FairiesWearBoots

Fair enough but I dont think there is any real masterplan to Planet Mu, I think Mike P just puts out what he likes, sometimes it hits the mark and other times it doesnt

Dusty

Tone deaf
I can't think of another UK label releasing such a varied, high quality output in electronic music as Planet Mu at the moment. With the emphasis on varied. I think some people here try and read too much into Mike P's intentions.

"I'm a middle class white kid from Guildford, if I used ragga samples in dead earnest everyone would think I was pretending to be something I'm not"

I think this is pretty much bang on.

mms

sometimes
it's a fine line which can only be drawn according to specific context.

parasitism i would say is disingenuous jumping of someone else's train, not absorbing the influence and making it your own (what Eno meant with "genius steals").

whether Planet Mu falls into this or not has to be, at this point in time, largely decided subjectively, because we don't have enough distance to have a more broad and balanced perspective on the music.

but i can assuredly say for myself: thank you but no thank you. (to current as well as past output). because the entire label aesthetic is just entirely unappealing to me.

the label puts out records by dubstep artists and supports dubstep artists and it puts out loads of other stuff, weird electronic indie, breakcoreish stuff, comps by the numm masters, it's not subjective it's a fact.
the other point that you don't like it is up to you. :)

zhao

there are no accidents
edit... enough negativity. i'll try to think of something positive to say about dubstep. give me a minute.

Last edited:

ether

It's interesting to look browsing through the mu catalog on discogs, they havent really been a label with a house 'sound' but I often associate them with cringey rave pastiche and irritating IDM tantrum music.
They seemed preety on it around (2005-07) when they put out some excellent dubstep 12's some of the first releases by pinch, vex'd, benga, distance etc. but they seemed to loose their way over the next couple of years, but Since Jamie's in system travel e.p starkey album and the arrival of wonky they seem alot more on the money.
In contrast to alot of dancemusic labels it seems they've done alot to nurture artists on their label and actually produced some decent dance music 'albums'.

alex

Do not read this.
Is everyone forgetting that Barry Lynn's EP's are on Mu, they are probably the best dubstep albums I have heard.

alex

Do not read this.
must be just a differnce of opinion, i really enjoyed boxcutter's albums.

Distance's I wasnt too keen over.

CrowleyHead

I was always under the impression that Vex'd was basically IDM-style grime that got mislabeled as Dubstep.

Boxcutter... I'm sorta 'eh' about.

hopper

Yeah, I've never really been able to get into Boxcutter. Seems to fly all over the place without really getting onto anything with a decent groove or melody. He's made one or two tunes I rate like windfall for example. I think a lot of mu artists suffer this same problem - it's all computer trickery and impressive sound effects without really any soul or purpose.

Interesting to see people slag off degenerate. I don't like to listen to it through as a whole album, but at it's best there were moments of absolute genius that completely flaw me - like that synthline which rolls in about 5.09 minutes through thunder. I think they had a really nice place in dubstep a few years ago. As nobody was really producing in that level of detail, or quite captured the same macabre sound really.

Have they split up as a duo? Been feeling some of the Jamie Vex'd solo tunes - radiant industry especially. Unfortunately, I've not really been able to get into his scuba mix - feel like I'm missing out on something that everyone else around me is hearing.

Ory

warp drive
the clinical/tech style of degenerate works because every sound has a purpose. whereas in a lot of recent aggro-dubstep the idea seems to be to stack as many "big" sounds on top of each other as possible..

boxcutter never really did it for me. all those flangey noises.. eugh. "foxy" was alrite though.

4NR

Demdike Stare- Symbiosis for (beatless) album of the year. Really wish they had given us stronger kicks in at least a few tunes. Hoping that someone will remix "Regressor" (which already sounds great)?

--->http://www.normanrecords.com/records/109631

last track is a burial reference, I can only assume-- and actually, that makes a lot of sense, when you consider how much beatless space was on the last Burial LP, but I think it's not surprising given what I've already written that I preferred "Untrue" to "Burial".

Still, bravo!