"R'n'B" recommendations PLEASE!?

mos dan

fact music
It's pretty tragic how badly treated Amerie's last record was.

that album was so so good, one of the things i've listened to more than anything else in the last five years, seriously.

dude are you from the 'so bones' night then? i saw that on fb and really wanted to go but had to miss it sadly - me and a few mates were saying it was the best list of names on a flyer in a long time tho.. ryan leslie very rarely gets repped on flyers in london :)

rosebeast

The Amerie album was just really poorly promoted, and didn't even get a general release in America. I think it was only sold for a limited time in something like Walmart. The singles didn't connect in the way the label thought they would have done, and they seemed to give up on the album almost immediately.

And yeah...I'm the guy from So Bones. I'm actually throwing a So Bones night this Thursday at Catch. Little bit nervous bout it cause I've had less than a week to promote it! Eek!

rosebeast

GetAttachment1.jpg

FUTURE FUNK, SOUTHERN SYNTH CRUSHERS, SCREWED & CHOPPED, AUTOTUNE FANTASIAS, FLORIDA VIBE, CHICAGO JUKE, BOUNCE, ROBO-SOUL, METAL MACHINE JAMS....

/////////////////////////

Danjahandz, Cassie, Ciara, Shawty Redd, Lloyd, Electrik Red, Richgirl, Three 6 Mafia, The Dream, Danity Kane, Gucci Mane, Cash Money, Keri Hilson, Drumma Boy, Young Jeezy, Beyonce, Crime Mob,Britney, Chelley, T Pain, Ryan Leslie, Aaliyah, Brandy, The Neptunes, Swishahouse, UGK, Darkchild, Collipark, David Banner, Polow Da Don, Trina, Lil' Jon, Timbaland, Rich Harrison....

NO Akon...and no fucking Flo Rida.

+++++++++++

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=92198043698&ref=mf" target=_blank>FACEBOOK PAGE</a>

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's a killer list of names (particularly liking the No Akon policy). Will try and persuade my friend that that is where we want to go out tomorrow evening.

How did it turn out last time you held it at Catch?

rosebeast

It's a killer list of names (particularly liking the No Akon policy). Will try and persuade my friend that that is where we want to go out tomorrow evening.

How did it turn out last time you held it at Catch?

The first one was awesome, really packed, lots of dancing, etc.

The last one wasn't as good. I changed it to a Friday and the crowd was all wrong. I don't think they got what the night was supposed to be about so I had lots of requests for stuff like Salt N Pepa and Vanilla Ice, followed by lots of angry faces when I refused to play along.

I've noticed both times before though that when I've eased into the night with some chopped and screwed or some vibe there have been some bewildered looks. But in a sense that's kinda why I wanted to do the night because even though this stuff is huge in parts of America, in London alot of it is genuinely new and alien to people and it's interesting to see how people react.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
J Davey 'No More' is grrrreat. I'm more into that 'nu-soul' sort of thing than RnB really.

Having said that I downloaded that mix by rosebeast and it really blew me away, production wise. That Janet Jackson tune for example is fucking nuts. The vocals on most of those tunes seem like the weakest things to me, or they've been reduced to fodder for the autotune. I'd like to hear some really strong vocals allied to those kinds of beats, I suspect I already have what with Timbaland/Neptunes dominance of the charts over the past few years... cheers for that mix, one of the most interesting things I've heard all year.

BareBones

wheezy
That Janet Jackson tune for example is fucking nuts.

yeah definitely, it's fucking great! A really sweet mix all round, been caning it for the last week.

cheers for the salem mix too rosebeast, downloading now... salem are definitely a highlight of 2009 for me... will try to make it to catch on tomorrow if i can round up some friends who can be bothered to leave the house. is it free entry?

rosebeast

Having said that I downloaded that mix by rosebeast and it really blew me away, production wise. That Janet Jackson tune for example is fucking nuts. The vocals on most of those tunes seem like the weakest things to me, or they've been reduced to fodder for the autotune. I'd like to hear some really strong vocals allied to those kinds of beats, I suspect I already have what with Timbaland/Neptunes dominance of the charts over the past few years... cheers for that mix, one of the most interesting things I've heard all year.

