aim high vol.2

C

captain easychord

Pearsall said:
My copy doesn't have sound on the music videos either. :(

i would try using a video game console if i were you. i can only get the sound on the videos on an xbox, :p

and simon silverdollarcircle, that little kid scares the shit out of me. my girl and i spent like ten minutes watching his face in slow motion, shuddering with fear.

S

simon silverdollar

captain easychord said:
i would try using a video game console if i were you. i can only get the sound on the videos on an xbox, :p

and simon silverdollarcircle, that little kid scares the shit out of me. my girl and i spent like ten minutes watching his face in slow motion, shuddering with fear.

yeah he makes yr blood run cold! the stuff nightmares are made of.

on a different note: all the rest of the roll deep entourage seem like lovely blokes don't they? especially breeze and trim. they're funny

Last edited by a moderator:
C

captain easychord

simon silverdollar said:
yeah he makes yr blood run cold! the stuff nightmare's are made of.

on a different note: all the rest of the roll deep entourage seem like lovely blokes don't they? especially reeze and trim. they're funny

lol, yeah that kid is like damien from the omen.

it's true, roll deep seem quite nice. trim is all smiles, which i wouldn't have thought. i pictured him (based on his top merker status) to be a really gruff, kind of bitter dude. i find scratchy really odd for some reason, can't quite put my finger on it.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
captain easychord said:
lol, yeah that kid is like damien from the omen.

it's true, roll deep seem quite nice. trim is all smiles, which i wouldn't have thought. i pictured him (based on his top merker status) to be a really gruff, kind of bitter dude. i find scratchy really odd for some reason, can't quite put my finger on it.

Discarda seems like the kind of guy to smack you for looking at his girl/pint/whatever.

I was surprised at how jovial (phew! aren't I bourgeois?) Essentials were (and how fucking short Jendor is!)

ambrose

the sound thing is pretty common, seems like a bunch of them got fucked up ( like my copy). rhythm division will exchaneg it for a new one i think

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Got Aim High over day, it's indeed an outstanding package- the DVD is excellent, Risky Roadz is much longer but certainly everything on Aim High 2 is damn exciting- 1 Xtra live in Rhythm Division, Essentials doing a posse cut in the street, Roll Deep at work in the studio, loads of artists talking about getting their albums together and stuff. It's all excellent.

The CD is pretty great- the first 4 tracks are a classic bit of Bruza, Riko's Critical ("I don't have a couple of grand, I ain't even got half a grand..."), Dogzilla's Never Ending Story, and Donaeo's Bark which is perhaps one of the best ones on there. Later on Scratchy's great, Lady Cutie's excellent too....

Forgot to ask in Uptown if Logan Sama volume CD 2 had his the streets yet- anyone know?

Woebot

spent a bit more time with this.

stand out tings for me:

the bruza freestyle. sheer genius: "you got a few rhymes, but you're just not ready!" ready delivered in his shouting-down-the-well style of declamation. its almost an in-built doppler effect, as though you were falling away from him in space.

riko's critical, though mainly for doogzy's hard luck stories of rummaging through the ashtray looking for unsmoked ends. been there. riko needs some more rhymes, HOWEVER, however on the DVD doing his freestyle, thats about the best bit of television ever. better TV than those panic episodes of ER when you're recoiling from the brutal drama of hellicopters falling out of the sky. LOVE LOVE LOVE the way he sucks in his cheeks, head askew and gives the full chicken-necked ragga chant. riko, what a fucking dude. i ask you! how cool is this man?

on the subject of the dvd. that is by far and away the best one i've seen. technically-speaking as well (well this sort of thing matters to me, its my job innit) the encoding is super crisp, compare it to the box bloody clever, it just makes them look like a bunch of fucking amateurs. the image quality on that was pure shite. with this you really feel your stepping into the world.

and its the same honed aesthetic that marks the music too. those tunes are beautifully produced. when you enter the studio tour section *really a treat* and get to hear targets exquisitely open-spaced flowing meshes of hollow tympani, padding tom-toms, middle-eastern accordian, forbidden-colours geijin tinkling piano spooling out into the under-lit scantily furnished offices, man its just so evocative. target is a genius, really those squidgy ultra-modern soundscapes you just want them to go on forever, but even on short tunes like....

