DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomnoise

♫
im also very very interested to see what horsepower/benny ill have/has been doing since their 'return' (presuming theyre not just llowing it)

i hear benny's heading back to nyc soon. haven't heard much from him in terms of actual beats though. still, there's hope the much mooted return will actually happen this year.

new full album is what i'm hoping for.

A return of Horsepower sounds too good to be true, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

In defence of the Sleeparchive Dubstep track: It's not amazing but it's okay. Lets be honest, we've all heard stuff less inspiring than that. Perhaps people are so dissapointed with it because they've heard much better from the producer/s. I thought the 2 Modeselektor remixes they did were alright (far overshadowed by the Siriusmo mix though), but the Hospital Tracks LP was slightly underwhelming and silly in parts. I think my favourite track on it was the least 'minimal' one there.

Not sure how Dissensus take these shameless plugs, but I've done an interview with up & coming producers Cotti & Cluekid up on www.darksidesophistication.com
You can also download the 1 hour radio show they did with Hatcha & Crazy D on there. Cotti & Clue play mainly there own tracks so it's a good representation of what's on their hardrive.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Anyone heard the Plastician & Skream remix of "Someway through this" by The Black Ghosts?

I hear it got a rewind at FWD last week..

(must confess I am tangentially involved with this but I just wondered if anyone had any opinions if they'd heard it yet?)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Don't know if the audio link's still working but it was on this Skream set:

http://dubstepforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15509

edit - Now I understand what you're asking. Sounded OK to me! Will have to listen again to form a proper opinion. Only thing I can remember thinking at the time was that I wasn't sure at first how the chords were working with the vocal but in the end it seemed pretty cool. Good to hear more vocal stuff anyway.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Blackdown, yesterday:

"Then today, I get a call from the NME asking about a dubstep primer they're running, which has a Hadouken boxout as part of it. Apparently indie clubs are having "a dubstep hour". Eeek. Ah well, my primary gripe with the NME (and all the powerful rock press) is that they're so narrowly monocultural, so I won't complain when indie clubs embrace the bass."

Is this real? How would this work (how could this work?) amongst the coke-electro and post-punk ordinaire derivative grey guitar wash? Baffled more than anything else. Do they really mean Dubstep, or are they actually on about Grime...?

Answers on a postcard...

mms

sometimes
Blackdown, yesterday:

"Then today, I get a call from the NME asking about a dubstep primer they're running, which has a Hadouken boxout as part of it. Apparently indie clubs are having "a dubstep hour". Eeek. Ah well, my primary gripe with the NME (and all the powerful rock press) is that they're so narrowly monocultural, so I won't complain when indie clubs embrace the bass."

Is this real? How would this work (how could this work?) amongst the coke-electro and post-punk ordinaire derivative grey guitar wash? Baffled more than anything else. Do they really mean Dubstep, or are they actually on about Grime...?

Answers on a postcard...

indie isn't coke electro it's just really pissed people isn't it?
the only time i heard some grime at an indie type club it was next to old hardcore in a kind of ironic haw haw sense.

psherburne

i'm a little late to chime in on all this but here goes...

just heard skull 006 and it is FANTASTIC, not just one of the best dubstep records i've heard in ages, but best singles hands down, certainly this month.

i'm not at all surprised by that turntable lab thing. they strike me a lot like the fader -- they're totally stuck in a US-centric view of the world (fuck it, NY-centric); not a lot gets in, and what does has to fit to their preconceptions. i'm sure they wouldn't get mad about their beloved baltimore club music being happy, but this early dubstep/late 2step sounds suspicious because it ain't, like, dizzee. i'm sure if you're into hip hop turntable lab is a great resource but i have little use for them; the only house they seem to rate, besides french electrohouse (yawn) is switch and dubsided and whatnot -- great stuff, but i don't see why it's so hard to make a move from that to some of the german shit. go figure.

and blackdown, what do you find so compelling about the cyrus record? i'm listening now and i don't really hear it -- but i'm also not so much an expert on the tectonic sound.

STN

sou'wester
i'm a little late to chime in on all this but here goes...

just heard skull 006 and it is FANTASTIC, not just one of the best dubstep records i've heard in ages, but best singles hands down, certainly this month.

When's this out?

mms

sometimes
When's this out?

later in the month its a killer, as i mentioned earlier, one of my recs of the year too.
did anyone see dmz in the observer magazine? someone bought it in todee at work they looked grumpy in the photo.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
nme piece looks okj apart from telling people that 'indie kids can hear it at whatever indie night, rather than directing them towards dmz.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Keep DMZ free of indie kids!

:D

I'm kind of indie looking despite the music I listen to. There's always been a few of us at DMZ :p

I can't make the 2nd birthday bash unfortunately but hopefully at the april dmz I won't get shanked by people assuming I'm just some wasteman nme reader :D

straight

wings cru
i think theyre referin to the new wave of indie/electro posing joints rather than spit and sawdust stone roses £1 a drink affairs. i do visuals at one of the more cutting edge of these nights called tramp up here in manc and they reported that when they played the scala in london the other week that in this made up new rave frenzy that theyre playin old 2step records (as well as crappy trance) really badly, proper wound my mate up too cos when he was a kid he was a south london badman. the dubstep hour thing is clearly fictional, i can imagine maybe 1 anthem tune like 9 samurai or something but the whole point of indie electro discos is posing, shaking your ass and getting laid (which is no bad thing) so i dont see any extended skanks doing anything other than clearing floors. its just become another word thats put on the bottom of flyers to outcool people. its a repeat of a couple of years ago when itd mention grime on the poster but their grime collection would consist of a downloaded copy of boy in the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.