luka

evenings are really difficult i find. what do you do with them? i personally cant read in them but if he can good luck to him.

luka

you can get wasted obviously but there's a limit, you can't do it every night. even edmund takes a few weeks off here and there

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
J'avais l'habitude de mettre ma foi dans le culte
Mais alors ma chance d'aller au paradis a glissé
J'avais l'habitude de m'inquiéter de l'avenir
Mais ensuite j'ai jeté ma prudence au vent
Je n'avais aucune raison d'être insouciant, non, non, non
Jusqu'à ce que je fasse un voyage de l'autre côté de la ville, ouais, ouais, ouais
Tu sais que j'ai entendu ce rythme boogie, hey
Je n'avais pas d'autre choix que de descendre, descendre, descendre, descendre

Benny Bunter

valery is odd in that he decided he wanted his poetry to be entirely conscious. but poetry can't be written with the conscious mind.
Not totally sure what you mean, but from what I've gathered from the little I've read:

He consciously kept to quite strict forms of rhyme and metre, maybe one of the last major modernist European poets to do so. Kind of similar to Stevens in that regard, whose originality lies in the images he used rather than the form, not bothering with free verse and spreading words across the pages etc.

Apparently Cemetery by the sea was written consciously into a preconceived musical form he had going round his head for ages before he even wrote a word.

He constantly tinkered and revised his stuff for ages until someone more or less insisted he published them - if not he'd have endlessly carried on because he considered the poetic process more important than the final product.

But despite that arguably conservative, over-studied approach, in cemetery at least he totally nails that feeling of poetic creation. At the beginning he's just lazily laid back in awe looking at the tranquil sea, then he goes through all sorts of crises, shakes himself out of it, and at the end there's an ecstatic climax where he demands the waves to break and he purifies himself in the salt water to be born again. If it's all consciously thought out beforehand, it doesn't feel like it, there's a real movement to it you get swept away by.

The English versions I've looked at on the net weren't all that good but the Spanish one I've got is great.

Benny Bunter

I like how there's no slack in it all, nothing there that shouldn't be there, refined and exquisite, but not bloodless

Benny Bunter

Like this quote too "Poetry is to prose as dancing is to walking."

Gonna get that new directions book when I get back from holiday