Clothes

N

nomadologist

the pictures of marie antoinette on IMDB kind of make me want to see it

Guybrush

Dittohead
tht nicely summed up most of the problems with dressing flamboyantly above, so I won’t dwell on them again.

What I tried to describe above, ‘I think overt trendiness, in general, is a telling sign of inner voidness’, simply was that I think that trendy clothes, nolens volens, have become associated with a certain crowd, renowned for its partiality towards everything hollow. Therefore, to dress like the people in this crowd (i.e. trendy) is to send out unfavourable signals to people prone to generalizations (= everybody but me and my monkey). I am making no assumptions about anyone on this thread—you are all swell—I’m merely stating what I would probably think of you if I saw you on the street.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I think we all agree. mr. brush's points were all address in my original dissertation - the stereotypes that for whatever reason have become instilled in people's minds.

anyhow, enough verbiage for now, time to send this thread into the stratosphere with Noteworthy Outfits number 3 - John Galliano:

00010m.jpg

galliano.jpg

00060m.jpg

00470m.jpg

00390m.jpg

00540m.jpg

more soon... got a deadline in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

it would be really fun to wear that as a costume for an acid trip. the headpiece at least...

i don't make assumptions about people based on the relative trendiness of their clothing. thanks to mass production, everyone's wearing some sort of trend. you're either on the forefront of new trends, or you're wearing an older one. just varying degrees of awareness and aesthetic interest.

bruno

est malade
i mostly wear black, gray, navy blue and dark neutrals (but usually pieces with a lot of *subtle* detail). then ONE piece of jewelry or bright clothing or especially well-made shoes stands out. clothes should always draw attention up to your face, in the end. compliment your skin tone, etc.

i did just get this sweater dress by marc jacobs that i think is pretty cool in lighter neutrals. and i got the mod/military jacket i posted before. i wear leggings a lot, but i have been since 2000. i wear vintage boots, i admit it.
very nice.

and an excelent point regarding the face, it's the first thing i notice (i thought i was alone in this).

i understand the desire to see everyone well dressed but i find the brand name/designer obsession a bit vulgar. surely one can dress well, amazing even, without designer clothes? i've seen people in designer clothes from head to foot that are just completely unremarkable. style isn't something you acquire.

Last edited:

aleksy

What I tried to describe above, ‘I think overt trendiness, in general, is a telling sign of inner voidness’, simply was that I think that trendy clothes, nolens volens, have become associated with a certain crowd, renowned for its partiality towards everything hollow. Therefore, to dress like the people in this crowd (i.e. trendy) is to send out unfavourable signals to people prone to generalizations (= everybody but me and my monkey). I am making no assumptions about anyone on this thread—you are all swell—I’m merely stating what I would probably think of you if I saw you on the street.

Anti-trendy is no less a style than trendy though, right? It's impossible not to make a statement in the way we dress.

N

nomadologist

very nice.

and an excelent point regarding the face, it's the first thing i notice (i thought i was alone in this).

i understand the desire to see everyone well dressed but i find the brand name/designer obsession a bit vulgar. surely one can dress well, amazing even, without designer clothes? i've seen people in designer clothes from head to foot that are just completely unremarkable. style isn't something you acquire.

bruno, you're very right--and even some of my friends who work in fashion find it VERY tacky when someone is a brand whore--but if you had a female body and could only find limited brands that are actually cut to flatter your figure, you'd probably have favorite brands, too. it's extremely hard to mass produce flattering clothing for women, since all women are built so vastly differently. especially with jeans--no two women have exactly the same ass, so when you find jeans that look/feel good you stock up on them. shirts are a little easier, since they're often stretchy or even a small shirt can be squeezed into. even then, i am a few inches taller than "average" so most mall brands, even shirts are just waaay too short on me. i can't wear sweaters from the gap, for example. they look like i shrunk them in the wash, yet they're also too wide. for me, the best fitting brands are: marc jacobs for the asian market in jackets and topshop/british/australian slim jeans brands.

