tom lea

The whole lying on the floor after going to ground & expecting the opposition to put the ball out of play does my head in. Hernandez did it today in the Chelsea game. Minimal contact, went down, lay on the floor until someone kicked the ball out then got straight back up.

He's obviously not a bad person, but Hernandez just does my head in. He's a real busy little cunt, as Jaap Stam would say - and shit to watch with it, this rolling ball of limbs who somehow manages to score fantastic goals and make them look like the most inelegant, accidental things possible.

Give me Hazard and his slalom runs any day.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd love for Michu to win it, but I doubt it'll happen.

Mata is brilliant, but the quality of player he has alongside him is such that it'd surely be difficult for him to be PotY given that Chelsea will only finish third/got unceremoniously dumped out of Europe?

And given that Man U still have a reasonable chance to break the all-time points record, even while RvP has faded a bit, surely there must be another contender form within their ranks? Seems odd if there isn't.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Howard-Webb-is-Manchester-Uniteds-best-player/103936619639535 ?

#modernfootballissogrim Martinez:"The league has to come first. I would never jeopardise survival there, and the future of the club, just for a visit to Wembley." He's obviously being solidly pragmatic, but well, what's the point in playing/managing football then, if winning stuff is not going to be first on your list?

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
#modernfootballissogrim Martinez:"The league has to come first. I would never jeopardise survival there, and the future of the club, just for a visit to Wembley." He's obviously being solidly pragmatic, but well, what's the point in playing/managing football then, if winning stuff is not going to be first on your list?

I wonder about this. The damage, such as it is, is done for Wigan now. They'll have 2 games to squeeze in later in the season whatever happens in the semi, which they ought to win. But if they go down this season, and they have to go down eventually, they get the cover of a cupfinal and maybe even a cup win. That goes for Martinez too. This would be the best way for them to go, so they should just accept it now. In particular, they should roll over when Norwich go to Wigan next month.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Plus relegation can be good for a team. It's not as though any of those relegated during the past two PL seasons are languishing in abject mid-table obscurity in the Championship, probably never to visit Old Trafford again except on a stadium tour. And anyways, Wigan will be able to visit Lithuania instead if they get into Europe.

hucks

Your Message Here
Plus relegation can be good for a team. It's not as though any of those relegated during the past two PL seasons are languishing in abject mid-table obscurity in the Championship, probably never to visit Old Trafford again except on a stadium tour. And anyways, Wigan will be able to visit Lithuania instead if they get into Europe.

Ha, quite. Wolves would bite your hand off for mid table Championship obscurity right now.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Speaking of which - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/video-pine-marten-interrupts-swiss-1757264

A FOOTBALL match is thrown into chaos after a plucky pine marten enters the pitch and darts from side to side.

ZURICH defender Loris Beneto was left with a bloodied finger after attempting to pick up the feisty furry animal who ran onto the pitch during a game against FC Thun.

As players look on in disbelief, the animal seems to exit the pitch, before reappearing and stopping play.

The player is seen grabbing the Pine Marten which recoils and bites him in the finger.

He soon drops it and it again scrambles onto the pitch, before the goalie saves the day by capturing it.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
From wikipedia

Loris Benito (born 7 January 1992) is a Swiss footballer & registered Pine Marten catcher who plays for FC Zürich in the Swiss Super League, as a defender and midfielder. On 10 March 2013, in a match against FC Thun, Benito was bitten while attempting to catch a marten that had invaded the pitch.[1]

crackerjack

That was as brilliant and as one-sided a demolition as that time last summer when a Spanish side beat an Italian one 4-0. Milan's tackling in the first half was so featherweight it was unreal. Hard to believe that if Ronaldinho had scored late on Barca would likely have gone out.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just watched the Arsenal highlights. Neuer should have been at the very least booked for his antics after the second goal - what a fucking cheat!

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'm predicting Scotland to get absolutely pumped by the Serbians tonight. We're currently bottom of our group with no wins and likely to be in the fifth pot for Euro 2016qualifying. We got beat at home by a Bale-less Wales

:confused:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Neuer should have been at the very least booked for his antics after the second goal - what a fucking cheat!"
After England's goal was disallowed against Germany

"I tried not to react to the referee and just concentrate on what was happening," he told reporters.
"I realised it was over the line and I think the way I carried on so quickly fooled the referee into thinking it was not over."
Why do we accept that in football? Can you imagine Tiger Woods saying "Nobody was looking so I kicked it out of the rough and got down in two"?

crackerjack

After England's goal was disallowed against Germany

Why do we accept that in football? Can you imagine Tiger Woods saying "Nobody was looking so I kicked it out of the rough and got down in two"?

Well the simple answer there is that Neuer didn't break any rule, any more than appealing for a throw you know came off you isn't a foul. But yes, clearly football's cheating problem is way out of control.