I think it's often the vocal calibre of singers that turns alot of people off of modern day r&b. Ciara and Cassie have been accused of lacking personality or the most basic of vocal skills, and while I would never say they have the strongest technical voices in the world, I think both singers actually have a lot of personality, they're just more dependent on the right productions that bring that to the fore. I still think there are a lot of belters out there like Beyonce, Jazmine Sullivan, Richgirl, etc who can really sing the shit out of their songs over some pretty crazy beats.

yeah definitely, it's fucking great! A really sweet mix all round, been caning it for the last week.

cheers for the salem mix too rosebeast, downloading now... salem are definitely a highlight of 2009 for me... will try to make it to catch on tomorrow if i can round up some friends who can be bothered to leave the house. is it free entry?

Glad you like the Salem mix. I thought they did an awesome job. Cheers for all the compliments about the mix!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The first one was awesome, really packed, lots of dancing, etc.

The last one wasn't as good. I changed it to a Friday and the crowd was all wrong. I don't think they got what the night was supposed to be about so I had lots of requests for stuff like Salt N Pepa and Vanilla Ice, followed by lots of angry faces when I refused to play along.

I've noticed both times before though that when I've eased into the night with some chopped and screwed or some vibe there have been some bewildered looks. But in a sense that's kinda why I wanted to do the night because even though this stuff is huge in parts of America, in London alot of it is genuinely new and alien to people and it's interesting to see how people react.

That's what i would've expected i guess, from the shoreditch location (unfortunately). Glad the Thursday worked out better.

I'm sure there're lots of people in London familiar with c&s etc - it's just getting them to know about the night that's obviouslyt he eternal headache of the promoter -or, rather, enough people who know it, so that they can ease the rest of the crowd into it. Play the c&s version of Christina's 'Beautiful' - "B-b-b-b-ut it's at the wrong speed...?"

rosebeast

will try to make it to catch on tomorrow if i can round up some friends who can be bothered to leave the house. is it free entry?

INDEED!

That's what i would've expected i guess, from the shoreditch location (unfortunately). Glad the Thursday worked out better.

I'm sure there're lots of people in London familiar with c&s etc - it's just getting them to know about the night that's obviouslyt he eternal headache of the promoter -or, rather, enough people who know it, so that they can ease the rest of the crowd into it. Play the c&s version of Christina's 'Beautiful' - "B-b-b-b-ut it's at the wrong speed...?"

Whilst I was playing a c/s version of Promise by Ciara I actually had some guy come up to me at the beginning of the last one and inform me my record was fucked up. I tried to explain it wasn't but I think it fell on deaf ears.

I'm playing at this in a few weeks...should be good.

the-international-amalgamation-of-c.jpg

gumdrops

J Davey 'No More' is grrrreat. I'm more into that 'nu-soul' sort of thing than RnB really.

the girl in j davey isnt exactly aretha though lol ;)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wasn't so much talking about the strength of the vocalists (although that's exactly what I wrote lol) as the strength of the song/melodies they're singing... A lot of the time I can't stand that bellowing cartwheeling Beyonce style vocal either. If you look at a lot of the tunes on 'Justified', for example, you wouldn't say that Timberlake is a particularly good singer/personality, but the songs are very well written with really strong melodies and the production compliments them (of course I could be out on a limb here, I'm aware this is very subjective). Whereas with a lot of the tunes on that mix, the production is great but the vocals seem a bit... forgettable.

I'm probably just not into that style of singing tbh

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I wasn't so much talking about the strength of the vocalists (although that's exactly what I wrote lol) as the strength of the song/melodies they're singing... A lot of the time I can't stand that bellowing cartwheeling Beyonce style vocal either. If you look at a lot of the tunes on 'Justified', for example, you wouldn't say that Timberlake is a particularly good singer/personality, but the songs are very well written with really strong melodies and the production compliments them (of course I could be out on a limb here, I'm aware this is very subjective). Whereas with a lot of the tunes on that mix, the production is great but the vocals seem a bit... forgettable.

Heh, yeah, I totally agree with all this... including not finding big histrionic belters any better generally. I was thinking the same listening to that mix last night... It's my complaint about a lot of music with interesting production though, including sorta supposedly "experimental" US indie fave stuff. Dunno what I think's missing.

Maybe creative production is actually easier than writing a decent song! :)

Jdavey's No More is something else. Anyone bought their mixtape? I can see their record label being too scared to release their album (assuming they've finished it).

This has probably been mentioned before

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

raffia

i think ne-yo is genius. i was well into that miss independent song (lyrics are bob but hey)

noticed he wrote all the best songs on the last mary J album.

hint

party record with a siren
Jdavey's No More is something else. Anyone bought their mixtape? I can see their record label being too scared to release their album (assuming they've finished it).

As I understand it "Beauty In Distortion / Land Of The Lost" is that album. It's not a mixtape.

Or are you referring to something more recent?