Modern Dub

D84

Yeah I usually have heaps of time for Richard H Kirk's work but Chant to Jah didn't do it for me I'm afraid.

As for modern dub anything with Adrian Sherwood on it is usually good. I often put Dub Syndicate's Fear of a Green Planet or that recent Sherwood CD on Real World.

How are the recent Bill Laswell dub CDs on ROIR? I got the first one and that was was pretty good, the 2nd was maybe a bit too "jazzy".

Yeah, the first two Rhythm & Sound CDs are classics. I haven't heard the Twilight Circus stuff yet - I get the feeling I'm missing out on something.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
twilight circus have some nice stuff... I have a twilight circus album called "volcano dubs" (maybe) that i really like.. I love the crooklyn dub compilations on wordsound. volume 3 has some awesome tracks by prince charming, twilight circus, bill laswell and spectre. volume 4 is a bit less dubby but has some interesting stuff from most of the above and dj rupture's on there as well. don't know much about new dub apart from these and they aren't that new anymore. Have a sly and robbie album from about 5 years back with some very modern dub on it... look for the track "drilling for oil".

p.s. - anyone know of any good german dub / dancehall producers / artists? I know the soundsystem scene is supposed to be pretty good there and from what I hear german dancehall makes the charts over there. Have a track by "seed" with really crazy fat bouncy analogue production that I really like.

And what about Japanese riddim producers? Read an interview with diplo raving about some Japanese productions he picked up on tour but the only Japanese dancehall I've managed to find here is pretty horrible pop-dancehall fare or mediocre mc's on famous riddims... I know there's better stuff around but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

ripley

dsp13 said:
p.s. - anyone know of any good german dub / dancehall producers / artists? I know the soundsystem scene is supposed to be pretty good there and from what I hear german dancehall makes the charts over there. Have a track by "seed" with really crazy fat bouncy analogue production that I really like.

Rhythm and Sound is German.

Also see my Al Haca information, above. They're German. Ditto Jah Coozi, also mentioned above.

Seeed are big in the German scene, and their riddims get some respect outside - from Doctor's Darling (a refix), to (the mighty) Pharoah Riddim, Messer Banzani to a new one, Rodeo.

Heard something about Sir Larsie I as a producer, out of the South somewhere, I haven't heard any of it myself.

Echo Beach is a german reggae and dub label. Germaican is another one (Gentleman is the most famous vocalist off that tho he does more conscious rootsy stuff).

Further south, in Austria there's Dubblestandart.

dsp13 said:
And what about Japanese riddim producers? Read an interview with diplo raving about some Japanese productions he picked up on tour but the only Japanese dancehall I've managed to find here is pretty horrible pop-dancehall fare or mediocre mc's on famous riddims... I know there's better stuff around but I can't seem to find it.

Last I heard, Mighty Crown Sound System (out of Japan) were winning soundclashes in Jamaica. But most of the recordings I've heard are clash style - kind of like listening to a sporting event.

Last edited:

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
Thanks for the info Ripley! forgive my ignorance / skim reading if you already said rhythm and sound were outta Germany... tried to read it all but I'd just woken up at the time. Definately be checking for some of that stuff.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

The Rhythm & Sound 'Round One to Round Five' Mainstreet comp is cool. Starts with upbeat Chicago flava house and then gradually gets more crusty and spacious until its fully dusted R&S style dub at the end. Honk honk.

My fave of the BM/RS vinyl releases I've heard so far is the March Down Babylon single (BM12), which is quite different to the version on the 'With the Artists' comp. Slower tempo, more skankin', lovely harmony in the chorus. The style/treatment of the vocal makes me think of gospel as much as dub, and I love how the song is so politicised/old testament righteous.

Politricks have failed
They let murderers invade
They fulfill prophecy
And made themselves history

Ready ready ready ready ready
Fe gon' march down Babylon

Politricks have failed
They let murderers invade
I am not afraid
No I can't be afraid, no no yeah

Mr Politician
You make all these plans
Who's gonna force your hands
So you won't starve this land

I know...

Ready ready ready
Ready ready ready

--

Those guys are the knees of the bees.

dave

the day today tonight
bleep said:
My fave of the BM/RS vinyl releases I've heard so far is the March Down Babylon single (BM12), which is quite different to the version on the 'With the Artists' comp.
do you mean the limited white label of march down babylon? wish i owned that one, its pretty deep huh.

zhao

there are no accidents
been going through a dozen or so Wackies reissues lately... very, very nice. Lee Perry vs Wackies... Lovejoys... African Roots... Creation dub... I wonder how deep the catalog is?

john eden

male pale and stale
confucius said:
been going through a dozen or so Wackies reissues lately... very, very nice. Lee Perry vs Wackies... Lovejoys... African Roots... Creation dub... I wonder how deep the catalog is?

