baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think they probably will get out of the group - England rarely get hammered by the good teams*, more often struggling against teams considered inferior. Plus, and while it's no indicator really, England have never failed in living memory to get out of the first group stage.

* even when they're being hammered in terms of play and possession, as against Italy at the Euros, rarely does it equal a comprehensive thrashing on the scoreboard, or even a beating over 90 minutes. That's why Bloemfontein sticks in the collective memory, I guess. For all that it's understood that England perform poorly at big tournaments, they're only been a few penalty kicks away from a fairly good record, at least in terms of semifinals.

Last edited:

crackerjack

I think people are being a bit blinded about Uruguay: Suarez + semi-final in 2010 + South American ≠ victory over England in 2014, not after a qualification process that saw them draw at home to Jordan in the play-offs. Obviously they have a good chance – and I'm assuming the weather will work to advantage of them and CR – but I'd put England's chances of getting through around 40%, which isn't too bad.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think they might as well face a toughish test early on as struggle through an early group and then knocked out by the first decent team they play. And honestly, if we're scared of Uruguay then what's gonna happen when we play Spain or Brazil or Germany etc?

On an unrelated tangent - Arsenal almost threw it away today didn't they?

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I'm thinking Spurs should give him until the end of the season at least. They've bought in a lot of new players and it's not been all bad for them (think they're only about seven points or so behind City)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
AVBReading2.gif

Tottenham are still only eight points and 200 goals off the title pace though - surely he can turn it round.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some tasty Champs league ties eh? One would think that in City vs Barcelona there should be a hell of a lot of goals.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
At least three stellar ties there and the QF stage should be even better... After City's smash and grab in Munich, I think to pick a winner here is harder than it's ever been

crackerjack

At least three stellar ties there and the QF stage should be even better... After City's smash and grab in Munich, I think to pick a winner here is harder than it's ever been

I quite fancy City for this, especially if Messi is still injured (will he be?). And the Arsenal v Bayern should be fantastic, too. Of course, now that I don't have Sky, I'll have to make do with ITV showing Man United again.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Me too, though Messi's expected to be back by then. I think City being at home in the first leg is an advantage for them in this case, just as it was for Bayern in last year's semi.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It would've seemed completely crazy 12 or even 8 months ago to question Messi's future, but now your suggestion seems credible. I wonder what will happen at Barcelona in general if they now experience a sudden dip in European success for a few years.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
So the top five are seperated by two points now but as a Chelsea fan I'm only concerned about City. I think the rest would need to spend heavily over the transfer window to get the squad depth required for a serious title challenge

crackerjack

So the top five are seperated by two points now but as a Chelsea fan I'm only concerned about City. I think the rest would need to spend heavily over the transfer window to get the squad depth required for a serious title challenge

We'll certainly know more about Liverpool's credentials by Sunday. Think I'd happily take one point from the next 2 games, provided it came from Chelsea rather than City.