luka

This is precisely why Dawkins is such a great example as commonplace telegraph reader bigotry is presented as rational. As what any right thinking servant of truth believes.

Last edited:

luka

This is something I've spent at least a decade trying to drill into your brain but you've got a block.

version

in this theory they are not always environmentalists. Often the environment is a cover. Google Agenda 21 and see how people have run with it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21

It's not a a huge stretch if you assume there is a pocket of the elite for whom overpopulation is an obsession. A world with 500 million and all today's technology. Might be quite nice.

A lot of conspiracy theories exist because they write themselves.

A lot of today's problems do seem to be problems of scale. Driving cars is alright, just not when billions of you are doing it, likewise many other things.

luka

Of course. Tourism too. Whatever. Naturally.

Another reason Dawkins is such a great example is that he thinks his scientific training is mappable onto the social and the psychological. You get this often with people who have trained in philosophy too. Always laughable results.

luka

In fact I'd say that the more convinced a person is of their own rationality the more easily they are swayed by the irrational. Because everything happens in darkness.

Not so different from the way a repressed sexuality bubbles up in all kinds of cruel and perverse ways. It has much more force on account of being denied.

luka

In terms of what a 'reasonable' amount of paranoia might be, its important, I think, to remember that organised elites have been responsible for slavery eugenics programs mass starvation forced labour false imprisonment genocides torture and not to blithely assume that all that is in the past, or something only filthy foreigners do.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In terms of what a 'reasonable' amount of paranoia might be, its important, I think, to remember that organised elites have been responsible for slavery eugenics programs mass starvation forced labour false imprisonment genocides torture and not to blithely assume that all that is in the past, or something only filthy foreigners do.

All true, of course. And some of the worst atrocities have been justified by exactly the kind of thinking you're so susceptible to: the inhuman or subhuman 'enemy within' that must be purged, wiped out, eradicated like a disease. Infidels, heretics, witches, kulaks, the bourgeoisie, the Jews - same principle in each case.

How many times have you ranted in here about wiping out vermin and parasites?

No doubt you're right that I have unexamined prejudices, because everyone has them. But I think you've got some of your own fairly dark impulses.

luka

part of the difficulties you have revolve around difficulties in judging tone and intent context etc. You're a very unsophisticated reader. So you take things literally far too often. You take expressions of emotion for programmatic statements and so on. It's just poor reading comprehension. I can't do maths so it evens out. The difference is, I don't try and do maths

luka

If I was to try and do maths, I'd say, tea, I'm having trouble with this maths would you mind helping me a bit. I just can't get my head around it.

luka

And you, being a decent sort, would say, sure, it's pretty elementary stuff, let me take you through it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
If you take 'irrational' to mean emotional and intuitive, then yeah, I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not Mr Spock and neither is any other human, even (or rather especially) those who think they are.

Or, if by irrational you mean anything marginally outside of a very blinkered and easily manipulatable framework which more often than not plays into the hands of the global enslaving elite, then yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

There's another quite different meaning of the word, though, which is a belief in the literal reality of the divine, supernatural or occult. (Sorry if that sounds pejorative, it's not meant to - perhaps you've had experiences which would make me feel the same way you do about this stuff if I'd had them. It's certainly not about my brain working any better than yours, at any rate.)

Back to the easy and lazy words used to end the discourse. By divine are you talking about a guy in the sky or simple human potential? Supernatural means ghosts? Or the possibility of things existing beyond our limited sense field? Occult means witches? Or advanced understanding of mental power, eg tuning in to new layers of perception with simple meditation?

A third angle to this, and the most dangerous, is related to the second meaning but goes further because it cannot fail to have to have real-life consequences (whereas it's possible to be a religious believer and not want to go and kill people as a result, obviously). This aspect is the privileging of intuition and faith over reason and evidence, to the point where an assertion becomes *more* certain the *less* evidence there is for it. This lies at the heart of the conspiracy theorist's worldview, and it's formed the seed of many of the greatest crimes in history.

Armed with the highest tech of the time. Of course there are irrational theorists on both sides of the coin. But to write the other side off 100% based on little to no investigation on your own part makes you just as much of an idealogue imho..

Scientific rationalism needs everything to make sense, and be quantifiable and provable with instruments which just don't go deep enough. What came of CERN? Fuck all. They saw a new particle. Did they understand it? No. Guess who knew we were made of millions of vibrating particles millenia ago? The ancient Indians. Its in one of those big books they wrote. But how did they know without any tech? They sat still and shut the fuck up for days on end. We've been so well distracted and misguided to look outward, away from ourselves, look to the sky for your god, your school teacher to learn, the technology gurus to save us from all manner of threats, spending endless money developing technology that for the most part gets used to generate profit at the cost of our lives. So many of the solutions lie inside of us and it's through fucking ooga woogie, intuition and faith that we will figure it out. Trips are a shortcut. Valid and kosher.

P.S. Imagine music without all that superstition and belief in something greater than ourselves? Probably sounds like some German shit with an accordion and clogs :poop:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Totally classic luka move. Endow yourself with the right and ability to psycoanalyse someone else, then when any attempt is made to encourage some introspection on your part, it's "Sorry, you're too stupid for this, go back to your sums, poindexter."

version

Totally classic luka move. Endow yourself with the right and ability to psycoanalyse someone else, then when any attempt is made to encourage some introspection on your part, it's "Sorry, you're too stupid for this, go back to your sums, poindexter."

To be fair, he's been logged out for a while. Maybe he's having a moment of introspection.