admitting you were wrong: music you used to like and now hate

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date

swears

preppy-kei
I put on Beck's Odelay the other day and I was pleasantly suprised, the messy, sample based production really compliments the songs rather than just sounding tacked on.

If somebody made an album like that now, it would sound shit, though. I think The Dust Brothers nailed that collage production style in terms of "song" based records.

martin

----
Yeah, why not? STN can knock us up a playlist. For extra fun we can chuck in some Agnostic Front tunes, it'll be like 'La Grande Boeuf' on fast forward

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Agnostic Front: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Not sure what the snacks would be for these. I'll put some Sheltered Youth in the middle to give you a bean burgers and pepsi break.

martin

----
Agnostic Front: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Not sure what the snacks would be for these. I'll put some Sheltered Youth in the middle to give you a bean burgers and pepsi break.

If it's Oi! it'd be crisps or Weetabix or something. Anarcho-punk = quiche

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
When I tried to type this post in 10 minutes ago my computer crashed! Almost as if it didn't want me to admit that I once liked...Oasis :eek:

not just liked them, I LOVED them! WENT TO SEE THEM! BOUGHT THE T-SHIRT!

Jesus, that was difficult, but I feel a whole lot better now for admitting it. Please don't tell me I'm alone...
Not alone. In fact, I can beat that.

I was once a fan of...[deep breath]...Phil Collins. :confused: [weeps silently into shirt sleeve] I OWNED EVERY SOLO RECORD UNTIL "BOTH SIDES"!!! :eek:

Then I discovered grunge and sold the whole works to the local used CD shop. Bye bye Phil. Be free.

Nice hi-jack by STN, martin, and stelfox. At least Oi! would have flavour; minimal would be just an hour's worth of bread and water. :p

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What about indie-by-numbers wimp-rock? I reckon it'd be Dairy Lea between two slices of Mighty White, sans crusts.

martin

----
What about indie-by-numbers wimp-rock? I reckon it'd be Dairy Lea between two slices of Mighty White, sans crusts.

Yeah, but wrapped in cellophane and left in a newsagent booth in Kings X Station for three months, before being sold to a toothless nun for £4

dHarry

Nice hi-jack by STN, martin, and stelfox. At least Oi! would have flavour; minimal would be just an hour's worth of bread and water. :p
Nah, dry cream crackers (or would that be Milles Plateaux glitch) ;-)

James Blunt et al would be just a rancid pool of warm I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (hmm... Coldplay's Yellow also fits this bill).

henry s

Street Fighting Man
all that ambient dub stuff from the mid-90's (Drum Club, Full Moon Scientist, Reload, Higher Intelligence Agency, Banco Da Gaia, Loop Guru, Bandulu, etc.), seemed so cool at the time...(I can't say I hate it now, just can no longer find what made it appealing)...

zhao

there are no accidents
all that ambient dub stuff from the mid-90's (Drum Club, Full Moon Scientist, Reload, Higher Intelligence Agency, Banco Da Gaia, Loop Guru, Bandulu, etc.), seemed so cool at the time...(I can't say I hate it now, just can no longer find what made it appealing)...

well it's clear what made it appealling at the time: futuristic, dubby, spaced out, psychedelic, crazy electronic sounds, "depth".

i hope in 10 years time we don't feel the same about dubstep :confused:

bassnation

the abyss

ketamine entity by higher intelligence agency is a wicked tune - that vamping subbass drives me nuts. drum club also had their moments - and bandulu, well i still spin some of their tunes. they went totally wank after a while admittedly - but what i'm trying to say is don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

banco de gaia can never be rehabilitated however.

bassnation

the abyss
even 12 light snacks and 12 glasses of wine in an hour would be a challenge worth taking up - feel like giving it a try, with or without the the jazz? you could webcam it!

yes yes yes! please do this. i think the jazz has to be a key component of the video. especially if it ends like i suspect it would via a huge pile of vomit just as the album comes to a close. sort of sums up acid jazz in quite a poetic way.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i do not want to throw up on camera! bandulu were quite great - things like "crisis a' gwarn" were in no way fluffy or ambient. in fact, the whole fight the apressers ep was pretty skronking and massive

Kate Mossad

Nick Cave. For years I bought the albums and felt more disappointed each time. I listened to them once or twice and then filed them away, consoling myself with the thought that he was still great live. In 2003 I got to the end of a track called Rock of Gibralter on the Nocturama album and just thought "this is rubbish, total rubbish". Since then I haven't looked back, Grinderman included. I'm just not interested and the thought of sitting down and listening to him now makes my toes curl.

Loads of post-ambient, isolationist stuff recommended by the Wire in the mid-90s that usually turned out to be 74 minutes of exquisitely produced fuck all.

Last edited:

martin

----
like it!

but surely anarcho punk should be cheap cider combined with some kind of tasteless lentil-based slurry?

I just asked Penny Rimbaud, here's his verdict:

Crass, Poison Girls = lentil bake with brown rice, washed down with vat of Tetleys (no milk), 30 roll-ups

Flux of Pink Indians, Dirt = nettle and oat burger, Merrydown

Conflict, Apostles = chips with coleslaw, Special Brew, drugs

bassnation

the abyss
I just asked Penny Rimbaud, here's his verdict:

Crass, Poison Girls = lentil bake with brown rice, washed down with vat of Tetleys (no milk), 30 roll-ups

Flux of Pink Indians, Dirt = nettle and oat burger, Merrydown

Conflict, Apostles = chips with coleslaw, Special Brew, drugs

i used to have a crusty mate called itchy (lol) who used to wear two pairs of jeans (both a greeny-grey, with the original colour of both being lost in the mists of time) slashed up. he literally never washed and mum asked me to never bring him round the house as she'd have to open all the windows once he'd left. he subsisted on a diet (being a vegan) of chips and non-animal fat digestive biscuits - to be honest i've seen healthier looking crackheads.

just thought you'd like to know.

shudder

this stuff always made me fume. that cloudead could actually be taken seriously rather then be seen through as the horrible pretentious stuff that it is, and having nothing whatsoever to do with hip hop. having said that and with that idea in mind the last odd nosdam record was really great, like god speed with a home studio set up and a brave face.

so funny! I bought one of the clouddead albums (maybe on recommendation from the wire? can you believe they had them on the cover with the headline "Hip Hop's Silver Lining"?? What's with that?), and kept trying to like it, maybe once every couple of months. I even remember trying to convince other people it was really cool. oy.