Newish House/Techno LP's I should own

tom pr

Onur Ozer’s album is amazing (I owe you on that one Simon). I think my review of it is on the first page of the fact reviews section but it’ll probably just put you off it—just buy it instead.

turtles

in the sea
Onur Ozer’s album is amazing (I owe you on that one Simon). I think my review of it is on the first page of the fact reviews section but it’ll probably just put you off it—just buy it instead.
I liked it pretty good but got a bit overwhelmed by his aesthetic in the album format. I mean, all his tracks are so free form and constantly evolving and mutating that after a while you feel like you could kinda just sub in one part of one song into another part of another song and it wouldn't really make a difference. I think it would have worked better as a series of 12"s to be honest, so you could deal with each track on its own and get to know the little details and idiosyncrasies. As it is I keep wanting to turn to something else about 2/3rds through, even though I may be enjoying the what I'm listening to at the time.

Listening to Luciano's Cadenza Contemporary 01 mix right now, and its sounding very nice too. I love cadenza. And luciano, for that matter.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah that cadenza comp is great isn't it. it was a nice surprise to find that i liked the 'contemporary' disc better than than the 'classics' one; they just seem to be getting better and better.

dogger

Sweet Virginia
yeah that cadenza comp is great isn't it. it was a nice surprise to find that i liked the 'contemporary' disc better than than the 'classics' one; they just seem to be getting better and better.

yeah they're great. /slightly/ underwhelmed by the petre inspirescu maxi-ep, if only because it's not quite as perfect as 'de bou'...digitaline's 'honolulu', and the luciano rmx, are superb tho.

on the album tip, i have to say i can't wait for the thomas melchior album - love his stuff anyway and the clips sound every bit as good as you'd hope. 'coming up' sounds particularly (appropriately) euphoria-inducing, in an ultra-reduced way. samples here: http://www.neuton.com/index.php?id=...les&katalognr=perlon66&exclusiv=&newslist_id=

psherburne

agreed on onur -- the "red cabaret" EP (or whatever it was called) was GENIUS, but i can't really take him in larger doses. would have preferred a series of 12"s, as silly as that sounds.

seconded on the melchior, though i'm still just digging in.

my techno/house/schminimal album of the year is bruno pronsato's forthcoming LP on hello?repeat, "why can't we be like us." best ricardo villalobos record that ricardo didn't produce this year (and, in fact, perhaps better). absolutely lush, intricate, evolving, tentative, melancholic, ripply, liquid. there's a limited, one-sided 12" out right now with one track from the LP version (done in collab w/ fumiya tanaka and sammy d) but it'll be on the double vinyl version of the LP, so it's not essential, unless you plan to buy the CD (which will substitute a different track for that one). in any case, friggin' genius, one of my top 10 of the year in any genre. check the december wire for a short profile on bruno.

turtles

in the sea
agreed with...everyone! (well haven't heard the bruno pronsato yet, will have to get on it). Was kinda underwhelmed by the 'classics' disc too (except for Amael--swoon), but loved 'conemporary'. and I must have listened to that melchior album-taster mix about 5-6 times since i downloaded it yesterday...mmmminimal (does mmmmuffins exist anywhere else? helluva muffin shop)

Lichen

I'm revising an earlier comment: I don't get Theo Parrish. Someone exlpain the attraction please.

Digatline took me a while to get into but, but I've cracked it and it rocks.

MyMy blew me away on a first listen (weed and headphones:)) but has paled a bit.

Efdemin rather dull.

One track stands head and shoulders above the rest for me: Pantha's Lichten, it's funky, melancholic, unusual and bears repeated listening. A tune that makes you wonder "How on earth did he think of that?"

Leo

I'm revising an earlier comment: I don't get Theo Parrish. Someone exlpain the attraction please.

this prob sounds stupid but one of the things i enjoy about theo is that he's not easy to like, sort of like "outsider house," if there were such a thing. his stuff is sort of lo-fi, off-kilter, really repetitive, not always that many hooks in the tracks almost to the point of being unintentionally arty...he just doesn't do it the easy way. and he's got the soulful vibe.

smn

Okay the advance mixed version of the new Melchior Productions Ltd lp "No Disco Future" that just got posted at ohmygosh is amazing, at least at first listen on headphones...

