Immryr

tea: i don't know if you just have amazingly sensitive taste buds or if mine are really dull. i find beers like bitter and twisted and deuchars perfect examples of average, insipid ales. which is usually what you end up with when you order a random pint of real ale that you've never tried before.

viktorvaughn

maybe sometimes badly kept pints? makes a massive difference, i think London Pride can range from pretty terrible to really tasty, and a nice Deuchers is delish

matt b

Indexing all opinion
tea: i don't know if you just have amazingly sensitive taste buds or if mine are really dull. i find beers like bitter and twisted and deuchars perfect examples of average, insipid ales. which is usually what you end up with when you order a random pint of real ale that you've never tried before.

Deuchars is lovely when well looked after- citrus fruity. Yum.

Ilkey Breweries production has risen 10 fold over the past year- I certainly see it lots more pubs now. They have also started doing bottles.

We are spoilt, as we can take draft T. Taylors and Ilkley Brewery for granted in most good pubs.

Lots and lots of new micro breweries springing up round here too- quite crazy!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Could be a case of badly kept beers, as VV says, or just different strokes I suppose. What sort of beers do you really go for then? I like pale hoppy bitters/IPAs etc. but I also love stout/porter. The pint of Bitter & Twisted I had a week ago or so was the exact opposite of insipid - it was in a Spoons so high turnover, which means the beer is usually pretty fresh.

And yeah, London Pride is probably the most variable beer for quality - get a good pint of that and it's a totally different beer from that rather sad token 'real ale' you find in a lot of pubs that aren't really ale pubs.

Immryr

i like lots of types of beer. if i was gonna drink an ipa i'd prefere to have an american style one like odell's ipa, or a summer wine brewery diablo.

i was being slightly over the top saying deuchars was insipid, it's alright, just nothing to get excited about really.

London Ale & Deuchars are nice on tap, not many cities can claim to have local beers that are (relatively) widely available and are actually nice- count yourself lucky that your towns reputation isn't pissed on by the likes of Newkie Brown or Boddingtons. Having said that London Ale & Deuchars are revolting in bottles. But then bottled bitter is often a disappointment- flat & watery or spoiled with sediment.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Had my first pint of Bavaria tonight, the most popular pilsner round here. Brewed in Holland, named after part of southern Germany, go figure. Christ, E5+ a pint and to be honest I'd have preferred Fosters.

Just goes to show that even 'good beer' countries produce utter pish as well...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Beer festival at The Maypole - Cambridge's most recently awesome pub - last night.

Among other things, had some of this:

Green+Jack+Baltic+Trader+Export+Stout.JPG

Shared a half with Alison - I think any more would have been excessive. It's amazing stuff, sort of like sloe gin diluted with engine oil.

Had my first pint of Bavaria tonight, the most popular pilsner round here. Brewed in Holland, named after part of southern Germany, go figure. Christ, E5+ a pint and to be honest I'd have preferred Fosters.

Just goes to show that even 'good beer' countries produce utter pish as well...

That's available in the main off license chain round here, think it's the cheapest tin in the shop so take that as an indicator of quality

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Makes you wonder why tasteless pish gets dragged for hundreds of miles to be sold in foreign countries that are perfectly capable of brewing their own tasteless pish...

I had a Duvel afterwards so everything was OK in the end. :)

Last edited:
What with a Belgian beer being named after a German province I just assumed it was made especially for the Irish market. I mean, why go to the trouble of importing anything that is lackluster. There must be dozens of mass produced but high quality weissbeers in Germany, but the only three brands that get imported over here in significant numbers are shit.

There's a beer they have in Tesco called Belgian Abbey beer, comes in a wine bottle with a champagne cork. It's the closest thing I have got to finding a decent thick hard wheat beer.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nah, they love it over here (Holland btw, not Belgium, though I'm in the south, not far from Belgium). Grolsch and Heineken, too - having said that there are several varieties of Grolsch at least, bocks and so on, that are a bit more interesting than their regular lager.

It's not unique to beer, I mean obviously France produces amazing wines but it also produces dire cooking wine that no UK supermarket would ever sell and that someone like me, who can happily quaff a £5 bottle of Aussie plonk at a party or whatever, would spit out. And people buy it in massive quantities.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
Beer festival at The Maypole - Cambridge's most recently awesome pub - last night.

Among other things, had some of this:

Green+Jack+Baltic+Trader+Export+Stout.JPG

Shared a half with Alison - I think any more would have been excessive. It's amazing stuff, sort of like sloe gin diluted with engine oil.

the maypole has always been pretty awesome hasn't it? it certainly was a place we'd search out during my student days (mid last decade)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
the maypole has always been pretty awesome hasn't it? it certainly was a place we'd search out during my student days (mid last decade)

It was always pretty good - we'd go there for cheap cocktails and decent beer. But the family that run it bought it out from Punch Taverns a couple of years ago and they've really stepped it up as far as the beer goes and started getting loads of stuff from local micros.