admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

zhao

there are no accidents
bonnie prince billy. can't believe i really "felt" these pathetic songs at one time. it's so self conscious and nauseating...

if i want self-pity music i listen to 1930s Chicago Blues.

N

nomadologist

i
(3) the Juan Maclean (and i'd go so far as to say that he really does suck, so disgustingly detroit derivative -- and even worse live)

huh. i thought they were great live. especially after they got that kid nick on electro-percussion.

i may have given them extra points because nick and the supporting band are really fun and cool. mr. m himself has a pretty nasty napoleon complex.

N

nomadologist

Liars are a lot more interesting than any of those other NYC post-post-shit.

what do you think of this latest album tho???? i can't get my ahead around what the fuck they're trying to do. i guess that's been their point since the first album, but it may be their ultimate downfall--if you try too hard to resist being pigeonholed in any way, you may end up ...just that inconsistent

i really liked They Were Wrong when it first came out, now i would probably never put it on.

the number one thing I think SUCKS now that i once tried to like is (wait for it) PAVEMENT

ugh

N

nomadologist

All the Fall stuff between 1978 and 1985, you couldn't pay me to listen to "Grotesque" or "Hex Enduction Hour" now. I can remember listening to the former when we lived in this dosshole above an insurance shop in Camberwell in 1995, and thinking 'C n C S'mithering' and 'The NWRA' were great; now they just sound like some neurotic whiner banging on over weedy non-riffs, and remind me of long cold winter afternoons watching dreary 1940s UK black and white films while the electricity meter dropped below £1.00. However I still like "The Infotainment Scan" from 1993.

yeah, the fall sure sounded better when I did speed constantly and was angry and 19-years-old. but i still like em enough. listened to dragnet the other day and enjoyed it.

skim

Hot Chip. Maybe I never really liked them but thought they were clever all the same. Now in context they just sound cheap.

I have really tried to work out their appeal, but all I hear is lame, timid synth-pop by men in ironic windcheaters.

Another vote for Nick Drake here... it all sounded so right when I was 17, but I can't bear to hear his melancholy mumbling ever again.

The Chemical Brothers: For some inexplicable reason, there was one year when I saw them three times and was whooping at The Private Psychedelic Reel with everyone else. Now the mere thought of Beth Orton makes me want to throw up over Tom Rowlands' lanky hair.

Breakbeat: I am the sorry owner of a bunch of half-arsed plodstep anthems which I bought in the mistaken belief that they would make good floor-fillers: never the best way for a DJ to approach record-buying.

I'm sure there's more, but writing this post is starting to feel painful :mad:

S

simon silverdollar

blectum from blechdom...at the time it seemed quite funny and interestingly grotty. now it just seems shit.

at the start of the decade, that kind of wry, pseudo-immature schtick was quite popular but God it's tiresome now.

mixed_biscuits

I can't really think of anything I used to like and now hate, annoyingly.

However, there is stuff that I used to hate and now appreciate.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
"Just catchy enough"... that's precisely Hot Chip's problem. Not offensive, but not much good either. Just... there. Plodding along in an unassuming plinky-plonky vaguely arty way. Meh.

I have yet to understand how Hot Chip differ from any other group of former indie rockers cashing in on the highly fashionable electro-house craze. And I know that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but watching the video for 'Over and Over' and actually seeing these guys certainly doesn't help either. They've got every hipster archetype that I hate: guy with ironic sunglasses who makes loads of money off cocaine because he sells to guys who look like girls, a fat guy who acts like a retard, and a guy with a dirty 12 year old just-hit-puberty mustache.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

I just went and watched the video for "Over and Over", and it has completely demolished my enjoyment of that Hot Chip album. The level of douchebaggery on display is staggering.

straight

wings cru
i kind of went backwards at hot chip, thought the first album was painfully trying to be clever and knowing but the warning was awesome. unfortunately i do this quite a lot as i dismiss any band my girlfriend likes first before i can formulate a proper opinion...pathetic i know.

but back on point, bmore. how the hell could i ever have been entertained by that? i like it when diplos chewed it into a nice paste and fed it back to me like a lot of ghetto musics (baile, kurduru) getting hammered by the blog house contingent but most of the source materials a load of old brainless pony. they dont even have the excuse of living in the developing world.

and i hate to say it but i think i dont like animal collective anymore, theyve lost a lot of why i liked them on feels, too much chirpy yelping, not enough of the electonic lost in the woods disorientating noise i loved them for spirit theyve gone/danse manatee period. prob still go see them tomoro though

edit; they went downhill, early stuff is awesome, i checked

Last edited:

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
but back on point, bmore. how the hell could i ever have been entertained by that? i like it when diplos chewed it into a nice paste and fed it back to me like a lot of ghetto musics (baile, kurduru) getting hammered by the blog house contingent but most of the source materials a load of old brainless pony. they dont even have the excuse of living in the developing world.

Bmore is jumping the shark with undue blogger/hollertronix attention, now any bearded douchebag with an ironic louis vuitton cap can crank out baltimore mixes to every song on the top 40 in a weekend. I really like the older stuff though, a lot of weird manipulations of loops and samples, cranking out uncanniness from old R&B and stuff, maybe a lil like hardcore. Also Blaqstarr's stuff is pretty much amazing.

N

nomadologist

With bootymore stuff, I can still really appreciate the beats and the production values (though I was never heavy heavy into it when it was fresh and new). I think the silliness of the lyrics and whatnot are a reaction to the social politics of the day, and as such feel hard to relate to anymore on that "hahah this is hilarious and maybe even subversive" level.

zhao

there are no accidents
do you guys see bmore becoming a mature genre? (not mature as in lyrics about existentialism but mature as in stylistically developed and varied enough to become something that will be around for the next 10 years) or flavor of the year?

N

nomadologist

wait, are we talking about DJ Assault bmore or current Diplo-esque stuff that's going on?

speaking of baltimore-based musicians, I kinda really loved those Mu albums

zhao

there are no accidents
dj assault booty bass is already a mature genre and has been for a minute yeah? i'm talm bout that sped up R'n'B ghetto gabba gutter shit

755157-600277.jpg