jimitheexploder

Only dubstep bought recently = Instramental on Applepips. Love both sides, especially the a side. Just try and stop me.

I've been loving 'Leave It All Behind' and I can't help mixing it with the Dub Box Remix of Sylvester's Rock The Box. It gives me those old skool electro vibes. Now I just need a dubstep-related banger to go with Hashim - Al-Naafiysh (The Soul) and I'll be happy.

joe.dfx

who knows...
don't forget heavy as stone.... amazing tune that.

funny thing about the 'new dnb sound' ie. Dbridge and Instra:mental.. when dubstep was creeping westward in 2006 the dnb hedz called it 'slowed down dnb', 'too slow' etc ... and now drum n bass is little else than sped up dubstep.

im pretty sure dbridge & instramental weren't calling it slowed down dnb. i think they've been supporters for a while now.

id also hardly say it's the new dnb sound. there's probably 3-4 labels that are even releasing this stuff and i dont think too many big djs are even playing it.

and the half step dnb thing is nothing new at all...digital and amit have been doing it for a decade.

but back to dubstep...

that Lauren Pritchard Various Productions/Guido remix 10" is pretty damn good.

I got to see the Dub Police Scion tour in Minneapolis a couple nights ago and was pretty impressed. Matty G started off the night with some pretty solid classic selections, kalawanji, jah war remix, 50000 watts, shattered, etc. I was pretty suprised that The Others selection was fairly diverse and not all bangers, D1 was awesome started off with higher and then mixed in that old Benga dub (the one that got release on the 2x12" roots of dubstep ep) then plenty of his own productions, etc (Did not realize what big dude he was!) Caspa closed the night out playing exactly what you would think and I left once it turned to a mosh pit/pushing fight up front. the venue only held 250 and they had to turn away around 150+ ppl...pretty crazy considereing when i was doing shows here 3-4 years ago it was impossible to get mor then 15 ppl to show up : )

joe90

don't forget heavy as stone.... amazing tune that.

funny thing about the 'new dnb sound' ie. Dbridge and Instra:mental.. when dubstep was creeping westward in 2006 the dnb hedz called it 'slowed down dnb', 'too slow' etc ... and now drum n bass is little else than sped up dubstep.

And the whole irony of the situation is that now dubstep sounds like slowed down clownstep/wobbel DNB.

rwtt

And the whole irony of the situation is that now dubstep sounds like slowed down clownstep/wobbel DNB.

a mate gave me a load of "dubstep-influenced D+B" MP3s recently. what i was hoping for and what they turned out to be were very different indeed. i think the two genres have pretty much converged on a dynamicless, jizz-spattered midrange middleground now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
lol @ that benga/joker tune

Loads of that very mainstream dance music that people like annie mac/zane lowe etc. play is seemingly (unsurprisingly) made for the over-compressed signal of digital radio - all mid range fizz, somehow a bit anaemic. I suppose it also appeals to people who are into guitar music because of the distortion/riffage.

Then again a lot of it probably sounds much better on a club system, and I'm not really one to dispute the value of something working in a club above all else.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Loads of that very mainstream dance music that people like annie mac/zane lowe etc. play is seemingly (unsurprisingly) made for the over-compressed signal of digital radio - all mid range fizz, somehow a bit anaemic. I suppose it also appeals to people who are into guitar music because of the distortion/riffage.

I thought the same of Ed Banger style electro house too, although maybe not made for shitty radio signals and laptop speakers, the fact that it didn't suffer much when played through lo-fi equipment certainly didn't hurt its success, which I guess can also be applied to midrange chainsaw stuff too.

I'm not in to that Joker/Benga track, like Wise said it just sounds exactly like the noise that came to define shitty student club D&B, which was what sounded like a trance lead with a 160 breakbeat behind it. Tron is ok, but Joker's move towards that sort of sound palette (which to me is a fairly radical departure from the kind of digital P funk style he utilised in the past) is worrying.

mms

sometimes
Last edited:

gumdrops

god that track is dissapointing. youd think both of them two on a track would be immense, but instead its a crappy riff on tainted love. that other benga track which sounds like wearing my rolex is a bit shit too.

jimitheexploder

That Joker & Benga track and a lot of the hype wobble in general reminds me of blog-hose/ed banger/electro too.

I can't being doing with that kind of thing coming back to be honest.

grizzleb

I thought the same of Ed Banger style electro house too, although maybe not made for shitty radio signals and laptop speakers, the fact that it didn't suffer much when played through lo-fi equipment certainly didn't hurt its success, which I guess can also be applied to midrange chainsaw stuff too.

I'm not in to that Joker/Benga track, like Wise said it just sounds exactly like the noise that came to define shitty student club D&B, which was what sounded like a trance lead with a 160 breakbeat behind it. Tron is ok, but Joker's move towards that sort of sound palette (which to me is a fairly radical departure from the kind of digital P funk style he utilised in the past) is worrying.
Yeah that Joker/Benga track is seriously shite, which surprises me as I'd say basically all Jokers productions (even if not outstanding) have been nothing if not listenable and functional. I'm living in hope that the album will have some weirder shit on it and not the by numbers he's been at recently.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
a mate gave me a load of "dubstep-influenced D+B" MP3s recently. what i was hoping for and what they turned out to be were very different indeed. i think the two genres have pretty much converged on a dynamicless, jizz-spattered midrange middleground now.

Did it sound like this perchance:
Apparently it's 'drumstep'. According to Youtube "I heard Rusko was upset when he first heard this but in a good way." which sounds like a hilarious parody of insipid press releases but probably isn't. Still better than that Joker + Benga tune though.