Ongoing 2007 Electronic releases

mms

sometimes
i haven't been able to find it for a while, most online stores that still list it have it as out of stock. any suggestions on where i could track down a copy?

it was really limited - a japanese release that came over here at great cost.
i guess ebay is the place now...

Commander Keen

Does Pantha du Prince remind anyone else of some Gescom material?

I still don't like Pantha as much as many others seem to do. There are a few spectacular stand-outs, Walden 2 and Steiner Im Flug, especially, but it seems like a bit too much unresolved tension. What do you guys think?

Leo

really feeling things on the community library label out of portland, oregon...the cds by reanimator and project perfect are sort of crude electronics a la early sahko, some with a groove but most of it more experimental. and DJ C has a nice grimey dancehall vibe on his single with Zulu. not dance /club music per se (except maybe for the DJ C), but some of the more interesting electronic stuff of late.

mms

sometimes
Does Pantha du Prince remind anyone else of some Gescom material?

I still don't like Pantha as much as many others seem to do. There are a few spectacular stand-outs, Walden 2 and Steiner Im Flug, especially, but it seems like a bit too much unresolved tension. What do you guys think?

i was listening to it this morning and i love it, i like the little bits of mechanical steve reich type sounds that come in several songs, and the basslines are big!

the label i really like at the moment is dekorder http://www.dekorder.com/

very good adventurous stuff

tox

Factory Girl
yes as an album i think its one of the best things he's done
- rather fantastic.

Good album innit?

Managed to catch the live show in Fukuoka when I was out there too.

I vaguely remember posting this before, but it's worth having a look at the stuff he writes about the Contact project on his blog.

DJ PIMP

steve poindexter - computer madness - mark almaria and mc flipside remix
doubt it would nail me to the floor on the old school / new school fusion buzz as much as blake baxter and marc romboy's "the club", but its another addition to my tiny collection of new hip house, so hi-fives all round. if someone like leger or delicious were to remix this remix it would be chaos...

djs delicious and errik - we won't stop
dunno why it took me so long to come around to this one; fun tune, and i certainly agree with the sentiment. the less groovy but more mental minimal remix by tube and berger is also good.

bushy - ping - serge santiago dub
bit of a rollin' low key freaker from last year. nice.

joel mull - frequent
sold on the section in the middle with the wide-screen chordy chimes (SAW 1?)... at least when contrast with the tidy electro riff. gorgeous stuff.

alexander maier - road of injury / made in nebraska
a couple more of those electroey styled trancers that I enjoyed so much last year.

sweno n - black sun feat. nik felice
favoured the original and swen weber mixes on this one. monoroom's minimal mix was also good. don't know about the guys voice, works ok enough i spose. like the song because it reminds me a bit of dot allison's line from 'substance', i.e. "we're blinded by the darkest ray of light". e.g. "i feel the black rays burning my skin, trying to burn off all of my sins".

nino anthony - dancefloor - peak hour mix
some of his other tracks have been pretty good, but nino muthafuckin' anthony fully rivets my attention with this tuff, cold techy robot-body-brain-fuck-funk track, based around a rugged warpy bass riff and fem android vocal stabs, with a Very Decent minute long breakdown/build. bring on the remixes!!!!
p.s. if you can't feel some of the tough electro ACID house thats going around, like this track, its time to have your techno license officially revoked and start spending your evenings down the bingo hall.

hook n sling & kid kenobi - the bump - tonite only remix
only the fruitiest slice of new wiggy space disco...

massimo moccia - you're rude
great bitter robot-noir disco-diss-track of jilted obsessive love. scratched sample at the start "let everyone know they're being recorded live"... couples the sentiment with surveillance paranoia and ADDD (attention desire-deficit disorder). the internal male dialogue and external male gaze in one track, go massimo! love the lines...

"i just wanna be right for you, well you just wanna be right
i've got plenty of pictures of you i pin up for every night"

--

after having such a great 2006 musically, i was feeling a bit cagey during january, but the past couple of weeks have really been quite reassuring. i like where things are going, a lot.

Last edited:
Romboy with Chelonis - "Helen Cornell" (Stefan Goldmann macro version)
Ultra-classy Prince-ish minimal deep house, dry, icy, yet "soulful" (sorry). The original's very nice but a bit more traditional. Could be huge.

Andre Kraml - "Dirty Fingernails" (remixes by Dirk Leyers and Kiki & Silversurfer)
Feelgood and luxurious deephouse from Kiki & Silversurfer, and a great and tragic version by Dirk. Amazing.

V/A - "Death Is Nothing To Fear 1"
New mindblowing Audion tune, better than Mouth to Mouth I think. But the gem is a crystal and plexiglass house track by Bodycode, of Portable fame.

