Clothes

N

nomadologist

older people i know make damning judgments of character based on clothing

zhao

there are no accidents
"It's only shallow people who do not judge on appearances"
Oscar Wilde.

there are so many levels of script-flipping with Sloane posting this quote, which itself does dazzling cartwheels... my head hurts. (probably more than after I saw the new Herzog trailor)

mms

sometimes
very nice.

and an excelent point regarding the face, it's the first thing i notice (i thought i was alone in this).

i understand the desire to see everyone well dressed but i find the brand name/designer obsession a bit vulgar. surely one can dress well, amazing even, without designer clothes? i've seen people in designer clothes from head to foot that are just completely unremarkable. style isn't something you acquire.

it's weird i'm pale, i'm blonde and very very white with quite dark eyes, ive only just got into darker clothes really, not black but dark tones which really accentuate my paleness, it's almost unavoidably EMO, which really isn't me.:)

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

i know what you mean, mms, it can be hard--i'm intensely white with naturally darker hair. but i think in the end it's best if you embrace your paleness. nothing looks weirder to me than forced "tans." i think it looks good when guys who are pale wear navy blue or dark neutrals that are on the dressier side.

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i think someone wearing a hood,jeans and trainers at my age (early 20s)implies even less, ptretty much everyone i know my age wears that sort of clothing at somepoint...

this is all good stuff. i'm a lazy cunt who lives in cheap jeans, t-shirt and trainers, even though i'm nearly 38, which breaks nearly all mms' rules straight away. but i enjoy observing changes in fashion, and i like looking at what other people are wearing. the return of skinny clothes is interesting. and i'm so pleased that young women are remembering how to dress sexy again.

mms

sometimes
i know what you mean, mms, it can be hard--i'm intensely white with naturally darker hair. but i think in the end it's best if you embrace your paleness. nothing looks weirder to me than forced "tans." i think it looks good when guys who are pale wear navy blue or dark neutrals that are on the dressier side.

well i'd never tan or any of that shit, firstly i don't, and secondly it's a total embarrasment to behave like that.
if you're pale and you dress scruffy you immediatley look like you're ill or a junkie, so you naturally have to dress in nicer gear than a hoody and manky jeans i think:)

zhao

there are no accidents
if you're pale and you dress scruffy you immediatley look like you're ill or a junkie, so you naturally have to dress in nicer gear than a hoody and manky jeans i think:)

i think paleness is very attractive in an alien, otherworldly (goth) way. but a lot of white people aren't really white, more of a pink-ish, salmon hue... in which case I would maybe recommend some kind of sun.

me i was born with a tan. dont know why they call east asians yellow because we're not really yellow... well maybe some are more than others.

wore a Liberty print shirt last night, tiny red flowers on pink, hippie-ish patterns with jet black vest, jet black jeans and gray long coat... people always comment on that shirt.

the textile is a bit similar to this, but the flowers are smaller:

246295828_28cabd9fa5.jpg

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
me i was born with a tan. dont know why they call east asians yellow because we're not really yellow... well maybe some are more than others.

Lol, I'm mixed race asian and don't look it, except when I wear purple and then my skin DOES look yellow, but not in a fantastic aren't I cosmopolitan way, in a kinda ewww he got jaundice typa way....Asian skin tones can get away with wearing great bright colours.

N

nomadologist

I got just enough Italian olive so I can end up looking pretty green/sickly when it's dead in the middle of winter (like it is now) and I haven't seen sunlight in weeks. I sometimes wear "illuminating" makeup over my foundation which has a little bit of a warmer glow to it. Can't even try with bronzer or any of the really tan looking stuff because it would look like orange paint on me.

N

nomadologist

Zhao: I just saw your myspace linked from your blog. 1) Nice suit! 2) You know a girl named Kime?? She's one of my best friend's (lincoln's) good friends. SMALL WORLD.

