questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

viktorvaughn

Is there still a back to africa movement in Caribbean? When Sizzla says 'repatriation me a say' it's just a symbolic phrase asserting african links/heritage rather than something more right?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Two more to add to the pile:

1.) Are baile funk and funk carioca the same thing or not?
2.) Is Martin Dust a member of The Black Dog?

rivet90210

hcker3.jpg

Any i dea what he's got up on the screen? It's Florian Hecker, and I am nerding the fuck out over here

pajbre

the left laptop it looks a bit like it's running max/msp (only guessing based on the gray sliders in the lower-left of the interface)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ok, I reckon this one really could lose me some music cred, but I'll do it anyway:
When people - seemingly always in the context of dubstep - use the phrase 'eyes down' in relation to a particular tune, what exactly do they mean?
To me, it has to do with a particular sort of vibe a tune might have - bleak/moody, yet still danceable. Brings to mind images of the dancefloor crowd concentrating intently on their feet and avoiding eye contact with each other. But I also suspect I could be getting this totally wrong.

viktorvaughn

Yeah i always thought something like that - though more of a meditative vibe with people lost in thought that a negative mood with people unwilling to make eye contact.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
That could be it, too. Glad to see we're thinking in vaguely the same direction. Someone in the know give us the definitive answer plz!

hint

party record with a siren
That could be it, too. Glad to see we're thinking in vaguely the same direction. Someone in the know give us the definitive answer plz!

In certain circles, "the kids" like to pull up their hoods and stare at the floor to show appreciation for a tune. The physical equivalent of shouting "boooo!" when you really mean "yaaay!".

This is one of my musings rather than an actual question. Does anyone think Space Ape sounds remarkably similar to a racist doing an impression of a Jamaican.

Tanadan

likes things
This is one of my musings rather than an actual question. Does anyone think Space Ape sounds remarkably similar to a racist doing an impression of a Jamaican.

Yeah. It puts me off playing the records that he's done with Kode9, his accent seems too exaggerated to me. He MCd at a gig I went to once though and he was amazing, very engaged. Also re the accent, I looked at his website once and 'Spaceape' seems to be a sort of art(-school) project persona, which makes me question how much of himself he represents in those recordings...