admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
In common with quite a few of you I used to listen to a lot of Rap and Breakbeat but it no longer means anything (I should say would mean anything if I still had it all to play).

The allure of most of those 'floor tunes soon faded once 'The Breakbeat Era' was over and I moved on as a DJ. For a few years, though, when it was all 'happening', it was great. Of course, some of those tunes may still sound good but I'm not interested since most have been recycled.

That said, I've kept a choice selection of Jungle, which I dust off now and again and still find interesting/entertaining. Along with some Underground Resistance stuff which has stood the test of time.

As others have said, the Rap thing generally is unlistenable to these ears...but once upon a time I thought the voice of ghetto America was 'essential'. As poets, I can still admire their skills, but I get so much more from Art Blakey than 'Jazz Thing'.

When I DJ'd as part of a collective which prided itself in being eclectic at least we had a sense of historical context, so early eletronic Herbie Hancock was aired alongside Detroit techno or whatever...so I'm certainly not ashamed of what we did...even if it included playing Wall of Sound and Ninja tunes as if they deserved to have the same status as 'Milestones'! ;)

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
I had an uncle who I guess was, in his time, quite cool for his age: in his 40s-50s in the seventies, listening to Barclay James Harvest, Cat Stevens, Manfredd Mann's Earth Band, Al Stewart.

Sadly, my mates were into some horrible stuff so my uncle became my main musical influence. So I was a 12 year old rock and prog rock fan, I loved Dire Straits, BJH, the lot. Which led to Camel and Marillion (at which point, I was saved by Crass, the Smiths and Black Uhuru).

Anyway, Eden was into Marillion too, so it must be some sort of gateway horror...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think Fred Durst knows that much about Fred Durst.

I used to like COLDPLAY.

*shudders to the core of his being*

bob effect

somnambulist
Consolidated
Transglobal Underground
Back To The Planet (was hard to even type those words!)
Senser
Ozrics

+ too much other early nineties twiddly hippy shit to mention. what was I thinking? :eek:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Mainstream American, stodgy 'professional punk': Pennywise, Strung Out (ugh!), Social Distortion, those guys with the Hungarian singer I've blanked the name of, NoFX, Bouncing Souls, Rancid and their spin-offs, The Living End (actually from Auz/NZ I think?), all that sort of thing. The sort of guys that would be the non-headliners at things like Warped Tour, basically.
I still have a soft spot for The Offspring and The Distillers, though (and loads of the underground stuff, obv).

Edit: not forgetting the 'novelty' stuff that went alongside it like Mad Caddies, Voodoo Glow Skulls etc and perhaps even worse, the 'ethnic niche' profesh-punk bands like Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly. Jeezo! This was a fairly large part of 'alternative' music at the turn of the 90s/00s, kids!.

Last edited:

Leo

bad grunge, used to buy all the subpop and amrep releases. some of that stuff is still pretty cool -- mudhoney, halo of flies, etc. -- but a lot is just...pretty crappy.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
Mainstream American, stodgy 'professional punk': Pennywise, Strung Out (ugh!), Social Distortion, those guys with the Hungarian singer I've blanked the name of, NoFX, Bouncing Souls, Rancid and their spin-offs, The Living End (actually from Auz/NZ I think?), all that sort of thing. The sort of guys that would be the non-headliners at things like Warped Tour, basically.
I still have a soft spot for The Offspring and The Distillers, though (and loads of the underground stuff, obv).

Edit: not forgetting the 'novelty' stuff that went alongside it like Mad Caddies, Voodoo Glow Skulls etc and perhaps even worse, the 'ethnic niche' profesh-punk bands like Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly. Jeezo! This was a fairly large part of 'alternative' music at the turn of the 90s/00s, kids!.

see, I still stand by "the originals" - NoFX, Bad Religion. But most of that west coast ramalama bigshorted kiddy punk really was bollocks. I still love Snuff too

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah, Bad Religion had a lot of good stuff. I even used to post on their messge board when I was in high school. (Lols?)
It's all coming back to me just how much of that stuff there was - Vandals, Anti-Flag (L o fukin l...), No Use For A Name, those Canadian guys that had been going for 35 years or something, US Bombs, Beatsteaks, H2O,and of course all of those thousand and one '3rd-wave ska' bands where ska meant having a horn section and playing the odd offbeat guitar chord. It all sold pretty well for ages on a sort of elevated cottage-industry level. Quite a few old hardcore bands even reformed and went down that same stadium-rock production/guitar solos/singalongs route. Strange times..

Chuckle @ big shorts btw. Defining profesh-punk fashion item!

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Ask Sick Boy about Fred Durst/LB - the profundity of his knowledge on the subject matter both hilarious and disturbing.

Now listen here, Mr. Tea. You can take that cookie and stick it up your --

It is true. I am a Limp Bizkit scholar.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
I don't think Fred Durst knows that much about Fred Durst.

I used to like COLDPLAY.

*shudders to the core of his being*

I used to listen to nu-metal, but I'm pleased that I always knew Coldplay were shit. I can't hate people like Limp Bizkit though; to me it's just one of those things that is so bad that it becomes funny so hate or dislike doesn't really apply.