Yeah! Fun! Ky! Can't wait to hear it loud when I get home :D

Oh and is that a Pink :)eek:) sample on Coming Up?

The Aaron Carl sampling In The Sprit from the preceeding 12" is cool too. House music indeed.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
What, no love for the Cobblestone Jazz album? Haven't heard it yet except for samples on Juno but those sound as good as can be expected given their continuing standard of quality.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
the cobblestone jazz album is good, i did really enjoy it. however, it does somehow come too close to being tooooo, streamlined or something. Can make it seem a bit bland if you're not in the right mood. i actually enjoyed the live disc more I think.

mms

sometimes

that?"

beautiful rough painterly tracks with fat dollops of abstract detailed sunshine soul.
sometimes quite straight sometimes utterly off the wall and esoteric. his records are like feelings rather than really memorable tunes but they just work so well.

Lichen

beautiful rough painterly tracks with fat dollops of abstract detailed sunshine soul.
sometimes quite straight sometimes utterly off the wall and esoteric. his records are like feelings rather than really memorable tunes but they just work so well.

mmmm okay. it sounds like he needs to be enjoyed in totally different way to other music on this thread...trying to enjoy it in the same linear, progressive, propelled way won't work will it? Nor will appreciating its "sound design" (which i think is a very fleeting pleasure anyway, like running your hand over velvet, or squidging cashmere).

I will re-listen.

mms

sometimes
mmmm okay. it sounds like he needs to be enjoyed in totally different way to other music on this thread...trying to enjoy it in the same linear, progressive, propelled way won't work will it? Nor will appreciating its "sound design" (which i think is a very fleeting pleasure anyway, like running your hand over velvet, or squidging cashmere).

I will re-listen.

Nope although the sound design is awesome, it's not clean software produced music though it's full of dust and dirt and big fat blurs in the tradition of black psychedelia, hendrix, electric miles and that.

Last edited:

Lichen

Ah. It can help to know what you're listening to before you listen to it.

I have a 3xLP called 'Sound Signatures". Ring any bells?

henry s

Street Fighting Man
while we're on Parrish, I thought the Three Chairs thing he did a couple years back with Kenny "Moodymann" Dixon Jr. and Rick Wilhite was wrongly ignored...stuff is dark, spiritual, hypnotic and (paradoxically) fresh as spring rain...

S

simon silverdollar

in some ways i see theo parrish as being of a piece with the kind of narco-techno that Michael Mayer's Immer mixes focus on; there's a similar kind of blurring of 4/4 until it becomes all hazy and almost ambient. you don't know whether to fall asleep to it or dance to it.

childrentalking

i'm a massive theo fan. that 3xlp (if you mean sound sculptures) is one of my least favourite things by him. please dont judge him on that.

I'd say seek out the tracks Serengeti Echoes and Summertime Is Here for stabs at conventional beauty (Summertime Is Here is closer to Alice Coltrane than house music); That Day and Heal Yourself And Move for slower, more dubbed-out electronic pieces... he has such a vast body of amazing productions, I could sit here and list favourites all day.

Alfons

Way of the future
solitary flight and the remix of slowly surely are my favourite Theo Parrish tunes, just looovely!

He's one of the dj's I would really really like to see too. Have only heard really good things about him and the sets Ive heard online sound like a coherent trip while being very eclectic too. Would love to experience a set of his with a likeminded crowd.

mms

sometimes
solitary flight and the remix of slowly surely are my favourite Theo Parrish tunes, just looovely!

He's one of the dj's I would really really like to see too. Have only heard really good things about him and the sets Ive heard online sound like a coherent trip while being very eclectic too. Would love to experience a set of his with a likeminded crowd.

if you live in the city of london hes playing on 3rd dec in plastic people