....roll deeps chillin (another afghani-inflected masterpiece), "taliban" trim makes nuff sense in this context as moniker believe, his production is perfect. so strong!

there is a bit of padding in the middle and the pressure does drop away a bit after wileys be yourself. but its a major landmark this release. massive respekt out to target and the crew (danny weed taking a slightly less prominent position) and a huge nod to logan sama who gets just respekt from target and comes across like a serious geezer, a load more relaxed and cool than his puff-chested radio -persona. big up yourself logan.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
WOEBOT said:
middle-eastern accordian....

Yes that it, spot on, Target's signature sound is middle-eastern accordian!
The one that's grown on me most is Ruff Squad's 'chillin', recently Tynchy's grown alot as an mc (still short physically), and the production on this is very subtle and smooth....it's only spoilt slightly towards the end by Dirty Danger sounding eversolike Dizzee.

Essentials are they best thing on the DVD, they seem the most together crew (I also like their tall, short, fat, slim combination). I don’t mind the lack of professionalism in the production of these DVDs, sometimes the one-take quick editing approach, tells you a lot more and you get more non-intended comedy moments, like watching discarda wandering aimlessly around the back of crazy titch on his freestyle.

Also, (and maybe because I have a half a dozen of these things now) perhaps it’s time to start taking this kind of DVD seriously? –I mean as a product for pushing the scene rather than just spin-off memorabilia. We’ve now got the long tradition of small cottage industries producing records independently, but the DVDs are perhaps now needed because of the void left by the necessary exposure of being on music TV. In other words, maybe the days of independent music in its traditional one-dimensional form – just records - are long gone?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Originally Posted by boomnoise
i've just ordered risky roadz and aim high 2 instead of renewing my wire subscription.

That would look great on 'The 'Wire' letters page

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I think DVD are serious serious items for many reasons. Firstly commercially 12s only sell to a small portion of the market, whereas mixtapes and DVDs appeal to everyone, not just Djs. Also, whereas you might be quite happy to rip off a four minute tune off an artist, 90 minutes of entertainment is more difficult to download and also is substantial enough to make you feel like paying for it. Also, the sense of the moment is much better captured by DVDs than 12s, sadly enough, as so many 12s either don't get released or get released at times other than when they were truly hot. Also, it's just great seeing London as if it were in a movie. Bet people will be seeing it abroad and thinking, wow, that Limehouse area looks a really exciting place to live.

The camera has a way of mythologising, aesthetising places- it gives you distance from the smell, but lets you see the place anew in crisp focus.

jack

might flo dan have half an eye on following harvey so solid into tv presenting? he's funny, loves the camera and has a slightly tongue in cheek OTT 'street'-ness. there's one bit where he is just smug-face posing staring into the camera for about 15 seconds. v v good :D

love the bit where riko takes his glasses off, like he really wants you to believe him. he really preens. my flatmate agreed it was quite camp. fucking wicked

mpc

wasteman
jack have you now got aim high aswell???

hmmm....should i get risky roads...so many questions....

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
my only quibble with this dvd is that occassionally the music they added in during the editing kind of drowns out what people are saying, so you have to strain a bit.

maybe I'm the only person who noticed this.

otherwise it's fucking great. the guy behind it (Troy Miller) also did Practice Hours (by himself as far as I can tell) and seems to be very talented and professional.

luka

my mate said aim high is just another bow fest though. is this true, cos if it is i'm not buying it.

i'm bored of seeing the same old faces

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Ok, so where is the best place to order this stuff from? i want to get Aim High, maybe Risky Roads but i also don't want to wait for another 4 months for vice Australia to put out the Run the Road comp.

Any suggestions?

Clubberlang

I can't believe no one has mentioned how great Riko & God's Gift track "Dead That" is! Also the opening Bruza freestyle over what sounds like a 80's John Carpenter theme. Sooooo goood.