admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
i'm friends with the todd / S&S guys - just buy them some weed and they'll play anywhere you ask

Tell them they have to play in Germany again soon, I'll get them some weed (and I don't even smoke myself). Surely among my favourite concert experiences of the last 10 years. I remember dragging a friend to a Todd show who is really oblivious to this kind of thing, and after witnessing their usual unhinged antics he was convinced that he saw some performance art and not rock music. :mad:

Damien

If I had known 10 years ago that I would end up bring into a genre called 'Funky' I would probably have topped myself

I was savagely into Black Metal back then, still love it but obvious have lost the hatred of house :D

Benny Bunter

You're all far too cool. I admitted to being a massive Oasis fan somewhere near the start of this thread (surely I'm not the only one?) and the only admission I've seen on here that comes close is Sickboy's Modest Mouse phase. I also liked stuff like Cast and Shed 7 and the fucking Bluetones.

Damien

I feel myself going the opposite way

I used to be all about the niche genres, now I love Owl City - Fireflies

productions unreal though

Leo

When i was very young - 11 or 12 or something i used to copy al dimeola pat metheny and boring musical stuff like that from my friends brother, pretty horrible violently 80s music, esp when jan hammer got involved - other than that i'm not really embarrassed about any of the music i like or liked, i bought a sepultura album once and that was good on paper shit on the ears, so i gave it away.

yeah, that too: my brother was really into fusion stuff like stanley clark and jeff beck, as well as LA jazz like tom scott and the brecker brothers. rubbed off on me for a while before i discovered lou reed and sparks.

zhao

there are no accidents
You're all far too cool. I admitted to being a massive Oasis fan somewhere near the start of this thread (surely I'm not the only one?) and the only admission I've seen on here that comes close is Sickboy's Modest Mouse phase. I also liked stuff like Cast and Shed 7 and the fucking Bluetones.

i liked BonJovi when i was 11! i thought Living on a Prayer was the best song in the history of the universe.

mms

sometimes
yeah, that too: my brother was really into fusion stuff like stanley clark and jeff beck, as well as LA jazz like tom scott and the brecker brothers. rubbed off on me for a while before i discovered lou reed and sparks.

i don't mind a bit of stan clarke this was al dimeola super ugly fiddly fast guitar shit steve gadd. yuck

Benny Bunter

i liked BonJovi when i was 11! i thought Living on a Prayer was the best song in the history of the universe.

Yeah but you were only 11, that doesn't count. When I was 11 I used to like my older sisters New kids on the block albums ffs. Funnily enough around the same time I loved all the old skool rave stuff that I've come back around to loving nowadays. At that age you have virtually no discernment or concept of good taste at all. Which is lovely when you think about it...

mms

sometimes
The idea of Claro being sandwiched in between Falco and Collins makes me want to cry, frankly.

;)

Can't help but agree with you on Kruder and Dorfmeister, though...

oh yeah i had a falco album and a sigue sigue sputnik album, the falco album was shit though.

suprised at the number of people who liked ninja tune i've only ever had one ninja tune 12" - just something overall about it as a label, the crap logo the rubbishy sampledelic whatever the fuck theory, the music thats about as exciting as buying a pint of milk, didn't seem to have any focussed intent.

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
oh yeah i had a falco album and a sigue sigue sputnik album, the falco album was shit though.

suprised at the number of people who liked ninja tune i've only ever had one ninja tune 12" - just something overall about it as a label, the crap logo the rubbishy sampledelic whatever the fuck theory, the music thats about as exciting as buying a pint of milk, didn't seem to have any focussed intent.

yeah true.

they did release Poison Dart tho. And the Loefah remix of Jah War..

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Come on, man, Coldplay are much worse than Oasis.

At least Oasis were commited to noble ideals like snorting huge lines of charlie and smoking fags for breakfast.

I was a massive Oasis fan up to their third album. I can never turn my back on them now, although I can see why people hate them.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

awful label (still like that coldcut mix though). I foolishly bought a 3CD best of, and, 'Tried by 12' aside, it was fairly miserable. See also Mo Wax, Shadow aside.

PS I have had many more exciting milk-buying expeditions over the years.

Benny Bunter

Fair enough, but are you admitting you were a coldplay fan here or not?

Haven't listened to it for years but I reckon I'd probably still like Definitely maybe. Especially Slide Away which is a lush song, I don't care what anyone says.

swears

preppy-kei
I have always been super cool and had impeccable taste. My first record was the first Basic Channel 12" when I was ten.

Nahh... I quite liked some Blur songs when I was about that age, though. Although "Girls and Boys" is still brill I reckon.

swears

preppy-kei
And for dance cred, this is the version I liked best anyway.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I also liked all the shitty one hit wonder eurodance singles around at the time like Rednex, Whigfield, Outhere Brothers, that "Short Dick Man" one...
But so what? I was ten.

swears

preppy-kei
This was a big tune at my school:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Benny Bunter

This was a big tune at my school:

Yes! Ha ha, me and my old school mate were just reminiscing about this tune the other day. None more puerile.

mms

sometimes
Yes! Ha ha, me and my old school mate were just reminiscing about this tune the other day. None more puerile.

samples this deep house masterpiece