most of my basic clothes (blouses, cardigans, sweaters, leggings, tights, cotton skirts) are from forever21, h&m, american apparel, or wherever i can find reasonably priced, understated mix-and-matchable stuff. which can really be anywhere. the designer stuff i get is always accent pieces. i wouldn't wear head-to-toe of any one brand: it's always a balancing act between neutral basic stuff and detailed, more sophisticated-looking classic pieces bought on a tremendous discount.

the look i do is sort of like a morbid ballerina from the early 60s, proportion-wise. i have lots of "ballet flats", lots of long belted cardigans and leggings, a couple plain cotton/stretch miniskirts, lots of longer shirts with princess sleeves banded at the bottom. i've been into that since i was 19 so it's morphed (used to do a lot of vintage 80s shoes) but i always go back to my bipolar ballerina look.

N

nomadologist

i'm really into the classic headband and belts at the high waist right now, too

N

nomadologist

Here are a bunch of things I own from Forever 21 that cost (on average) no more than $20:

3236894802dq2.jpg

3252645701ac6.jpg

3257328404xm5.jpg

3489683201dq7.jpg

3459613301re4.jpg

3456169001no4.jpg

PS the jacket was $50, but it's adorable and worth it. the first is a dress-length tunic that goes with leggings. i see a bow theme here i never noticed before, heh...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
nomad is a sensible dresser. probably a 7 at the very least. now for the nonsense set --------------

when I look at this stuff I think

d____u____b____s____t____e____p

capt-4.jpg

73120192.jpg
ready to wear

73120336.jpg

or seriously damaged noise pop:

00090m.jpg

00110m.jpg
ready to wear

00170m.jpg

00190m.jpg
ready to wear

00540m.jpg

please do look on previous page for the Post-Collapse-Aztec God-Reincarnated-as-Tribesman-Circa 2074

00080m.jpg
think i'll rock this for tomorrow night's party.... with overcoat (surprisingly cold for LA right now)

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

i used to wear electro crazier clothes, but i'm over that. i'm too old for that shit. hehe.

i like all those, esp the aztec one

why is it so much fun to talk about clothes?

Guybrush

Dittohead
Anti-trendy is no less a style than trendy though, right? It's impossible not to make a statement in the way we dress.

Some clothes send out more signals than others; some clothes send out more unfavourable signals than others. If I described to you a bald, clean-shaven, 25-year old male with a black t-shirt, Levi’s 501’s, and plain black shoes, it would be very hard for you to deduce anything concrete about him, would it not? Yet, you would not describe him as anti-trendy, would you? So, while he surely makes a statement of sorts, it’s one that reveals very little about him.

N

nomadologist

that's not true at all. i know exactly what i'd think of that person.

N

nomadologist

That he is someone who probably has very distinct taste in music, who is very cautious about not joining the "mainstream" semiotically, that he probably has pretty decided political views, probably even informed ones, that he's intelligent and a little serious.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Ok, the example’s gist got lost somewhere in the mid-Atlantic; the male I described was a super-generic Northerner. If you were to encounter him here, his clothes would pass you precious few signals about his person.

Nitpicking is tedious, but I cannot help considering the below statement somewhat contradictory—especially in light of the bottommost one. Preconceived opinions may be harder to avoid than you think.
i don't make assumptions about people based on the relative trendiness of their clothing. thanks to mass production, everyone's wearing some sort of trend. you're either on the forefront of new trends, or you're wearing an older one. just varying degrees of awareness and aesthetic interest.

That he is someone who probably has very distinct taste in music, who is very cautious about not joining the "mainstream" semiotically, that he probably has pretty decided political views, probably even informed ones, that he's intelligent and a little serious.

N

nomadologist

i was presenting a hypothetical example. but there's a HUGE difference between reading someone's outfit semiotically (which we ALL always do), and forming some sort of damning JUDGMENT of someone's character based on clothing. The latter is something i would never do.

N

nomadologist

oh--and i don't think there's anything "wrong" with preconceived opinions. we're called upon to use them all the time. they're a survival mechanism. they help us avoid situations where bad things could happen.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Of course you wouldn’t, and I would argue that few people do, but it is the subtle signals that we have been discussing all along. I think they matter a great deal, by the way: many decisions over the course of a day are based on hasty, haphazard, often superficial, evaluations, even though we all know that beauty’s only skin deep.