Ongoing 2007 Electronic releases

neupunk

I'm looking forward to the album by The Field as well. Anyone else hear the live set that's been floating around -- maybe I downloaded it from a link here, I can't remember. He works so much mileage out of short loops.

The Junior Boys remix EP that's due out sounds great, and apparently Matthew Dear finally has another full length out in June. There are probably a couple others I've forgotten...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Anyone got any recommendations of messy stuff?

I keep coming back to that James Holden 2CD mix from last year, makes a great soundtrack for stumbling about Tokyo... things like Holden's mix of Black Strobe are amazing. Growly rrrow rrrow bass a la Doom's Night, Vex, etc. with the techno shuffle and blips and bloops and heaps of shifting texture and adjective adjective adjective.

Any ideas of something like that would be interesting.

Leo

been enjoying gui boratto's "chronophobia," just realized he issued a cd in 2003 or 2004 called "royal house" (discogs doesn't list it but found it here: ).

had no idea, thought the new one was his first cd...anyone ever hear "royal house"? i saw it described as "french house with brazilian touches."

Leo

and this probably doesn't count as electronica per se, but i really like the new ror-shak cd "deep." it's really commercial sounding, the type of thing i usually can't stand but there are some solid tracks (includes the cover of the cure's "a forest" that came out on 12" a couple of years back.)

db has the history with dnb, now he's put it in a slick direction with vocals. not earth-shattering by any means but nice as late-night dinner music with the misses.

Commander Keen

The Gui actually grew on me a little bit ('Terminal' is undeniable if you ask me)
Beautiful Life is sort of LOL-worthy, though.

Moving on, this Shawn Rudiman w/ Arne Weinberg is good and i'm sorting through the Dan Deacon album and while it may be a bit frenetic for what I want right now it's certainly interesting

DJ PIMP

So on the Mouth to Mouth remix single, the Mund zu Munde track is pretty nice... cunningly sliding down where the original fizzled up.

mms

sometimes
liking the audion and holden remixes of kieran hebden and steve reid, and black dog - virtual is rereleased.
quite liking the tenebre reedit by justice as well...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Listening to this album by The Field and am thinking it's trash. It's so Ableton-y that it's hard to listen to.
Heard the first track off this the other day and it was really blatant (to my ears) cut ups of Kate Bush's Under Ice with a 100% generic techno beat. So boring.

DarkRecovery

the technique used in the field work is embarrasingly amateurish and offensive really. sounds like its just repeating a 1/2 held grain beat, crappily at that. its either that or just beat repeat at 1/2. i guess this would be okay if he used it sparingly but when your entire song is built off of it, it's bad news and doesnt sound very good. boring and lazy.

DJ PIMP

feelin nikola golas "night in jazz"...

up there with art of tones "praise" for nouveau elegance.

also the sebastien leger remix of the funk monkeys "remember the times"... whatta lovely slice of sleaze...

"remember the times we used to hang out all fucking night
and i used to fuck you... every fucking night"

michael

Bring out the vacuum
the technique used in the field work is embarrasingly amateurish and offensive really. sounds like its just repeating a 1/2 held grain beat, crappily at that. its either that or just beat repeat at 1/2. i guess this would be okay if he used it sparingly but when your entire song is built off of it, it's bad news and doesnt sound very good. boring and lazy.
Dunno anything much about Ableton, but you don't need any fancy bit of software to make music like The Field - would be easy to do on an Akai S-950 back in the day, or an MPC or whatever else.

I like a lot of really simple music... I think generally that's a good thing in dance music... I just don't like the sound of this stuff.

mms

sometimes

but do you like how it sounds ?

DarkRecovery

but do you like how it sounds ?

no.

part of the problem i have with the material (although not the only problem), is that its technique hinders the output itself. and this is not at all surprising and shouldnt be; output derives from the technique used to create it.

i could of course, ignore the former part of it and just care about the latter portion. sort of 'appreciating it's context and ignoring its process'. but when the former is the only thing i can think of when i am listening to the latter, then it becomes a problem i can't ignore. and the field release displays this in spades, regardless of its simplicity (which as said by michael, is a better trait in dance music, i think).

it's like having a good meal that doesnt need ketchup, and slathering it with ketchup. it might not make it 'bad', but you have a feeling it would be better if you eased up on the ketchup.

some people like ketchup though i suppose. and some people just want to eat.

straight

wings cru
what i like about the field is the economy of sounds, everythings kept simple but at the same time it has a very human aspect. i dont think there is anything wrong with having a definite sound. and i think the world has gotten beyond complaining about sampling. i was astounded when i first heard over the ice just by the level of emotion in such a simple track

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Just FWIW I've been sampling other people's shit for years, so I wasn't meaning to come across like I was criticising the approach. Just didn't like the result whatsoever.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
What is this Field album? I don't see it on discogs. I really liked his track on Pop Ambient 2007. Loved the simplicity and repetition of it and yet so much emotion. Why didn't I think of something like that?

Guybrush

Dittohead
Those of you criticizing the Field album for being amateurish are missing the point, I think. It is an exercise in restraint, in minimalism, in realizing an idea (cut-up loops of semi-famous ‘atmospheric’ tracks) from different angles over the course of an album. Sure, it could have been made on an old Akai sampler, but then a lot of great music was. I don’t see the usefulness of making that comparison.