admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

mos dan

fact music
i really can't believe i used to like beck. i can't believe that i didn't see his lyrics for the horrendous bullshit that they were. being 14 at the time is no kind of an excuse. *hangs head in shame*

dominic

Beast of Burden
i have very rarely turned on records or bands that i positively *loved* on first hearing

rather, there's lots of stuff that i've acquired over the years that i've subsequently unloaded at used shops or on ebay, but wouldn't say that i ever *loved* or now *hate* -- merely slightly embarrassed to have paid $ for it in first place -- and would now call either a bit too silly/cheesy/vapid or downright boring, i.e., the MEDIOCRE

so without further ado

(1) lots of IDM -- including now slightly regretful purges of aphex twin and boards of canada, albeit all on CD, so not a major over-reaction

(2) some early 90s breakbeat and late 90s 2-step -- though these were not on the order of purges, merely off-loadings of second-rate records that i acquired because of scarcity on the north american market, i.e., sometimes a bit too desperate to buy and so i then later regret such purchase and then re-sell on ebay

i had a rare and unidentified 2-step remix of "narra mine" that i foolishly gave to a good mate, heard him play it out the other nite, and kinda regretted not holding on to . . . . but whatever, easy come, easy go

moving on, the stuff that i bought on HYPE and simply don't see the value of, but wouldn't say that i "hate" . . . .

(1) David Banner, "Mississippi" -- i'm not a hip hop man, so i had no business buying in the fist place -- and in general i'll probably eventually sell all hip hop albums still left in my possession -- but i really did kinda feel the syrupy blues of David Banner, until the novelty effect wore off

(2) Dizzy Rascal, "Boy on Corner" -- grime was nothing but hype for north americans, wasn't the kind of thing that could be taken out of its uk context

(3) the Juan Maclean (and i'd go so far as to say that he really does suck, so disgustingly detroit derivative -- and even worse live)

(4) all the cheap guilty pleasure neo-nyc punk-to-postpunk bands of the early 00s, but whom i would never say i hate ===== the Strokes, the Rapture, the Liars, Interpol -- so damn mediocre, but i give em credit for capturing the zeitgeist and behind ahead of the revival curve

(5) Peaches -- but i wouldn't mind having her first on vinyl back

(6) Lady Sov + MIA -- i actually did *love* "Galang" the first time i heard it, ran up to the dj to inquire -- now "Galang" and "Random," the only two i ever bought by either artist, are clinging to dear life in my record collection

(7) John Spencer Blues Explosion and the like -- yeah, the pickings for indie rock were slim back in the mid-90s too -- so damn ironic and mannered, nothing new to say, just a bad joke

Benny Bunter

When I tried to type this post in 10 minutes ago my computer crashed! Almost as if it didn't want me to admit that I once liked...Oasis :eek:

not just liked them, I LOVED them! WENT TO SEE THEM! BOUGHT THE T-SHIRT!

Jesus, that was difficult, but I feel a whole lot better now for admitting it. Please don't tell me I'm alone...

zhao

there are no accidents
Liars are a lot more interesting than any of those other NYC post-post-shit.

Lady Sov is a proper MC with some lyrical skills to contend with. MIA is a stupid candy.

sing_minimal

there's lots of stuff i used to listen that i find completly dull nowdays..i don't hate it but it does nothing for me. there's only like 2 % of good stuff in almost any genre.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i really can't believe i used to like beck. i can't believe that i didn't see his lyrics for the horrendous bullshit that they were. being 14 at the time is no kind of an excuse. *hangs head in shame*

I hate him, but the first album did have a kind of lo-fi charm. That he completely lost with the next record.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
just to say that from my experience, if this is to happen to you it's definitely going to have to happen in a club :)

also, it probably would have happened about six years ago and have left you thinking that it's all gone to cock since 2005.

and, before i'm publicly outed, yes, i was at fwd on friday and no i didn't enjoy it very much, tho i will concede that it was good to see the generals and skepta!

