questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

juanroberto

Reprezenting the Latinos
'bro' is used ironically by the pitchfork/hipster crowd, but sincerely by the high-fivin' shirts-off cartoonishly macho type (jock as you put it).

whether brostep in reality is more popular with the former or the latter, i'm not sure really, but obv sonically it mirrors much better with the stereotypical image of the meathead jock.

makes sense when you think about it. thanks Ory

:):)

wise

bare BARE BONES
I was reading an interview with Chris Blackwell (Island Records founder) in Wax Poetics magazine, and he was talking about how after the Wailers recorded Catch a Fire the tracks were taken to the UK and had extensive overdubbing work done on them to help market the group more as a black rock band than as a reggae band. The modified version became the worldwide success we know and love today.

Since then I've heard talk about the original version of the record a couple of times, but have yet to speak to anyone who has heard it or has a copy. Anyone know if it remains in print or if there might be a place to download it? Anyone even heard it?

6 for sale on Discogs
http://www.discogs.com/Bob-Marley-The-Wailers-Catch-A-Fire-Deluxe-Edition/release/670922

I haven't heard it but i've got other Marley tunes in their original Lee Perry incarnations, I have trouble listening to the Island Bob Marley stuff.

rrrivero

I am in a position to download it if anybody's interested but I'm not sure what the forum policy about that stuff is here

dd528

ta folks. seems it's more readily available than i was expecting. could probably have done a bit more research there...

I always assumed it was a dub/vip made initially for the bigger raves/stageshows that then got a release. The Know We megamix with all the different 8bars in it is a prime example- that came out as Know We PA Megamix I think?

I never owned it so I'm going off slightly a stoned recollection of my mate's records but I think I'm right.

Spike

Dissential
I don't know if it's used correctly on those records, but at work (I'm a sound engineer) the PA mix is usually a print of the mix with the lead vocal muted, but with all other backing vocals left in the mix. And therefore can be used for live performances, i.e. the singer performing the lead vocal live but it sounding almost like the recorded version

benw

this is a really obvious one i reckon but does anyone know the uk garage tune with lyrics : 'talking to my baby back at the yard'? and its not MAW - work... which is all that comes up when i google it.

Benny Bunter

this is a really obvious one i reckon but does anyone know the uk garage tune with lyrics : 'talking to my baby back at the yard'? and its not MAW - work... which is all that comes up when i google it.

Sounds like you're thinking of DJ Deller's 'Romantic call'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
They pronounce it 'main attrak-sheeenz' sometimes but also e.g. 'loud pack' 'loud payyyk'. What is that - a wail?

One of the hard things about writing about rap music, once you've taken it upon yourself to do so to an unnecessarily analytic extent, is describing what someone's voice sounds like... I need more words - wailing, drawling, slurring, screaming etc...

stephenk

thanks!

yeah corpsey, i have the same problem with dance music...i don't know how many times i've written shit like "woozy"

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That 'ayyyy' thing Jeezy does (and The Dream) - what do you call that? ''Ayyying''? I suppose there's no other word for it really.

Dance music is very difficult to write about without making terrible comparisons like: 'this tune sounds like a man in a red hat riding a bicycle through a jungle full of plimsoles'. Or 'this sounds like ____ ON ACID'. or 'this sounds like ____step walked down an alley and got sexually assaulted by ____-techno'...

Failing that, write an inventory of the instruments that have been used. ''In comes the slinky guitar and the menopausal xylophone to wreak havoc like Mozart ON ACID. The resulting mish-mash is like a dog juggling biscuits in front of an audience of slack-jawed prelates. (four and a half stars)."

I dunno, it's difficult. Even worse, its pointless. Some people can do it, though. I've often done all of those things I just took the piss out of. I was asked to write a press release thing for a record company once and I fell back on 'this tune sounds like going through the jungle, the hi-hats chittering like mountain men clinging to highland rocks as the chill wind obliterates them into pimple-barnacles' blah blah blah blah