"R'n'B" recommendations PLEASE!?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I like the fact it's not perfect - like the equivalent of a lot of rock singers whose voices are not good, but they still have that something that makes them captivating. I'd personally like to see some more vocal imperfection in RnB...you don't really get that much that I've heard.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
There's some quote from David Byrne where he basically says singers who don't have great technique are more believable than those who do... like no one believes an opera singer is feeling the shit he/she is singing about. I think there's an element of that in your "average" Beyonce or what have you. Can be great to listen to, but not easy to connect with?

gumdrops

theres imperfections and theres just noticeably weak though. he sounds like he can barely reach half the notes hes trying to hit. i dunno about wanting more imperfections in R&B, id be happy with just more distinct 'grainier' voices. sort of why i prefer rihanna to beyonce, who rarely gives off any sort of vulnerability in her voice at all and is generally just all power, never much tenderness. rihannas voice has a much more interesting texture, but shes definitely still a capable singer.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
beyonce's bloody awful in my opinion. so clinical (whereas kelly has a gorgeous, human vocal delivery, for example). and god knows how she's got a reputation as being super-sexy - the crazy in love video was ont he other day and there's something very awkward about her dancing. Again, so bloody clinical....

true, there is a difference between an imperfect voice and a weak one. But some of my favourite singers in rock (Dean Wareham, Ian Brown, no doubt some more) have technically shite voices, so i'm personally not averse to that. And i think The Dream is technically better than either of them (obviously so, in fact).

Interesting to mull why a deviation from brilliant technicality doesn't seem to be tolerated (or rather, marketable) outside certain types of music.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's some quote from David Byrne where he basically says singers who don't have great technique are more believable than those who do... like no one believes an opera singer is feeling the shit he/she is singing about. I think there's an element of that in your "average" Beyonce or what have you. Can be great to listen to, but not easy to connect with?

fair play to david byrne, who i like a lot, but this is kinda obvious, no? Some of the greatest singers have ropey voices, and lots of opera is sung so passionlessly that it becomes musical wallpaper.

And there's the story from 'What's Going On'. where Marvin hit upon his brilliant delivery in that album after being told 'not to try so hard'. Worked a charm.

craner

Beast of Burden
Is 'Birthday Sex' as bad as I think it is?

I know Luka loves it, but I'm not so sure. I think it's a virus.

craner

Beast of Burden
I agree on Beyonce. Best thing about her is...Jay Z and the other members and producers of Destiny's Child, even the sacked ones.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
beyonce's bloody awful in my opinion. so clinical (whereas kelly has a gorgeous, human vocal delivery, for example). and god knows how she's got a reputation as being super-sexy - the crazy in love video was ont he other day and there's something very awkward about her dancing. Again, so bloody clinical....

true. she's like a robot that i want to be sexually assaulted by.

CrowleyHead

true. she's like a robot that i want to be sexually assaulted by.

Well, she's a Virgo. Usually Virgos have this consistent attitude of robot perfection. Look at Cassie, yet another Virgo.

The best/worst Beyonce video is the "Check Up On It" one, where she proves her talents by duplicating the images of other singers (Mariah, J-Lo, Alicia Keys, Mary J.) as if to show her superiority.

nomos

Administrator
is there a magazine with decent writing on r&b etc? i bought rap up a while ago and it was appalling.

craner

Beast of Burden
MoTown classic:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

craner

Beast of Burden
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

craner

Beast of Burden

craner

Beast of Burden

craner

Beast of Burden