version

Do you lads enjoy reading Zizek really

The idea of posting a dense multi-paragraph diatribe in response to Zhao nonsense just wrecks my head

Well, it's a quote, isn't it? They didn't actually write the post. Just pasted something. And what he's saying makes sense, although it obviously doesn't need to be that wordy.

version

He's saying Eastern religions are better to suited to dealing with the current iteration of capitalism due to their emphasis on letting go and 'going with the flow' and that that embrace of 'nothingness' can lead to a kind of nihilism where you can do whatever you want and there's no contradiction in being a Zen Fascist, i.e. nothing matters/is real so I can do all the horrible shit I want.

sus

Gus is our greatest Malick disciple because he grew up in hock to Hallmark movies and Christian Science.
I actually have been watching Hallmark films lately... Particularly the "Romance in National Parks" series... There's a lot to learn from them....

other_life

bioconfused
He's saying Eastern religions are better to suited to dealing with the current iteration of capitalism due to their emphasis on letting go and 'going with the flow' and that that embrace of 'nothingness' can lead to a kind of nihilism where you can do whatever you want and there's no contradiction in being a Zen Fascist, i.e. nothing matters/is real so I can do all the horrible shit I want.

he was trivially right but he was still being a goofy

wild greens

I can read a paragraph. If you go to eg vietnam or cambodia they've been bummed relentlessly by the current iteration, the quasi Zizek quote is the usual westerner chatting shite about the illusion of zen but i have never liked reading him anyway

Anyway you have that then the tiny little embedded link about monks setting themselves on fire if you look
I thought that was good

I think nihilism is a but of a myth but whatever

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Do you lads enjoy reading Zizek really

The idea of posting a dense multi-paragraph diatribe in response to Zhao nonsense just wrecks my head
Its weird, as much as I love hearing/seeing him talk, I have no real interest in reading him. Read one article he wrote about Evald Ilyenkov, but thats it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
He's an entertainer as much as anything. Just needs someone there to butt in from time to time because he can really go on forever

version

Its weird, as much as I love hearing/seeing him talk, I have no real interest in reading him. Read one article he wrote about Evald Ilyenkov, but thats it.

I'd rather read him as I find him annoying to listen to and can't be arsed with the performance, but I'm not a fan in general and rarely do either.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
There's a clip of him where they open it up for questions and he raises his hand and asks if they can hear more about what he was just talking about then carries on speaking for ages.

Just watched a recent one with Ash Sarkar today where he ate up all the Q&A time and she was visibly pissed at him.

Have to say, in the very recent vids it feels like he's getting a bit past it. Don't have as much patience for the show anymore either tbh. I mean, he's really getting on so it's to be expected, but it feels like he made his major points long ago and now it's just more of the same. I def think he had some good shit to say in his prime though.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Well, maybe a lot of the recent webinar stuff where he just goes on about covid and whatnot can be tiresome.