gek-opel

entered apprentice
Fair enough Caspa's actual TUNES don't sound like pubstep, (just sounds like vaguely dull dubstep) but check his myspace-- the imagery is all only fools and horses embedded videos and snapshots of LDN pubs!

And its the pointless cliched cockney aggressiveness which people object to- not the lowbrowness (ie- the gleeful plastic dumbness of Bassline is brilliant).

Last edited:

daddek

People slagging off Caspa and Rusko for being too "pubstep" is exactly the same as intelligent d'n'b fans in 1994 slagging off ragga jungle for being too lowbrow.

To be honest bro, I think it's more similar to the argument against clownstep dnb.

The 90s intelligent dnb / acid jazz crew's (wankers) disdain of ragga jungle is very similar in perspective to the dubstep / broken beat crew's (wankers) disdain of grime, however.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
To be honest bro, I think it's more similar to the argument against clownstep dnb.

The 90s intelligent dnb / acid jazz crew's (wankers) disdain of ragga jungle is very similar in perspective to the dubstep / broken beat crew's (wankers) disdain of grime, however.

Exactly.

fair point and based in

truth but

what the hell is clownstep lol? "I'm late" (c) Kanye

mos dan

fact music
rustie.jpg

as seen on wordthecat.com

RobJC

Check your weapon
Always had Caspa and Rusko at the lightended end of Dubstep - those guys seem to enjoy their stuff, its a bit of a laugh after all, calling your tunes "Big Headed Slags" and "Jeffery and Bungle" - much needed humour in a sea of fanboy wankery - and it shows that getting your name out there and perhaps a few pounds in the bank can lead to something good if they are trying to branch out into something a little more esoteric and supposidly meaningful.

Can get with the people who think dance music on the whole needs a reason - some tunes are pure on the floor bangers, never meant to have any depth associated with them, they aren't genre defining, or have any pretention to be - back in the day they were called Party Tunes - ones you could put on to get everybody on their feet for a bit of a laugh and dance.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
back in the day they were called Party Tunes - ones you could put on to get everybody on their feet for a bit of a laugh and dance.

draw for the raster noton..

I think part of the problem is when 'party tunes' get substituted by 'impact tunes'

I have loads of old jump up which you can still listen to today because they still feel fresh and interesting. Some of them are absolutely stuffed full of great ideas :)

Last edited:

RobJC

Check your weapon
I think part of the problem is when 'party tunes' get substituted by 'impact tunes'
QUOTE]

Quite possibly - moved from lets get everyone up and grooving" to " lets pound you into the floor".

2 different types of DJ ethos - either keep the vibe going, or just play tunes and draw for the big ones every 3 tunes or so - shows who can really mix vs just joining tunes together.

Dare I mention 50000 Watts as a clear example of this, or perhaps Loefah's general output recently, bangers for sure, but you wouldn't want then one after the other.

There's a lot of DJ/Producer cross over in dubstep, possibly to its detriment....

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Quite possibly - moved from lets get everyone up and grooving" to " lets pound you into the floor".
I think people are also down on Party Tunes because it used to be the case that the tunes that got everyone up and moving and the deep tunes pushing the genre forward with off the wall new ideas and stuctures were one and the same, but now at some nights anything a bit risky and different tends to result in people leaving the floor until some more wobble comes on.

Personally, I think if anything worries me (esp wrt the obvious dubstep / dnb parallel), it's not that the scene will at some point split into populist bangers vs more experimental stuff, it's that if it does the experimental faction might go up its own arse and start looking down on things like 'fun' and 'dancing' and 'entertainment' as things associated with the wrong sort of dubstep and consequently get rather boring.

Dare I mention 50000 Watts as a clear example of this, or perhaps Loefah's general output recently, bangers for sure, but you wouldn't want then one after the other.
Actually, I only recently realized how much I love most of Loefah's stuff - it's the way it's pulverizingly physical and minimal but really deep and soulful (in an inhuman sort of way) at the same time. Alternate that with a lot of Mala tunes that are bouncy and funky but really deep and soulful (in a joyfully human sort of way ) at the same time and I'll be a happy bunny.

viktorvaughn

Dunno if anyone went to Exodus Leeds but i left a little dissapointed....

Benga - good
Hatch - horrible hard techy stuff
Kode9 - good
Digi Mystikz - good but nothing new doing it for me.

I was a bit tired after a huge Bassline rinse-out the night out, but still...

gumdrops

i dunno how old it is now but matty gs 500000 watts is my shit. crosses more lines than most dubstep i hear with crunk and old school rap (obv with that sample), most likely as hes from the US. has a certain smoothness, or 'phatness' to it.

adruu

This Is It
thats a heavy break, but jeezus i can't listen to basslines like that. same goes for most of that ntype/benga set from last week.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Personally, I think if anything worries me (esp wrt the obvious dubstep / dnb parallel), it's not that the scene will at some point split into populist bangers vs more experimental stuff, it's that if it does the experimental faction might go up its own arse and start looking down on things like 'fun' and 'dancing' and 'entertainment' as things associated with the wrong sort of dubstep and consequently get rather boring.

Thus following the drum and bass parallel to its natural end and thereby marking dubstep's end. It's a headfuck trying to think of a way to pull out of this nose dive.