alex

Do not read this.
Ah okay, cant believe I never listened to that.

I dont know why I always have a tendancy to overlook MAH and anything to do with radio 1, unless it's like basically unmissable? It must be some sub-concious thing, some psycho defect or some shit.

I still clearly remember the day I checked the 2nd Album preview (Burial), took the wednesday off, and didnt listen to it live on the tuesday. Had to listen through the TV recording though, as the listen back isnt ready for a week.

BareBones

wheezy
i never really listen to mah either unless there's something i especially want to check out, eg that joy orbison mix a couple of weeks ago.

gumdrops

if MAH is still referring to everyone as 'this boy' in that breathy orgasmic voice of hers, i think im ok with not having tuned in for ages...

hopper

Well, we already know he got that from Todd Edwards, right? He openly admitted it.

First time I really heard Todd Edwards, I stopped in my tracks and had to sit down, rewind the set I was listening to, hear those chopped vocals, and my jaw dropped.

He's just more about losing faith than flourishing it.

had no idea... only ever heard the as I am remix by Todd Edwards... where should I grab a mix from?

Alex - it's worth checking out the MAH show from time to time, she gets some amazing mixes and dubs occasionally and the sound quality is always amazing. Grab the latest one with the Shackleton mix - it's completely jawdropping. Also a nice flying lotus dub on there too

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
don't get me wrong, i really like the shack. he's like one of my fave d'step producers (maybe even #1) but was anyone else a little bit underwhelmed by the mix on mah?

*hides*

hopper

don't get me wrong, i really like the shack. he's like one of my fave d'step producers (maybe even #1) but was anyone else a little bit underwhelmed by the mix on mah?

*hides*

ha, I couldn't think the opposite anymore. his mary anne hobbs mix and live sets I've seen have been my favourite things I've heard over the last few years by quite some distance. on a different planet

CrowleyHead

if MAH is still referring to everyone as 'this boy' in that breathy orgasmic voice of hers, i think im ok with not having tuned in for ages...

THIS.

Admittedly, I got into most of this music via MAH's Warrior Dubz comp ("Give It To Him" still cripples me.); but nowadays it seems like most of her stuff she hypes out is redundant.

I mean, I'm sorry, but... Blue Daisy... really?

hopper

do you rate it higher than his skull disco stuff?

for sure. sometimes I thought the skull disco stuff sounded a bit rigid and kinda dull at times, although it did love pretty much all of it. his new stuff takes it up a few notches in atmosphere and changeups which his old stuff didn't have quite so much. I think his stuff works really well during the live sets especially - there's never a dull or predictable second because he's doing live sequencing. Honestly it just completely entrances everyone, the set at fwd last year is probably the single greatest thing I've ever heard

computer_rock

Honestly it just completely entrances everyone, the set at fwd last year is probably the single greatest thing I've ever heard

definitely an unforgettable night that one.

I love shackleton's newer stuff but a part of me wants to hear him return (if only momentarily) to the sheer brutality of some of his more dubstep sounding tunes, ie 'naked'.

benjybars

village elder.
yep. Naked is the one.

I'd forgotten about that tune till Oneman dropped it in a recent set... i assumed it was Loefah at first.. tune is MILITANT!!

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Honestly it just completely entrances everyone, the set at fwd last year is probably the single greatest thing I've ever heard

definitely an unforgettable night that one.

argh that hurts, was this him playing his older stuff? really regret never making it to see him when i was in london. the few sets i have from him are realy really heavy.

sometimes I thought the skull disco stuff sounded a bit rigid and kinda dull at times, although it did love pretty much all of it.

i agree that it was rigid and quite right, some of the tunes were a bit dull, but when he got it right… ah. also, in the right context (live for eg) monotony works. sometimes one loop sounds so good i want to wander around in it for a while.

a part of me wants to hear him return (if only momentarily) to the sheer brutality of some of his more dubstep sounding tunes, ie 'naked'.

yeah basically this. the skull disco concept really struck a chord with me that i haven't felt since i was into jungle. it’s that uplifting/call to arms feeling that i really miss in dance music right now. shackleton really hit that spot for me on quite a few of his releases. i think the skull disco sound could still be further developed and refined without getting tired. in a way it’s really tantalizing to think of where it could be taken to. the new stuff is still interesting and i'd take it over probably 80% of the rest of music that's being made right now in the dubstep and surrounding areas just because it's still genuinely trying new things, but somehow it doesn't feel quite as cohesive a concept to me, yet. i guess i'll just have to see what he will follow it up with.

i realize he has to move forward as an artist and this is just me being a curmudgeon holding on to the good ol' days, but somehow i feel like there was potential for something much higher than was reached and it would be a shame to let something like that slip away.