Clothes

N

nomadologist

most people wearing stuff like the ones in that first link usually find it just as funny as you do...that's why they do it...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Er, in my experience they usually dress like that because they think it makes them look totally, like, uber-kewl.

Funny thing about London is that five years ago there was the whole Hoxton thing, ironic mullets and all that bollocks, but now you see blokes who work in mobile phone shops with that sort of haircut. It's become mainstream to look like a wanker.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Nothing wrong with the clothes. It's the facial expressions that are so irritating. Don't tell me, they want to be punched right?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I spent a whole day once reading the Vice do's and don'ts book...he's got suck an infectious voice, for days afterwards everytime I saw anyone on the street, his voice would pop up with some smart-ass comment. It made travelling on public transport very difficult and very funny. It's definitely one of the best columns in recent memory.

N

nomadologist

Er, in my experience they usually dress like that because they think it makes them look totally, like, uber-kewl.

Funny thing about London is that five years ago there was the whole Hoxton thing, ironic mullets and all that bollocks, but now you see blokes who work in mobile phone shops with that sort of haircut. It's become mainstream to look like a wanker.

Don't know about London, but in NY most of the kids I know who dress really over-the-top do it with tongue firmly planted in cheek, or at least with a sense of humor about it.

N

nomadologist

I spent a whole day once reading the Vice do's and don'ts book...he's got suck an infectious voice, for days afterwards everytime I saw anyone on the street, his voice would pop up with some smart-ass comment. It made travelling on public transport very difficult and very funny. It's definitely one of the best columns in recent memory.

I edited a magazine in college that was all smart-ass takes on "friendster" culture and stuff, in that silly-arch-ridiculous tone and it was really really fun.

PS i would pay to read sloane's pisstakes

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei

Lisping, handle-bar moustachioed paleoconservative Gavin McInnes?

N

nomadologist

McInnes is conservative? am i missing a joke here or something? I'd never have thought so

swears

preppy-kei
McInnes

He wrote an article for Pat Buchanan's American Conservative magazine on how it was becoming cool to be conservative. (The article was online, but I think it's been taken down now.) He claimed it was a joke later, but he's made various comments against immigration, single parent families, critical theory, and "commies" in general. I honestly don't know if he's being serious or not. Vice has the odd interesting article, but generally it feels like it's being obnoxious for the sake of it.

N

nomadologist

He wrote an article for Pat Buchanan's American Conservative magazine on how it was becoming cool to be conservative. (The article was online, but I think it's been taken down now.) He claimed it was a joke later, but he's made various comments against immigration, single parent families, critical theory, and "commies" in general. I honestly don't know if he's being serious or not. Vice has the odd interesting article, but generally it feels like it's being obnoxious for the sake of it.

hmm i'd guess it really was a joke, but who knows? he does seem to be pretty heteronormative underneath it all, in a distasteful way that isn't always hilarious.

Vice is DEFinitely obnoxious for the sake of it

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've read Vice a few times. Sometimes it's quite amusing but I mostly get the impression it's just a nasty 'edgy' hipster rag trying to be cynical about absolutely everything.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nothing wrong with the clothes. It's the facial expressions that are so irritating. Don't tell me, they want to be punched right?

Er, I think there's a LOT wrong with the clothes. Although, as you say, the facial expressions lend it a whole new level of annoyance.

N

nomadologist

i understand getting annoyed by people with that much leisure time, but i've never understood caring what young people wear, or whether it's silly and extravagant. david bowie got to dress crazily. iggy pop did. people now complain that there are no real rockstars anymore, but then if you dare to dress up and have fun with your image, they act like that's heresy, too.