Poor rich people

vimothy

yurp
Yes, I'm aware of that. But you tend to be talking about a free market, which I think you've defined as being a market regulating itself without state intervention or coercion.

A "free market" is a heuristic. In reality, pretty much all markets are subject to varying degrees of regulation.

So would you allow for people to bypass this and pay for a private school off their own bat? If you would then you've not really bypassed the problem. If not, then you're saying that state coercion of the free market might actually be a good thing in some cases.

State intervention into the market can be a good thing - it just tends not to be.

And yes, I would allow people to pay for their own schooling, should they want to. It's not really anyone else's business.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Leave what out? I don't care if Prince William's great-great grandfather made a long and arduous journey to wealth, I'm just pointing out that he himself is not of one the most productive people.

And if he's not productive, then he's not productive. If however, he's constantly investing his fortune into business ventures, and in the process creating even more wealth, then he is productive.

So someone who inherits millions of pounds and becomes a slum landlord is a productive member of society? If economic terms judge him so then economic terms are worthless.

"Slum landlord" - obviously economic productivity is not the only value of measure. Anyway, this is hypothetical - it all depends on what you mean by slum. He might be both productive and destructive.

(I remember an anarcho-capitalist once saying, "I'm in favour of capitalism, not capitalists" - makes sense to me).

OK, I strongly believe that and I have seen statistics that bear it out but I haven't got them at my fingertips and I have to rush now but I'll see what I can find tomorrow ok?

Cool

How come you missed out owning houses? Is that productive?
Innvesting money in a bank or elsewhere is benefitting someone but is it necessarily benefitting society?

Don't see why assets shouldn't be productive.
As to who benefits, I think you might be looking at it too broadly. It's benefitting people in society.

vimothy

yurp
Well, it depends. How can you behave in a civilized manner if you don't see the point of it? People don't always act in their best interests.

No, but they act in what they perceive as being their best interests. That's why the welfare state is so huge and expensive.

What are the statistics on family background and adult income? I'd like to know.

Strong correlation - and I'm not claiming otherwise. However, there is no solution that involves wealth re-distribution. Poverty in terms of income is not the problem.

vimothy

yurp
Maybe I have got the wrong name for it - fair enough. My memory seems to be deserting me these days. The idea I was referring to was this, from your original quote:

"Whenever a Bill Gates arises to make his fortune, the income disparity between top and bottom increases--but so does everyone's standard of living. If so, why shouldn't we welcome an inequality--including a widening inequality--in incomes?"

What I disagree with is the unsubstantiated jump from arguing that if Bill Gates and his ilk are contributing to improving everyone's standard of living (which some people would argue with anyway - I'm kind of agnostic here), then inequality should be welcomed as a general concept. Just because SOME people who earn more 'contribute' more to the general standard of living, then this does not justify welcoming economic inequality. There are lots who contribute practically nothing, yet big up big pay cheques month after month.

Ok - let's imagine a world in which Bill Gates has no money:

Are you personally any better off? No, but income disparity has improved. Result! In fact you could take this further, as per Frank McGahon's idea to destroy income inequality altogether: "Simply take all the money off those earning over 60% of the average wage... put it in a big container and set it on fire. Bingo: the "poor" become "rich" without receiving a single extra cent!"

In fact the amount of money in Bill Gates' bank account has little to do with the amount of money in yours. Total global wealth is not a fixed amount. Money going to the pocket's of the rich doesn't come directly from the pockets of the poor. Income inequality is a non-issue. Absolute or chronic poverty is the real issue.

Also, you need to consider the amount of tax contributed by the rich. In America, the top 20 percent of income earners pay 80 percent of total federal income taxes.

Now let's imagine a world in which there is no Bill Gates period:

Are you personally any better off? Obviously not - no one would be. You would actually in all probablity be worse off, because you would not be able to take advantage of all the products and technology that Bill Gates has developed. Certainly all the people currently working for Microsoft would be worse off. The same is true for all those using the technology Gates has developed. Would we even be able to have this debate without Bill Gates?

vimothy

yurp
The most recent study I saw positioned Britain at the bottom of the social mobility charts, with a very strong correlation between the income bracket of one's parents and one's own income bracket. Tho' the US was surprisingly low too. As for exact figures, I don't know.

The US is very low, Britain much higher. The differences between the two systems and their outcomes reflect the US' greater degree of economic freedom and Britain's commitment to welfare state subsidised poverty.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ok - let's imagine a world in which Bill Gates has no money:

