paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Celtic weren't so great last night but just getting out of the group stage is impressive for a Scottish team

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
well, the second leg should be titanic.

did anyone see Shakhtar-Dortmund? The highlights make both teams look surprisingly inept, Keystone cops type stuff - maybe the surface wasn't good?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I enjoyed that game. United rode the early storm and in the second half, despite having less of the ball they created the real chances. On that evidence Madrid looked as though they were dangerous and as though they could get a goal at any point - but they never looked as though they could go that extra level and actually force a goal. They will have to do better than that in the next leg or they'll be out.
One thing to mention, a surprisingly good natured game with little in the way of bad fouling or diving. Real a decentish shout for a penalty which would have been harsh, United had that moment when Welbeck (I think it was) was tripped having broken through. I think it was a foul but you can't really blame the ref for not giving it, if he had he would have had to reach for the red so he took the easy option and waved play on.
Most likely players on each side - Welbeck and Di Maria - were both taken off by the end so it did sigh a little to the close... but both managers know there are two legs and it's difficult to argue with their decisions.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd be a bit worried if I were Mourinho (perish the thought). RvP really should have scored that opportunity - and usually you'd back him to - and for all their dominance Real could easily have lost the game.

From what I heard, they were outclassed by Dortmund at home in the group stages, and it's hard to see Real winning the cup even if they do go through. Which must mean Mourinho goes.

comedy Dortmund goal

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ha, spot on SectionFive. What the fuck is he doing? He can't need the money, I thought he'd made loads as a (allegedly slum) landlord - maybe he owes a favour to someone. Or else maybe the investments didn't turn out as well as he claims, you'd at least thought that they could have paid to light it properly.
In other football news, I wish everybody could have seen that goal I scored tonight, modesty forbids me from describing it but even one of the other team congratulated me for it at the end of the match.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ha, spot on SectionFive. What the fuck is he doing? He can't need the money, I thought he'd made loads as a (allegedly slum) landlord - maybe he owes a favour to someone. Or else maybe the investments didn't turn out as well as he claims, you'd at least thought that they could have paid to light it properly.
In other football news, I wish everybody could have seen that goal I scored tonight, modesty forbids me from describing it but even one of the other team congratulated me for it at the end of the match.

The question is, are you going to devote a ten-minute section at the start of each class at your new school to describe its wonder?

(To be fair, it was a nailed-on contender for goal of the season in our league. Le Tissier-esque.)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The question is, are you going to devote a ten-minute section at the start of each class at your new school to describe its wonder?
(To be fair, it was a nailed-on contender for goal of the season in our league. Le Tissier-esque.)"
Some did mention Le Tissier at the time, I think a couple also mentioned Thierry Henry, but to be honest neither description quite captures the whole thing. Maybe if you did some kind of reduction of their best moments into one sublime instant you would be approaching an approximation to what happened. Good idea about the teaching thing though, I've definitely got enough material.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Brendan Rodgers' advocacy for Suarez to get player of the year seems more like an admission of how shit Liverpool are apart from the allegedly racist cheat, than anything else. Maybe he's just upset that they will end the season with absolutely nothing.

Got to be Bale on present form, surely - which single United player would merit it?

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Brendan Rodgers' advocacy for Suarez to get player of the year seems more like an admission of how shit Liverpool are apart from the allegedly racist cheat, than anything else.

Got to be Bale on present form, surely - what single United player would merit it? I guess RvP, but it seems as though his impact has been less than last year, when he carried a whole team to Champions' League football.

crackerjack

Brendan Rodgers' advocacy for Suarez to get player of the year seems more like an admission of how shit Liverpool are apart from the allegedly racist cheat, than anything else.

Got to be Bale on present form, surely - what single United player would merit it? I guess RvP, but it seems as though his impact has been less than last year, when he carried a whole team to Champions' League football.

RVP's season is starting to seem much like last year – spellbindingly brilliant for the first 60%, then a decline towards the end. I realise I'm calling this a bit early, as we're only just in March, but I wonder if he's just not used to playing competitive football for a full season. His time at Arsenal (bar last year) always seemed to involve at least one injury lay-off of a month or more.

Liverpool are shit, but Suarez has been phenomenal this year. Hard to call between him and Bale. Bale's goals are more spectacular, but Suarez gets more of them and I'm not convinced that Bale's assists record is that great for a winger.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Mata >>>

Pretty much all of the big Premiership teams have been carried by one awesome forward at least at some points this season, except for City. None of them really have a big selection of attacking talent

hucks

Your Message Here
Mata >>>

Pretty much all of the big Premiership teams have been carried by one awesome forward at least at some points this season, except for City. None of them really have a big selection of attacking talent

Grant Holt's been shit this season so yeah I'd go with Suarez

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Grant Holt's been shit this season so yeah I'd go with Suarez

Whats the lowest league position the winners team has finished in? Seems like player of the year rarely comes from the champions these days, usually is a player whos carried a whole team. Suarez fits, but cant get past the fact i hate him.

tom lea

Bale, Van Persie, Mata, Michu, Suarez i'm guessing will be five of the six nominees. Can't think of anyone - Michu aside - from a team outside the European spots who's had a proper barnstormer ala Coloccini, Krul and Vorm last year. But I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting.

Stats can obviously be misleading, but I read this weekend that Mata has 17 goals and 20 assists at club level this season. That's fucking mad, surely?

tom lea

Anyway - on the basis of Van Persie, Bale and Suarez being total helmets and Michu losing points for his Heskey-circa-2001 goal celebration, Mata's the only realistic winner.

BALE-CHEAT.gif