droid

Im not passing comment on anything else thats been said over the last few pages, but just to say that Icke is an anti-semitic piece of shit. I saw him peddle his crap in person back in the 90s. As for Jones, I don't think there's a word to describe his kind of exploitative opportunistic bottom sucking scuminess. The fucker even admitted in court that his entire schtick was an act.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
For the record, your honour, please let me make it crystal clear that I brought those two up to make a point, and not to rattle the wasps nest.

Once again, the fact that they, the craziest pair of public conspiracy theorists are now being proven to be right on many of their core and oft repeated points says a lot about our current reality.

I'm not a fan of either.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Does that make me automatically in allegiance with them?

This is exactly why there can be no rational discussion anymore. We've become so binary, so tribalized that people can't even observe something slightly opposed to their own side without being ousted, cancelled or whatever. Utter bullshit and antithetical to the rational image you try to hold up.

It feels to me that the root of conspiracy theorising is emotional trauma. A traumatic event such as grief or betrayal at the individual or group/societal level can cause a radical break in trust with authority which leads to a breakdown in belief systems and a reaction of frenzied patternistic (join dots, make life make sense again) and paternalistic (find new daddy/priest) thinking.

Snake oil salesmen and increasingly politicians are ready to exploit the trauma and feed the monster.

luka

It feels to me that the root of conspiracy theorising is emotional trauma. A traumatic event such as grief or betrayal at the individual or group/societal level can cause a radical break in trust with authority which leads to a breakdown in belief systems and a reaction of frenzied patternistic (join dots, make life make sense again) and paternalistic (find new daddy/priest) thinking.

Snake oil salesmen and increasingly politicians are ready to exploit the trauma and feed the monster.

Trauma is a huge part of the conspiratorial worldview. Trance formation of America by Cathy O' Brian.
This is partly how certain huge public events are understood by them. As deliberately engineered mass traumas to the group psyche. And in the aftermath and shock.... they do things!

kumar

I was just trawling through this thread and was about to mention cathy o brien when I read that post. Understandably lots of people will roll their eyes at this but I was quite shocked seeing her Twitter a few years ago after the trump election. I had the naive impression that someone who experienced decades of trans dimensional sex slavery at the hands of Gerald Ford and friends might be relied upon to doubt the integrity of any future president but she seems pretty committed to the official swamp draining cause. It’s corny to say now but seeing people like her throw their weight behind trump seemed a good metric that everything has changed completely.

luka

Yeah I've talked about how to the best of my knowledge Trump is the first president to have a positive heros role in conspiracy y theory itself. It's very odd and I assume was in part manufactured by his team the alliance with Alex Jones etc

catalog

Oh right, i thought you were into him. Why bother reading it, if not to beleive it? Something else i opened up about the swiss tunnel led me to watch the opening ceremony film. Didn’t finish that either, but it was looking pretty spicy