"Chav - the Musical"

swears

preppy-kei
Besides, the fella having a go at me for being an office drudge gets money off his family to do whatever the fuck he likes. I was pointing out that not everybody has that option. I had to pay my parents to live at home, now I rent with mates.

N

nomadologist

Isn't that always the way? It's always the "haves" telling people who don't have great jobs, tons of money, and multiple college degrees that if they weren't so lazy--if they just adjusted their attitude, right?--they'd have access to wealth, too! It's so ignorant of people to not have money like me!

swears

preppy-kei
I could probably have a better job, better qualifications, etc... I could still go back to uni but it's expensive now, and half the people I know who went have worse jobs than me.

N

nomadologist

So going back to school is not worth the risks, right? Because there's no guarantee that the financial risk will be remunerated.

But no, if you ask the people going on about "reverse snobbery", it's up to the individual to decide whether they'll have tremendous financial success in life. Bullshit.

N

nomadologist

Yeah well maybe not compared to OIL or DRUGS. What?

Indie music has crossed over and is making big bucks now, but there was a very long period when all those DIY labels that ruled the 90s would fold like lawnchairs constantly.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
That mayb be true of actual independant music. But 'indie' rock as we know it now was mahoosive in the 90s you know.

N

nomadologist

It was huge in the UK, since Oasis at least. Less so in the US I suppose.

Oasis was gobbled up by the majors very quickly--went from Creation to Epic right quick.

Edit: "Indie" was very very big among the "college rock" crowd in the 90s, but it wasn't until around 2000 that it crossed over to major commercial success.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Oh, so you're a scumbag if you're poor? Another brilliant insight.

You love it don't you?

Your tactics of derailing and obfuscating discussions / arguments that don't go your way might work to some extent in the real world but on here everyone can see what I actually said.

Actually I expect they've all gone home and given up by now. See you later tate...

N

nomadologist

I'm not the one who is saying that poor people are just lazy and "bully each other" into not finishing high school. That was you and Mr. Tea.

So do you think all people with bad jobs who didn't finish school are "reverse snobs", Noel Emits?

swears

preppy-kei
Oasis was gobbled up by the majors very quickly--went from Creation to Epic right quick.

I just meant as a style of music, an attitude. I think Creation were a subsidiary of Sony by the 90s. Anyway, everybody knows that Britpop was an evil scheme hatched by John Major to stop internationally-sourced, cosmopolitan dance music. ;)

N

nomadologist

You love it don't you?

Your tactics of derailing and obfuscating discussions / arguments that don't go your way might work to some extent in the real world but on here everyone can see what I actually said.

Actually I expect they've all gone home and given up by now. See you later tate...

If your arguments are so great, by all means, regale us with them.

N

nomadologist

I just meant as a style of music, an attitude. I think Creation were a subsidiary of Sony by the 90s. Anyway, everybody knows that Britpop was an evil scheme hatched by John Major to stop internationally-sourced, cosmopolitan dance music. ;)

Yeah, but even as a style/attitude, it was still (in the US) indie was still in that stage where it still had "cred" for not being wholly commercially viable at that time.

Money was made, but in the grand scheme of the industry, not that much.

N

nomadologist

oh don't worry, I have summer Fridays so I get to leave work now. Have fun spending your Friday night at home on the internet, Noel.

swears

preppy-kei
What I meant was that noel might have thought it was big in the US because it was big over here. Obviously not the case. Anyways, I'm going to the pub, so everbody have a nice w/end.