routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Not to single out RF at all; vague use of purportedly clarificatory metaphor as a substitute for music theory meat is a general problem.

but why bother with music theory meat when you can shovel purportedly clarificatory metaphor and saccharine hyperbole with such enigmatic aplomb?!?!? it's almost as if rouges foam is entering zomby's compositional mindspace, wonkifying his own criticism.... :eek:

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
For instance, RF mentions "Zomby’s method of hypnotically developing musical structure through the systematic expansion and contraction of metres, rhythms and pitch sequences" but there's no fine-grained treatment in the offing. It would be interesting to know precisely what is special about Zomby's use of changes in metres, rhythm, pitch; what *exactly* does the critic think is happening - spelt out in the standard musicological terminology. What does he mean by the 'systematic expansion of pitch sequences' - is this just that the arpeggios are slowed, so he moves from semi-quavers to quavers to crotchets? Does it mean that there is a chord progression motif that recurs, played at different speeds on different 'instruments'. Are sequences extended across a wider range of pitch? What does it mean?

while i enjoy reading RF's analysis of wonky and Zomby's music, i do feel that someone needs to go "ITS AN ARPEGGIATTOR!" in reference to all this "subtle changes of metre and tempo" talk. the other thing zomby does a lot, which i guess is a reference to niche bassline, is to swing the beat for a few bars, putting everything in 6/8 timing. what he does with these techniques is still pretty thrilling though.

wascal

Wild Horses

wobblel.gif

;)

rouge's foam

a deadly secretion
RF accuses Woebot's review of suffering from a "lack of musical detail" but his own analyses don't offer much in that regard.

For instance, RF mentions "Zomby’s method of hypnotically developing musical structure through the systematic expansion and contraction of metres, rhythms and pitch sequences" but there's no fine-grained treatment in the offing. It would be interesting to know precisely what is special about Zomby's use of changes in metres, rhythm, pitch; what *exactly* does the critic think is happening - spelt out in the standard musicological terminology. What does he mean by the 'systematic expansion of pitch sequences' - is this just that the arpeggios are slowed, so he moves from semi-quavers to quavers to crotchets? Does it mean that there is a chord progression motif that recurs, played at different speeds on different 'instruments'. Are sequences extended across a wider range of pitch? What does it mean?

Not to single out RF at all; vague use of purportedly clarificatory metaphor as a substitute for music theory meat is a general problem.

I know it's an arpeggiator! Lots of midi effects being used there, a scaley one too I think. One day I'd love to figure out exactly how they're all working. Didn't want my review to turn into a giant metrical-paradigmatic analysis of the whole thing tho, didn't have the time and I don't think a majority of readers would have the patience. So in answer to mixed biscuits, I was brief for the sake of an accessible review. I went into a bit more detail in loving wonky, and what's going on in Kaliko is quite similar to this new EP.

(By the way I'm all about over-wrought-saccharine-hyperbole-linguistic-self-groping. I added a subtitle to my page, 'excessive aesthetics'. Cos it's not about 'accuracy' of description (and what's that anyway?), it's about promoting thought.)

When I said 'lack of musical detail' I guess I shoulda said 'relative lack of musical detail. Woebot's review reduced Zomby to a 'trademark sound', and given the relative freshness of One Foot's territory, I think it's become clear that Zomby doesn't have a trademark sound.

And that was practically all of the musical detail that was in the review. The greatest shame was that he described 'Godzilla' as an 'untouchable masterpiece' - wow, high praise indeed - but he just doesn't explain why he calls it this. There is very little mention of the particular musical qualities of One Foot in the whole review. I'll grant you that my details were brief and unclear (sorry bout that), but at least they were there.

Instead Woebot devotes a chunky paragraph to telling us all about how ganja makes people infantile. I will type it till my fingers bleed and my keyboard explodes: Zomby's music is much much more than infantile, drug-addled nostalgia.

mos dan

fact music
i know there's a place for this kind of analysis, and i'm sure this probably is the place for it, if anywhere is...

but i just want to say i don't fully know what an arpeggiator is, and i don't care what it is. nor do 95% of people listening to zomby's or anyone else's music. please carry on though, just bear that (completely made-up) statistic in mind.

luka

actually weed is the first thing i think of when i hear zomby. i think its a good point well made. anytime i've had an instrument in my hands stoned i end up sepnding hours just, for exmaple, plucking strings and being enraptured by the sound of sound. the sensation, the ear tickle. micro-listening.

mos dan, i have never and will never listen to anything k-piunk says as regards to music. he doesn't like music, he has nothing to say about music. i just think things have been shit recently. i don't like much new hip-hop or dancehall, the euro-dance motifs and auto-tune don't so it for me. i always hated the corny 'darkness' and heavy-handed reggae pastiche of dubstep, grime stopped being as exciting as it was etc etc.

nomos

Administrator
Zomby's all about synaesthetic textures and subtly timefucking rhythms. I don't see how a standard musicological analysis would be anything but a step back from what's interesting or exciting about his music. It needs new words. Likewise, the psychoanalytic reading brings too much excess baggage to something that's already crammed with strange and fruitful jump-off points. Interesting to read Woebot's take but I suspect the review's detours have more to do with his determined lack of engagement with dubstep.

Still, more theorizing not less, please.

Last edited:

rouge's foam

a deadly secretion
I would love to teach the world what an arpeggiator is. But for the moment I haven't felt that I or the world see it as a pressing concern, given the time, space and inclinations involved.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Embarrassingly, listening to them discretely I liked all three of those. It's like the blues -> metal though isn't it.

luka

wiley was 21 when eskimo come out. joker, rustie, zomby etc are young. the original dubsteppers seemed to bbe about 41. should old people be banned from making dance music? are they too boring?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
wiley was 21 when eskimo come out. joker, rustie, zomby etc are young. the original dubsteppers seemed to bbe about 41. should old people be banned from making dance music? are they too boring?

And so we return back to Simon Reynolds.

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
I haven't been to FWD in a very long time, the last time I went Kode 9 played a really good old school jungle set, anything worth while happening there soon?