Those two are REALLY into clothes. Lincoln's sister's shop is pretty nice, if you haven't you should check out Madley in L.A.

mms

sometimes
i think paleness is very attractive in an alien, otherworldly (goth) way. but a lot of white people aren't really white, more of a pink-ish, salmon hue... in which case I would maybe recommend some kind of sun.

wore a Liberty print shirt last night, tiny red flowers on pink, hippie-ish patterns with jet black vest, jet black jeans and gray long coat... people always comment on that shirt.

the textile is a bit similar to this, but the flowers are smaller:

246295828_28cabd9fa5.jpg

thats a nice shirt. i have a white one with small blue flowers. I've always wanted some old fashioned russian style clothing prints, those rich bold prints are amazing.

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao: I just saw your myspace linked from your blog. 1) Nice suit! 2) You know a girl named Kime?? She's one of my best friend's (lincoln's) good friends. SMALL WORLD.

Those two are REALLY into clothes. Lincoln's sister's shop is pretty nice, if you haven't you should check out Madley in L.A.

crazy! did you add me? and you live in... NY? London? Madley... will remember that.

i think someone wearing a hood,jeans and trainers at my age (early 20s)implies even less, ptretty much everyone i know my age wears that sort of clothing at somepoint...

ha! i just bought a black hoody (or bunny-hug) last weekend. simple, fits well, love it. have been wearing it for the past 2 days. :D

N

nomadologist

I'll add you now, didn't want to sneak up on you. I ignore a lot of randoms on myspace.

Has anyone seen the hoodies now that are made of the weird waterproof material? Like a construction worker might wear them, very sturdy, kind of shiny...They're on the tough guy/thug side, but I think they're pretty cool looking. Then there's the bape hoodie, which I have a serious soft spot for...

N

nomadologist

word, lazybones! i just saw this and immediately thought after I read your first sentence that you should check out ebay. everyone in my neighborhood wears the bape hoodies now and i love how flashy they are, the really bright colors and patterns are an interesting mix with the very casual look that's the standard around brooklyn.

shudder

oh my, how did I miss this thread??

Nomad, seeing how you like fashion so much, I can understand why the liberal arts college look must have KILLED you. ha! You went to Vassar or some such, right? The only ppl I know who went there wore mostly loose fitting flannel, although actually one guy sorta pulled off the beat mystic vibe quite well.

As for me, I have a closet full of shite relics that need BURNING (= giving away to goodwill etc). Unlike you tall thin freaks I am just below average height (5' 7.75" <-- yes, those three quarters of an inch are key so shut ya mouf!) and just below average build (well, for north america, I guess I'm getting closer to the slim end all the time through no fault of my own!).

In general, I like my pants to know the shape of my legs decently well (but I'd never have the courage for skin tight, nor would I want to), like my shirts (be they T or real) to more or less show what the top of my body looks like or make it look otherwise cool, and I wear far too many zip-up sweaters, usually unzipped (my fave current with little epaulets which don't look stupid!). Shortcut to looking ok! Of course, since I live in Canada, the winter means layers layers layers or die. That's just how it has to be.

Big pet peeve is how men's shirts are all balloons (as has been noted). What's up w/ dat? Like nomos, Club Monaco is often key in making my upper body look decent (mainly b/c their shirts actually fit).

I was in Paris last summer, and it was surreal going to the department stores and seeing all the haute-ass brands everywhere! Couture scares me, but obvs I can be persuaded by some of Zhao's righteous postings.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I posted this in the youtube thread as well but it's very relevant to this one, and I haven't a clue who it's by so it's not like I'm advertising

Shoes

N

nomadologist

oh my, how did I miss this thread??

Nomad, seeing how you like fashion so much, I can understand why the liberal arts college look must have KILLED you. ha! You went to Vassar or some such, right? The only ppl I know who went there wore mostly loose fitting flannel, although actually one guy sorta pulled off the beat mystic vibe quite well.

Yup, went to Vassar, although luckily because of the new electro-hipster vibe that was out around 2000-2002, people were way into dressing up. Never saw a single college logo sweatshirt. No kids in pajamas in class, although there were the trustafarians with dredlocks and no shoes scattered around...I think the 90s were worse for the grungey liberal arts look...there's the superglam sugarpop thing that happened and saved us from flannel