Kaliber - Kaliber 10
TUUUUNE! Or tunes, cos the three of them are great, one standard loopy heavy electrohouse stuff reminiscent of the Dahlback remix of Panash, another one with marvellous a shoegazey/holdenesque ending, and a third one just classic smagghey material with attitude.

leamas

new andy stott on modern love is excellent - handle with care/see in me

also looking forward to the new gosub album, new tracks up on his myspace

must say i'm generally dissapointed by matthew dear's stuff over the last year. loved his leave luck to heaven album a few years back, but a lot of last year's output, including the fabric mix, i found annoyingly clicky and dry. am i the only one?

anyway his first tune, to my knowledge, uses the same sample as that fedde le grande 'hands up for detroit' number. interesting/useless fact admittedly.

elgato

I just dont know
must say i'm generally dissapointed by matthew dear's stuff over the last year. loved his leave luck to heaven album a few years back, but a lot of last year's output, including the fabric mix, i found annoyingly clicky and dry. am i the only one?

cant say i agree :/ i rate mouth 2 mouth very very highly

what are people saying about Kalabrese? brought to my attention by philip sherbourne, im inclined to mirror his enthusiasm and excitement... cant wait to own these records. first listen i wasnt convinced, but the more i hear it the better it gets. clips here. Not The Same Shoes sounds like it'd destroy some dancefloor (to hear where it goes after the above clip, http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF253909-01-01-01.mp3)

mms

sometimes

what are people saying about Kalabrese? brought to my attention by philip sherbourne, im inclined to mirror his enthusiasm and excitement... cant wait to own these records. first listen i wasnt convinced, but the more i hear it the better it gets. clips here. Not The Same Shoes sounds like it'd destroy some dancefloor (to hear where it goes after the above clip, http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF253909-01-01-01.mp3)

kalabrese was ok, i was just kinda waiting for something to happen in the tracks, the stuff i really liked kinda recently on the minimal tip was cesare and disrorder, good shit.
i'm digging stuff like todd terje at the moment personally.

elgato

I just dont know
thats interesting about kalabrese. they seem to me to be quite fluid, quite a lot of subtle development through the tracks, definately didnt find myself bored (not to say i dont understand how someone could be bored by them)

some todd terje stuff ive heard has been off the scale, but others seem just a bit re-edit by numbers. when he's good he sounds like nothing i know though. i feel to get into the whole disco thing but i find it pretty hard to penetrate, and the most visible names just dont seem to do it for me a lot of the time... the Lindstroms and Prins Thomases etc. maybe i just havent given them enough time

do you have any recommendations? any would be greatly appreciated. especially the dubbier side of it (Mudd and the like), i saw an amazing set of dubby disco at the back end of nye, i'd love to know more

Last edited:

leamas

right, mouth to mouth is the tune in question. i've heard it on big systems and it's a crowd pleaser for sure. I suppose that 'clicky and dry' wasn't the best criticism to level, but for me it comes in the same bracket of tunes as Jamie Jones - Panic, and various other siren-fuelled ibiza minimal anthems. it's just a bit obvious compared to his earlier output. on the other hand his latest audion stuff is more promising (death is nothing to fear vol. 1).

also recommend Douglas Greed - Girlfriend in a Coma (Freude Am Tanzen) on a house tip.

straight

wings cru
the field album too ableton-y? the singles have been fantastic, some of my favourites of last year. i use ableton every day and have done for years and i havent heard anything that sounds generically ableton, its not like its bathed in the reverb/beat repeat etc that has that sound. ive just got the album so i'll get back to you with real opinions

elgato

I just dont know
right, mouth to mouth is the tune in question. i've heard it on big systems and it's a crowd pleaser for sure. I suppose that 'clicky and dry' wasn't the best criticism to level, but for me it comes in the same bracket of tunes as Jamie Jones - Panic, and various other siren-fuelled ibiza minimal anthems. it's just a bit obvious compared to his earlier output. on the other hand his latest audion stuff is more promising (death is nothing to fear vol. 1).

i dunno, for me there is definately a place for big room crowd pleasers, especially when they're as deep and interesting as that. i cant claim a great wealth of knowledge in techno and house so it may be that really its quite an obvious track, but to me it seems quite incredible. such economy of elements to create an effect ridiculously disproportionate to its minimalism. a grandeur, which unlike other big ibiza tracks, comes in washes rather than punches, and is sustained over 8 odd minutes. i love his matthew dear material, and his stuff as false and jabberjaw sounds really good too, but to me his audion stuff is just as innovative and exciting, and no more obvious

Guybrush

Dittohead
the field album too ableton-y? the singles have been fantastic, some of my favourites of last year. i use ableton every day and have done for years and i havent heard anything that sounds generically ableton, its not like its bathed in the reverb/beat repeat etc that has that sound. ive just got the album so i'll get back to you with real opinions

The Field album is great: mostly old songs, but it works really well as a whole. I can see why someone would think of their sound as ‘software-synthesiser-y’, but in their case it doesn’t nettle me at all.

DJ PIMP

Re Mouth to Mouth... helluva tune. I wouldn't describe it as a crowd pleaser, although I'm sure it does that; it's more an absolute dancefloor melter. On the right dancefloor you could start a white out with the minutes of the track where the kick drops away.

I've no idea what Matthew Dear is on, but it's as though the track is specifically designed for that purpose.

DJ PIMP

new ordinament - ep vol 2 - souvenirs d'enfance
quality italo 4 tracker

oliver koletzki - music from the heart
sublime

claude vonstroke - the whistler - worthy remix
electro-housed out mix with the originals spaciousness

straight

wings cru
update; the field album is loooovely, brings a smile to the gob in seconds. and i've warmed to gui barrato's chromophobia too. and Hug-heroes, i've seen some really mixed reviews for these as well . now all i need is it to be 6am in barcelona instead of 10am in manchester. 3 cheers for kompakt!

DJ PIMP

the tim deluxe remix of 'moss' by gusgus is lush.

have to stop posting about bodzin at some point, but bedford/daytona beach; more classic brooding tunes. as far as production aesthetics go, hes up there with rhythm & sound for me now in the valhalla of musical sound engineering artistry. should have realised it when i first heard 'pleasure seeker', but sometimes these things have to creep up on you.

bedford is a stunner, so dark and lovely. zartbitter.