Are you personally any better off? No, but income disparity has improved. Result! In fact you could take this further, as per Frank McGahon's idea to destroy income inequality altogether: "Simply take all the money off those earning over 60% of the average wage... put it in a big container and set it on fire. Bingo: the "poor" become "rich" without receiving a single extra cent!"
I'm sure most people who aren't simply jealous of the very wealthy would rather see income disparity decrease via the poor getting richer, not the rich getting poorer.
In fact the amount of money in Bill Gates' bank account has little to do with the amount of money in yours.
This is clearly untrue if you've ever bought a Microsoft product, isn't it?
Total global wealth is not a fixed amount. Money going to the pocket's of the rich doesn't come directly from the pockets of the poor.
This might be the case with Gates and co., as poor people tend not to own computers full stop. But what about (for instance) American and European farmers whose incomes are protected by punitive taxes on the importation of much cheaper produce from developing countries? That is, pretty much, an example of some people economically benefiting from the impoverishment of others, and you, as a free marketeer, ought to be dead against it (protectionism and cartels, I mean).
Income inequality is a non-issue. Absolute or chronic poverty is the real issue.
I agree, as far as that goes.
Also, you need to consider the amount of tax contributed by the rich. In America, the top 20 percent of income earners pay 80 percent of total federal income taxes.
Well DUH, that's because they've got shitloads of money! That statistic reflects more on the sheer volume of their incomes than on the percentage of their incomes they pay as tax.
Now let's imagine a world in which there is no Bill Gates period:

Are you personally any better off? Obviously not - no one would be. You would actually in all probablity be worse off, because you would not be able to take advantage of all the products and technology that Bill Gates has developed. Certainly all the people currently working for Microsoft would be worse off. The same is true for all those using the technology Gates has developed. Would we even be able to have this debate without Bill Gates?
Well I don't really know enough about the history of rival computer systems and OSes to say this for sure, but many would argue that computer technology - the technology available to you and me as Johnny Consumer, I mean - would be far more advanced today if Microsoft hadn't had such a monopoly on PC software for so long.
Though of course there is that dangerously un-American, potentially communistic 'open source' Lunix software that hackers and terrorists use... ;)

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The US is very low, Britain much higher. The differences between the two systems and their outcomes reflect the US' greater degree of economic freedom and Britain's commitment to welfare state subsidised poverty.
Er, sorry, what? The US has low social mobility, Britain has higher social mobility, West Germany (the sample was sons born in 1970) and Sweden have even higher social mobility, and this demonstrates that welfare states hamper social mobility?

vimothy

yurp
I'm sure most people who aren't simply jealous of the very wealthy would rather see income disparity decrease via the poor getting richer, not the rich getting poorer.

Yeah of course, that's what I said:

Income inequality is a non-issue. Absolute or chronic poverty is the real issue.

This is clearly untrue if you've ever bought a Microsoft product, isn't it?

In a pendantic sense producers make you poorer if you purchase their product, but what I was driving at was that Bill Gates large income does not impact negatively on the size of your own.

This might be the case with Gates and co., as poor people tend not to own computers full stop. But what about (for instance) American and European farmers whose incomes are protected by punitive taxes on the importation of much cheaper produce from developing countries? That is, pretty much, an example of some people economically benefiting from the impoverishment of others, and you, as a free marketeer, ought to be dead against it.

I am dead against it, but you're missing the point, which is (in this instance) that protectionism only keeps people poor, it doesn't make them poor. Anyway, I'm not talking about trade liberalisation.

Well I don't really know enough about the history of rival computer systems and OSes to say this for sure, but many would argue that computer technology - the technology available to you and me as Johnny Consumer, I mean - would be far more advanced today if Microsoft hadn't had such a monopoly on PC software for so long.

And if there were no Bill Gateses (pl.)?

Though of course there is that dangerously un-American, potentially communistic 'open source' Lunix software that hackers and terrorists use... ;)

Actually, open source is pretty much the polar opposite of communism.

borderpolice

The same is true for all those using the technology Gates has developed. Would we even be able to have this debate without Bill Gates?

Which technology has BG developed? As far as i am aware none.

Until recently, the software Microsoft has developed has been inferior to that of the competition in most respects.

BG/MS is a really bad choice for showing of the virtues of unrestraint wage differentiation.

vimothy

yurp
Er, sorry, what? The US has low social mobility, Britain has higher social mobility, West Germany (the sample was sons born in 1970) and Sweden have even higher social mobility, and this demonstrates that welfare states hamper social mobility?

Well, I was just going off the figures in my head. According to the LSE report, Britain and America both have very low rates of social mobility, and Britain's is getting wider (America's is not).

The strength of the relationship between educational attainment and family income, especially for access to higher education, is at the heart of Britain's low mobility culture and what sets us apart from other European and North American countries.

And this is despite free education in this country, i.e. access to education is not determined by family income - but educational output for students is.

borderpolice

And this is despite free education in this country, i.e. access to education is not determined by family income - but educational output for students is.

Clearly there is a very strong positive correlation between parental income and educational levels. There is an even stronger correlation between parental educational level and the academic achievements of their children.

Japan is a very interesting country to look at if you want to see a very high powered economy. It is also extremely equal.

vimothy

yurp
Which technology has BG developed? As far as i am aware none.

Windows?

Until recently, the software Microsoft has developed has been inferior to that of the competition in most respects.

Inferior according to what measures? Isn't it just a standardised platform?

BG/MS is a really bad choice for showing of the virtues of unrestraint wage differentiation.

Which is why I'm happy to use him as an example.