The Wire, Arrested Development - Prototypes of a new type of telly?

polystyle

Treme

Treme rocked pretty well;
post - Katrina NO, street marching jazz "Funk things up, ready to funk things up",
musicians playing any gig they can get.
A little weed smoking, many "Fuck this" and "Fuck that's" .
British interviewer gets his mic thrown in the canal by John Goodman for calling NO music '...a little past it's peak", "it's food ... provincial , fattening , like all American food".
A black cat is running across the street.
BBQ still possible in a backyard.
Elvis Costello ( a rather large presence on US TV these days ) appears in a club scene.
A funeral march files by one of those elevated graveyards out of respect for "that big muthafucka with the bad eye".
Indian man comes back to NO to clean out his moldy bar, unpacks and puts on his feathered suit to call out on the street ...

Last edited by a moderator:

zhao

there are no accidents
Treme rocked pretty well;
post - Katrina NO, street marching jazz "Funk things up, ready to funk things up",
musicians playing any gig they can get.
A little weed smoking, many "Fuck this" and "Fuck that's" .
British interviewer gets his mic thrown in the canal by John Goodman for calling NO music '...a little past it's peak", "it's food ... provincial , fattening , like all American food".
A black cat is running across the street.
BBQ still possible in a backyard.
Elvis Costello ( a rather large presence on US TV these days ) appears in a club scene.
A funeral march files by one of those elevated graveyards out of respect for "that big muthafucka with the bad eye".
Indian man comes back to NO to clean out his moldy bar, unpacks and puts on his feathered suit to call out on the street ...

outline of a pilot you are working on? sounds like a series between "reality tv" and drama, the kind some have talked about a bit in this thread. i can see a network picking this up as a kind of real but sardonic, hip but self critical episodic take on NYC.

craner

Beast of Burden
I really like this Wallander thing - I mean, the Swedish one, not the one with Brannagh in, obviosuly.

polystyle

outline of a pilot you are working on? sounds like a series between "reality tv" and drama, the kind some have talked about a bit in this thread. i can see a network picking this up as a kind of real but sardonic, hip but self critical episodic take on NYC.

Not moi - "Treme" is the new series by director of "The Wire" that had it's debut on HBO last night .
:cool:

craner

Beast of Burden
I just started to enjoy Ashes to Ashes but I haven't got a clue what's going on -- it makes absolutely no sense. And it's about to end. However, I do like Keeley Hawes and her 1982 wardrobe.

D

droid

Just got the last episode of Mad Men season 4. Still brilliant. I actually seem to want to know what happens...

Not looking forward to another 8 months wait for the next lot though.

Any news on a second season of treme?

craner

Beast of Burden
I've gone off Mad Men and I can't quite say why -- I've just grown vaguely bored by the characters and storylines, and drifted off (or have we drifted apart?). The only way the show now progresses is through historical allusion and cultural shifts -- but these are becoming ham-fisted (vis a vis Peggy's new boho scene, for example). The human drama seems otherwise stagnant. And yet -- what with its now unquestionable commercial success, I also feel quite proud and paternal.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Going back to the title of this thread, I've been working my way through Arrested Development recently, and it really is great. Not constantly laugh out loud funny perhaps, but the characterisation is so good. Plus Gob and Tobias are genius comic creations :D

Haven't seen Mad Men, but (obvious reference point alert) Christina Hendricks' voice is disappointingly irritating. On that note, i heard Britney speak for the first time ever the other day (dont' ask me how I avoided that one), and her accent is supercool...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not so sure...she sounds a bit mental. Very good look, though.

i think Rachel Griffiths doing an American accent has an increidbly sexy voice. Too bad it's not her real accent.

This is the draft script for series 1 of the Wire. It's got an interesting few pages at the start setting the scene for the show. I'm guessing this was David Simon's attempt to get HBO to commission a new show after The Corner.

outraygeous

I watched Bored To Death recently season 1 and 2

its meant to be a comedy but its not laugh out loud. Ted Danson is excellent and Zach Galifianakis should of had a larger role in it but if it comes on telly you should catch it and see.

Its weird for a series as well as the episodes don't really roll into each other.

alex

Do not read this.
okay I need to stop reading this thread because I've just found out 2 things I didn't want to know, as I am a latecomer to the wire and am only up to the second episode in series 2.

The first series is astoundingly good, probably the best thing I have ever watched. I don't think I have ever been sucked in by a programme like this, I feel like I know all of the characters personally, but at the same time, not atall.

Cannot wait to see what the next season has got in store!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm just starting Season 3 of Breaking Bad and at this point I can say with confidence that it's better than Mad Men.

gumdrops

i dont know what box set to choose but i just watched the corner from hbo and that was pretty amazing (if sad). watching the shadow line which is the new 'slow viewing' series on bbc 1 and altho im not sure wtfs going on exactly i quite like that, even if it is a bit too obv arty/style-based, and im not sure about some of the casting. only on ep one though.