Their catalogue seems pretty vast from what I've seen - even after all the reissues there are still a load of other releases commanding big bucks 2nd hand.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
bth said:
Hello,

this is my first post, so I wanted to introduce myself - I run a vinyl label from Poland called Siodemki Faktory ("siodemki" is a word for 7" singles in Polish). We are releasing a dud LP by an artista called Jah Free (whom you probably know if you are into dub).

I'd like you to listen to the sound samples and maybe share your opinion :)

http://label.siodemki.com/en/news/2005-11-24_Jah,Free,Pillar,of,Salt.php

Cheers!
Bartek

Heavy dub business!

I have only heard one Jah Free tune before, "Dub One Another" on Universal Egg's "Egg Files" compilation, and that was brilliant.

This sound equally good, big up!

Fitta Warri is also great, although this video (http://www.newbeats.de/video/sababa700kb.wmv) for his tune "Sababa Vibes" maybe doesn't have the highest production value.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
bleep said:
The Rhythm & Sound 'Round One to Round Five' Mainstreet comp is cool. Starts with upbeat Chicago flava house and then gradually gets more crusty and spacious until its fully dusted R&S style dub at the end. Honk honk.

My fave of the BM/RS vinyl releases I've heard so far is the March Down Babylon single (BM12), which is quite different to the version on the 'With the Artists' comp. Slower tempo, more skankin', lovely harmony in the chorus. The style/treatment of the vocal makes me think of gospel as much as dub, and I love how the song is so politicised/old testament righteous.

I agree, that tune is... just perfect. I'm not sure I've heard the alternative version your talking about though.

But its called "Mash Down Babylon", not "March...". Though it does sound very much like they're singing "march".

owen

DonRuba said:
I agree, that tune is... just perfect. I'm not sure I've heard the alternative version your talking about though.

But its called "Mash Down Babylon", not "March...". Though it does sound very much like they're singing "march".
ah it is an awesome record, for reasons mentioned. they do claim an intention to 'march pon' babylon at one point if i remember rightly

tate

Brown Sugar
ripley said:
and I've just started listening to Jah Coozi

anyone else heard this? thoughts?

Jahcoozi are based in berlin, though the singer is originally from london

apparently the germans are calling it 'ragga tech'

my mate is close friends with Jahcoozi's singer, whose boyfriend incidentally is the guy running WMF who has been bringing all of the grime to berlin the past two years, jammer and the hotel room etc on the dvd

you can listen to the record at the kitty-yo site here (sorry can't link directly to the tracks)

jd_

I don't know if it exactly counts, but I was really into "Move Me" by Gudrun Gut this year. It's based around a kind of tango loop I guess but it's really really thick sounding To me, it sounds like dub, but the vocals and the way the loop works off this rigid muted guitar click, all the underlying structures of the song aren't like anything I've heard that way before.

mms

sometimes
Tate said:
anyone else heard this? thoughts?

Jahcoozi are based in berlin, though the singer is originally from london

apparently the germans are calling it 'ragga tech'

my mate is close friends with Jahcoozi's singer, whose boyfriend incidentally is the guy running WMF who has been bringing all of the grime to berlin the past two years, jammer and the hotel room etc on the dvd

you can listen to the record at the kitty-yo site here (sorry can't link directly to the tracks)

is the boyfriend fredrick - dj maxximus? he's got a grime mix coming out soon, which is odd, first non grimer to do grime ..

there is that other crew on scape called bus .. germans with a scots mc too .

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
re: japanese dancehall

the indian summer riddim which came out this year was produced in japan

also, try the 'stepping' riddim by guiding star for nice happy japanese reggae vibes.. never fails to break down language barriers and get people on the floor regardless :)

the papa b version is killer - tsunagarou - meaning "come together"

reggae is huge in japan.. artists like ryo the skywalker, H-man, pushin (ugh) and moomin (double ugh) w/ top ten hits.. mighty crown raves with 50000 people (maybe.. some pictures floating about certainly make it seem that big)

for poppy cheese try miki douzan - Lifetime Respect is his big song (isso isso ni ittekureya!) but his older stuff is downright dirty and hillarious.

back on track, what happened to all that shuffley micro-dubby stuff which was popular a few years back? i really liked a lot of it ... not really the same sound but i thought the yellow pole album was also really nice.

the strategy 7" on shockout was brilliant too - would really like to hear more of this kind of stuff.

Last edited:

tate

Brown Sugar
mms said:
is the boyfriend fredrick - dj maxximus? he's got a grime mix coming out soon, which is odd, first non grimer to do grime ..

nah, the bf is gerriet, owner of WMF, though I'll be curious to see what maxximus turns out

defchild

selecta
Check out SKOR Records outta Echo Park in Los Angeles. DubLoner (aka Ken Gibson), Polycubist, Triton & Ruoho Ruotsi are doing some interesting and innovative work using modern dub techniques.

version

This new Pole album sounds really nice thus far. The opening track almost sounds like Returnal-era OPN with a bunch of low end and drums.