on a more serious note, my answer to this question has to be anything even vaguely broken beat/west london/new jazzish.
sure, there were plenty of good songs within this genre and lots of really good producers.
in the past i've really enjoyed stuff by ig culture, seiji, even jazzanova.
i've even have had a lot of fun at nights like co-op (hell, in a weird, roundabout kind of way, i even met my girlfriend there), so i really don't want to make it sound like i think everything about this scene is terrible. it's not. if nothing else, some of the people involved are really lovely on a purely personal level.
however, i have to say that it totally does my nut in.
obviously the centrality of knowledge and tastefulness are all very much part of the mod/jazz/soulboy tradition, so it's almost pointless saying that this is annoying. it's so much a part of the whole thing that if you get irritable about stuff like that (which i do quite often) you've really got no business listening to any of it in the first place.
still, the lack of discernment of listeners, the discouragement of criticism either in or outside of the scene and the almost total non-existence of quality control among its artists is quite flabbergasting at times — and completely totally contrary to the general uppitiness referred to earlier.
i'm only saying this because i made the mistake of reviewing a seiji compilation in the wire a while ago, positively and deservedly so. since then i've been deluged with shite like i've never even imagined existed before.
one recent package actually contained one of the most hateful things i've ever seen. it's an album on sonar kollektiv with an accompanying haute cuisine recipe book and fine wine list to accompany every track.
needless to say you don't need to hear this to know that it's an apalling idea, but it actually made me feel pretty queasy to even read about.

Last edited:

Leo

lcd soundsystem and anything of dfa records...i used to SO love this stuff, run out and buy each 12", etc. now, i've haven't even bothered to buy (or even hear) that last lcd album. can't say i hate it, but just doesn't interest me at all.

btw, this concept of loving something then disliking it over time isn't really that unusual. perhaps a more interesting thread would be to go in the opposite direction: things you disliked/disregarded when they first came out that you later (even years later) ended up buying and loving.

for me: i was very much a late-comer to john fahey and his finger-pickin' minions. also all the finnish psych-folk on fonal records, thought it was a lot of twee "i-could-do-that" crap on first listen.

what were you decidedly behind the curve on?

S

simon silverdollar

i used to hate daft punk- saw them as so self-consciously hip that all the fun was sucked out and replaced with dead-eyed kitschy irony (hello Beck!). now i love them...i was so, so wrong.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i used to hate daft punk- saw them as so self-consciously hip that all the fun was sucked out and replaced with dead-eyed kitschy irony (hello Beck!). now i love them...i was so, so wrong.

I detested discovery when i first heard it, but now i think it's an absolutely terrific album

mms

sometimes

thats funny as usually it's the self consciously hip n underground electronic music ppl who hated them.
i like some of their tracks.

funny what you're saying about west london stuff stelfox, that's how it is with dubstep on the dubstep forum too to a large extent.
what is it about tastefulness and the english, it's the best friend of their uptight repression.

bassnation

the abyss
I detested discovery when i first heard it, but now i think it's an absolutely terrific album

still not feeling that shiny disco ball thing really.

they definitely peaked with rolling and scratching, one of the best and most mental house records ever to be pressed on vinyl. wheres the equal of this in minimal? nowhere from what i can see.

mms

sometimes
still not feeling that shiny disco ball thing really.

they definitely peaked with rolling and scratching, one of the best and most mental house records ever to be pressed on vinyl. wheres the equal of this in minimal? nowhere from what i can see.

i really really like the new alter ego track 'why not?'
maybe this is it?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
funny what you're saying about west london stuff stelfox, that's how it is with dubstep on the dubstep forum too to a large extent.
what is it about tastefulness and the english, it's the best friend of their uptight repression.

that's exactly my problem with a lot of dubstep, too, to be honest — and, honestly, i think a lot of the same things come into play in both scenes... the idea that they're both underground musics that you need to be initiated into before you can really understand them, "for the heads", not much crossover with other styles, all existing in its own self-important bubble... i guess i prefer them both as stand-alone records rather than scenes, per se..

STN

sou'wester
I think the idea of a different recipe and fine wine for every track is rather marvellous (if only because I think no one would ever actually carry it through). I might compile an Oi! album with a different feisty beverage for each track.

Exploited: Buckfast
Cockney Rejects: Tennants Super
The Ejected: White Ace
Chron Gen: Lynx Pilsener (or something else feeble and rather rubbish)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
the only way i'd condone it is if you had to listen to it in one sitting, drinking 12 bottles of wine and eating 12 courses in just over an hour

martin

----
the only way i'd condone it is if you had to listen to it in one sitting, drinking 12 bottles of wine and eating 12 courses in just over an hour

Are they just light snacks? Presumably each song is 5 minutes long, would you have to wolf it all down in that time, or would you have the track on repeat play? Also, what sort of recipes? I'm curious as to what jazz fans eat in their pads.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
even 12 light snacks and 12 glasses of wine in an hour would be a challenge worth taking up - feel like giving it a try, with or without the the jazz? you could webcam it!

Last edited: