Producer Talk

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Want to hear my dubstep tune?

Listen to it here

Done loads of different types of music, but this is the second stab at dubstep.Kinda techno-influenced (2562, Martyn et al)

Not really mixed cos I just wanted some feeback, but do please let me know.....

That's really fucking good, better than lots of released stuff out there. Love the vocal samples breaking up the dubsteppy vibe, and yeah, defintiely digging the strings...Philly goes dubstep (Only one small thing i'd say is that the hit that comes in at 1:00 doesn't really gel with the rest - but that may be cos it's not mixed yet.)

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

I like this, the tracks got lots of great sounds, good hooks and it develops interestingly. The string sequence in the second part is especially good (maybe this could be put at the start too, to bookend it). I would render multiple edits of this, each one with a particular element removed (eg. the 'uh' vox or the wood block or the hit at 1:20 - ie. the stuff that might be too incongruous for a track that has got lots of organic growth to it (tho' incongruity might be the effect you want)); also it's possible that the main motifs are strong enough to strip away *a lot* and have a very successful minimal affair.

Amplesamples

I also thought that the "uh" sound was a bit too high in volume at the beginning. Also, it lacked dynamics in comparison with the rest of the track. Did you sample it from an mp3?

As I said before, it's not mixed so the vox bits are a bit loud. I think the 'uh' sounds are from a fabolous track but I could be wrong.

I did this a while ago, and I'm not at my imac, so as far as I can remember I put a tiny delay between left and right of the vox sample to make it sound double-tracked, but can't remember what else I did. there's a little bit of reverb on some drums, and some sounds have a bit of delay but I don't think there's any compression at all, and none of it's been panned or balanced, so some bits might seem a bit high or low.

wanted to thank people for their feedback, been really encouraging. I will put up some other tracks asap. Lack of confidence is a problem of mine (even though I'm a music teacher!), and some of the comments have been so positive - thank you very much :):)

3 Body No Problem

I will put up some other tracks asap. Lack of confidence is a problem of mine (even though I'm a music teacher!),

You should definitely play out your tracks and try to get them published. As many as possible. You have potential. Lack of confidence is a killer and needs to be overcome ASAP, I'm taling from experience! ;) I also recommend to hook up with vocalists and try to incorporate some live vox, it might liven up your music, you will get new ideas and might new interesting people. Underutilised singers are 10 a penny in London. Maybe some of your music students want to volunteer.

Amplesamples

You should definitely play out your tracks and try to get them published. As many as possible. You have potential. Lack of confidence is a killer and needs to be overcome ASAP, I'm taling from experience! ;) I also recommend to hook up with vocalists and try to incorporate some live vox, it might liven up your music, you will get new ideas and might new interesting people. Underutilised singers are 10 a penny in London. Maybe some of your music students want to volunteer.

Thanks mate your feedback is very encouraging. When you talk about getting published, do you mean getting a record pressed??

I'll put some more tunes out and see what you think. Where would you get hold of singers from?

3 Body No Problem

Thanks mate your feedback is very encouraging. When you talk about getting published, do you mean getting a record pressed??

For example. Basically anything that gets you real feedback, preferably from other musicians or dancers in the club. Your friends and family will always tell you "I love your music" or some variant thereof. It's not genuine. It's well-intended but doesn't help you improve your craft.

Where would you get hold of singers from?

It's really easy in my experience. I took a lot of music classes at Goldsmith, CityLit and like places. All these classes, especially the singing classes were full with singers who couldn't get gigs, recording opportunities. They'll jump at every opportunity to get their voice recorded. You can also put up "singer wanted" notices in these places, or online, but I personally prefer to meet people in person beforehand.

Amplesamples

Ok here's another couple of tracks, plus the one I put up earlier.

http://soundcloud.com/amplesamples

The happydaze refix is basically an instrumental that probably needs a singer. i did do a song to it, but it was rubbish, so it still needs a bit of work.

these aren't mixed properly either, the amplesteps tune in particular has frequencies wrong all over the place, but let me know what you think.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
Aww Nein.

My favourite track is probably Draco out of the top three on your myspace.

I like your beats, but I think you're a bit busy with the keyboard sounds for dubstep, there's not much space.

What are your dubstep influences?

thanks for the feedback, i guess the main influence is probably the more bright overloaded synthy stuff (anything on hyperdub, joker zomby darkstar kode9 etc) and some of the darker crackly abstract stuff (burial obviously, shackleton). not that my stuffs anywhere near that yet but thats what i like.

liking backup, especially around 1:20 where the arp line comes in, nice contrast to the more swelling pad sounds.

drilla

Ok here's another couple of tracks, plus the one I put up earlier.

http://soundcloud.com/amplesamples

The happydaze refix is basically an instrumental that probably needs a singer. i did do a song to it, but it was rubbish, so it still needs a bit of work.

these aren't mixed properly either, the amplesteps tune in particular has frequencies wrong all over the place, but let me know what you think.

i love happydaze, i did start spontaneously singing melodies to it.. definitely something there.

Amplesamples

No it's just Logic Pro.

I like Live, but part of me doesn't want to use it due to cost/time limitations.

Used to use external gear with Cubase/Logic - had an old EMU Sampler, MoPhatt, a zoom fx box and an analogue synth made by Cheetah (who made the superb 125+ joystick!)

But now it's all in Logic. I teach Music Technology too, using Logic. Logic is my life.

Thanks for your feedback drilla, much appreciated.

Currently writing an R'n'B tune, recording my vox tomorrow. I'll post it up when it's finished, see what people think.

Amplesamples

Oh yeah definitely all Logic sounds, especially the drum sounds and such like. I layer the drum sounds quite a bit sometimes, but it's all ultrabeat drumkits mostly.

I'm a school teacher in London.

Amplesamples

Currently writing an R'n'B tune, recording my vox tomorrow. I'll post it up when it's finished, see what people think.

This is now finished - more of a pop song than RnB to be honest. i've tried to mix it as well as I can (I'm not an amazing vocalist by any stretch of the imagination), but I haven't done a lot of songs. i'm getting better at lyrics, although I'm much better at throwaway stuff than anything that could be seen as profound or cryptic.

If people could give me feedback on this it would be greatly appreciated.

You can listen to it here

Cheers