admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
NoMeansNo? Now they were and are awesome.. One of the most musically inventive bands I've ever seen. Just a shame they got lumped in with all the dross...

Nah not them - they are good (although I was never really an expert on them). I was thinking of SNFU. Who have probably done some alright stuff in their time, to be fair.
(Using initials for your name is another big North American punk-rock thing).

mixed_biscuits

The love that endures in the face of hate is the greatest love of all.

bad grunge, used to buy all the subpop and amrep releases. some of that stuff is still pretty cool -- mudhoney, halo of flies, etc. -- but a lot is just...pretty crappy.

I still love some of that stuff, Cows, Unsane, Tar, Hammerhead, early Helmet ... undestroyable.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
AmRep was an awesome label.

I still long to put on an "arsequake" (pfft) night in London. Book Todd or Shit & Shine, play stuff on Amrep, Buttholes, Killdozer, Jesus Lizard, Happy Flowers etc.

All ten of us that go will love it :)

petergunn

plywood violin
Mainstream American, stodgy 'professional punk': Pennywise, Strung Out (ugh!), Social Distortion, those guys with the Hungarian singer I've blanked the name of, NoFX, Bouncing Souls, Rancid and their spin-offs, The Living End (actually from Auz/NZ I think?), all that sort of thing. The sort of guys that would be the non-headliners at things like Warped Tour, basically.
I still have a soft spot for The Offspring and The Distillers, though (and loads of the underground stuff, obv).

Edit: not forgetting the 'novelty' stuff that went alongside it like Mad Caddies, Voodoo Glow Skulls etc and perhaps even worse, the 'ethnic niche' profesh-punk bands like Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly. Jeezo! This was a fairly large part of 'alternative' music at the turn of the 90s/00s, kids!.

ignite

good live band, saw them in 96 at a church basement in cambridge, ma. ... never bought any of their records... tho they are more hardcore than punky bands liek Pennywise and NoFx... (who i never liked)... as an east coaster, i found most cali pop punk to be wacky, weak, and dim... Bad Religion (while not funny (well, not on purpose)) seem like the musical prototype for all these bands... when i moved to san diego, i begin hearing that stuff EVERYWHERE and grew to be fond of it as it really is a soundtrack to a certain lifestyle out there, but it's not like i bought any records or anything...

Dropkick Murphy's... ugh, don't get started...

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
AmRep was an awesome label.

I still long to put on an "arsequake" (pfft) night in London. Book Todd or Shit & Shine, play stuff on Amrep, Buttholes, Killdozer, Jesus Lizard, Happy Flowers etc.

All ten of us that go will love it :)

i think all that Amrep stuff has aged well all things considered... i'll take a band like Hammerhead over Sonic Youth or whatever indie rock band of the week people are listening to now...

I used to properly love hard house as a young teen - Tidy Trax, Tony De Vit, Trauma, Lisa Lashes, Tinrib, Nukleuz, Jon Doe, the whole shebang. Thought it was true rebel music. Can't stand most of it now although I still hold a few tracks dear. Pants 'n' Corset 'Malice in Wonderland', Tony De Vit's 'The Dawn' etc...

I think my need to 'belong' to something underground and abrasive mired my judgement of the actual music. Didn't click with Garage as everyone was 'into it.' I HATED it when hard house got big around 2001-2 and my classmates started bringing Fergie and Lisa Lashes mixes into school. I used to tell them it wasn't 'true' hard house when deep down I knew it was. :rolleyes:

BareBones

wheezy
i liked tons of obscure shitty indie bands (eg, Seafood) back in the day. I went through a stage of listening to loads of Scottish bands nobody had heard of, like Ballboy or Eska, but it did sort of pay off about five years ago when I sold the first Biffy Clyro single to some chump on ebay for £150.

edit: it occurs to me that my taste in music was actually way cooler in my early teens than it was in my mid/late teens. When i was 11-14 my favourite music was snoopy doggy dogg, nwa, nirvana, and all my sister's ratpack rave tapes. Then somehow by age 16 i thought steve lamacq was really cool. WTF?

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
IDM.

also smoked crack cocaine on several occasions during uni. (didn't like it though)

Leo

i'm friends with the todd / S&S guys - just buy them some weed and they'll play anywhere you ask

maybe the nme would hype it as "the new grunge/pigfuck revival" and run interviews with scene godfathers Tad, God Bullies, etc.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
edit: it occurs to me that my taste in music was actually way cooler in my early teens than it was in my mid/late teens. When i was 11-14 my favourite music was snoopy doggy dogg, nwa, nirvana, and all my sister's ratpack rave tapes. Then somehow by age 16 i thought steve lamacq was really cool. WTF?

16 is when the pretension really kicks in.

I was into happy hardcore for a few months when I was 13. I need to get hold of United Dance 5 on cassette. Once I do I'm going to lock myself in my room with it and a g of mdma and remind myself what it feels like to be entirely devoid of cynicism/taste.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also when I first got into hiphop I was really into Ice-T, 2pac, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang, No Limit etc... and then after a year or two I was buying fucking Mike Ladd albums and writing polysyllabic pseudopoetic lyrics in my notepads (next to the etchings of muscular men with guns and/or big ganja leaves).

Richard Carnage

i liked tons of obscure shitty indie bands (eg, Seafood) back in the day. I went through a stage of listening to loads of Scottish bands nobody had heard of, like Ballboy or Eska.

Same here. Need to pull out my copy of Surviving The Quiet and see just how badly it's aged! Looked up Ballboy a week ago, and they're still chipping away, surprisingly enough. Have fond memories of "I Hate Scotland" and "A Nationwide Search For Love", but there was plenty of other crap that I was listening to before going the way of post-rock and electronica.

Leo

i bought the first few primal scream singles on creation when they came out, and went on to get pretty much everything they released for years. there was something cool about their various phases, even if totally derivative.

mms

sometimes
When i was very young - 11 or 12 or something i used to copy al dimeola pat metheny and boring musical stuff like that from my friends brother, pretty horrible violently 80s music, esp when jan hammer got involved - other than that i'm not really embarrassed about any of the music i like or liked, i bought a sepultura album once and that was good on paper shit on the ears, so i gave it away.